Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

The CSA finally announced the kickoff time for our friendly against Uruguay! 🥳

Actually, that was a lie, who am I kiddin' , as per usual we get the key info from our opponents. 😅😅

The Asociación Uruguaya de Fútbol announced the kickoff time:

https://auf.org.uy/detalles-de-la-fecha-fifa-del-mes-de-setiembre/

6pm local,       noon Eastern,       9am Pacific.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

40 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The CSA finally announced the kickoff time for our friendly against Uruguay! 🥳

Actually, that was a lie, who am I kiddin' , as per usual we get the key info from our opponents. 😅😅

The Asociación Uruguaya de Fútbol announced the kickoff time:

https://auf.org.uy/detalles-de-la-fecha-fifa-del-mes-de-setiembre/

6pm local, noon Eastern, 9am Pacific.

Good that local kick-off is early at 6pm vs 7pm. The last express train back to Vienna is 10:27pm, so don't need to stay over in Bratislava.

Uruguay should be an interesting test. I don’t think they’re as solid as they were in years past, so it should be competitive. I think CONCACAF competition is stiffer than AFC, so this should be the best match for preparation. I know the game isn’t being played in Uruguay, but it would be nice to be sitting on a beach in Punta del Este, probably the best beaches I’ve ever been to. 😇

It will be good to see us against non CONCACAF opposition on new-to-us- grounds. We’ve been in the ghetto for so long that any new challenges at a decent level are welcome.

And aside from the suitability - or not - of Uruguay, Quatar and Japan’s styles to prepare for playing Euro and Euro-African sides, our manager is so extremely reactive in his style that it’s a good test playing one off matches. Like during the world cup we will not have a second chance to get it right. That is very much unlike our usual thing. 

I'm waiting for betting odds for Canada vs Qatar. I think bookies will put us on par with Qatar which, imo, is false and a good value bet. If you look at Qatar's results in the past year they've had bad results against mediocre teams. They are going to get shredded in the World Cup I think. And Canada will lay a beating on them. Solid 2 or 3-0 win.

5 hours ago, toontownman said:

Zero excuse not to have a 30 ish squad size. If players get injured we need players on standby that are acclimatized to the team and set up.

Not expecting any big surprises or they likely would have been leaked or hinted.

No no doesn’t make sense 

3 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

If anyone can help.. need confirmation, Canada v Uruguay is in Slovakia and Canada v Qatar is in Vienna?

There is a train that goes between VIenna and Bratislava. We are staying in VIenna and travelling to Bratislava the day of match, kickoff is 6pm (per Uruguay Soccer Federation). There is an express train back to Vienna at 10:27pm