Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

About Spain depth charts, just a few things. 

First, you can't put him in the senior pool, obviously, just as Spain has many u-20s who are not going to the u-20 pool ever again. They may not go to the Olympics either, they are past it, like Pedri, Gavi, Nico, Balde, Yeremy Pino--who is a right wing, the key player ahead of them all at right wing.

Then, for the Spanish u-20 set up: he was the best u-19 winger in the country last season, or at least in the conversation. Got to the u-19 cup final vs. Real Madrid, age 18 I think. So would he be considered for Spain: no doubt.

Third, his teammates at Espanyol B are also in Spain youth callups. Simo the CB and Roger Martínez were released from friendly callups this week to go to Bilbao for the Cup match. 

Have to say: Spain got to the Olympic final, playing well (Puado his teammate was on that team), but they are not qualified for the u-20 WC, they've been slipping a bit. Or maybe the problem is that Luis Enrique was taking the best talent for the seniors.

Finally, he may not go for the Spanish passport if he has his Italian, as it would not be necessary. But that's another narrative: Italy may come knocking.

57 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He just repeats the same banalities-no one has seen him play, we can't evaluate him, we have no idea how good he might be.

Well the US took him to a u-20 B camp and had him play far below his level, against joke rivals. He must have been shocked, a pro, even a new pro, knows the difference. Almost immediately after he had his first minutes on the first team of Espanyol and accepted our call-up. So it is not constructive or helpful at all when he can't admit the US disrespected the player, with their amateur little coaching set-ups, and he reacted accordingly.

NB. Ayo went to a US camp in late 2021 and almost immediately accepted our callup. There is a pattern there.

Three and a half years is a long time. He's not in a rush to commit. There are only two countries he has a chance to make a 2026 WC roster. USA and Canada.

1 hour ago, Sechat23 said:

Three and a half years is a long time. He's not in a rush to commit. There are only two countries he has a chance to make a 2026 WC roster. USA and Canada.

If Yeremy Pino can go to Qatar with Spain, you'd have to argue that if he progresses well on the wing he could make a Spain squad. Yeremy Pino is great, at 19, but he's not better than Weah or, say, Buchanan.

Anyways, players don't rep countries just to go to World Cups, they do it because it enhances their careers in general.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He just repeats the same banalities-no one has seen him play, we can't evaluate him, we have no idea how good he might be.

Well the US took him to a u-20 B camp and had him play far below his level, against joke rivals. He must have been shocked, a pro, even a new pro, knows the difference. Almost immediately after he had his first minutes on the first team of Espanyol and accepted our call-up. So it is not constructive or helpful at all when he can't admit the US disrespected the player, with their amateur little coaching set-ups, and he reacted accordingly.

NB. Ayo went to a US camp in late 2021 and almost immediately accepted our callup. There is a pattern there.

That's a very good point and something I didn't know about (the context of his youth team experience). 

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That's a very good point and something I didn't know about (the context of his youth team experience). 

I don't know anything firm, that was late April. Shortly after we learned of him.

My interpretation is that if you go to a camp, and shortly after accept a call up from another country, you were not too impressed with the camp, its set up, the training, the people, whatever. 

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/u-20-usmnt-roster-announced-for-training-camp-in-carson-california/

That's the camp, if you look at it carefully, you could make this conclusion. 11 guys to their first camp, 10 to their second. The reports repeat they are all "fringe" players who could "potentially play their way into  consideration." They even have a NCAA guy and an unattached. Only 4 from European teams, all good, the rest MLS or lower in the US.

He might have felt they were pegging him far below his real level.

I'm saying it is a B camp, and it was. For the u-20 qualifiers in June-July, of these guys: 2 keepers made the roster; one defender; one mid, who only joined qualifiers after the group stage; one striker. 5 guys were deemed part of the u-20 mix.

So Koleosho was on a US B camp of outsiders looking in, playing friendly scrimmages against crappy NCAA teams in their offseason and the like. His league play in Spain u-19 would have been a higher level.

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't know anything firm, that was late April. Shortly after we learned of him.

My interpretation is that if you go to a camp, and shortly after accept a call up from another country, you were not too impressed with the camp, its set up, the training, the people, whatever. 

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/u-20-usmnt-roster-announced-for-training-camp-in-carson-california/

That's the camp, if you look at it carefully, you could make this conclusion. 11 guys to their first camp, 10 to their second. The reports repeat they are all "fringe" players who could "potentially play their way into  consideration." They even have a NCAA guy and an unattached. Only 4 from European teams, all good, the rest MLS or lower in the US.

He might have felt they were pegging him far below his real level.

I'm saying it is a B camp, and it was. For the u-20 qualifiers in June-July, of these guys: 2 keepers made the roster; one defender; one mid, who only joined qualifiers after the group stage; one striker. 5 guys were deemed part of the u-20 mix.

So Koleosho was on a US B camp of outsiders looking in, playing friendly scrimmages against crappy NCAA teams in their offseason and the like. His league play in Spain u-19 would have been a higher level.

Not trying to troll but you could also say when Canada called him up, Luca don't get any minutes from a couple of games that Canada had. Yes, Canada was getting ready for the WC. My statement still stands. Luca also sew the bad from Canada when players were not happy. 

16 minutes ago, Sechat23 said:

Not trying to troll but you could also say when Canada called him up, Luca don't get any minutes from a couple of games that Canada had. Yes, Canada was getting ready for the WC. My statement still stands. Luca also sew the bad from Canada when players were not happy. 

Your statement totally stumbles. He walked into a camp where he saw high level pros standing up for their rights. He went on strike with players he has said are his heros.

Then he went to another camp with those guys, in that programme, a few months later. Why would he repeat if it had been a problem?

He was paid to be at both camps by the CSA.

Again, typical screwy American interpretation where if you stand together to defend what you believe in, and you are doing it with others you have openly said you admire, that must be a problem. 

You apparently know Spanish. Would you say he is cautious, neutral, excited or totally thrilled in this video?

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Your statement totally stumbles. He walked into a camp where he saw high level pros standing up for their rights. He went on strike with players he has said are his heros.

Then he went to another camp with those guys, in that programme, a few months later. Why would he repeat if it had been a problem?

He was paid to be at both camps by the CSA.

Again, typical screwy American interpretation where if you stand together to defend what you believe in, and you are doing it with others you have openly said you admire, that must be a problem. 

You apparently know Spanish. Would you say he is cautious, neutral, excited or totally thrilled in this video?

Just because I'm Mexican doesn't mean I know Spanish.

He mostly talk about his club and was happy about his club debut. 

He also said he was happy for his Canada called up. Also said he really never thinks about which team he wanted to play for but when it's in the summer he starts to think about it.

I would not look into this too much because everyone will say nice things about each team. 

28 minutes ago, Sechat23 said:

To echo what @Unnamed Trialist said, it's possible to view this as a good thing. He went to a camp where the players were unhappy, but he was also around to see them work through it, then he even showed up to the next camp and shared a training field and dressing room with them. Clearly it never scared him away. Possibly it showed him what a tight group these Canadians are. By all accounts, he enjoyed himself at both camps. He may wait now to try the USA youth teams, or maybe even the US senior team, but the next time he shows up to a Canada camp, if he ever does, I fully expect he's going to be doing so with the intention of officially being a Canadian player. He's seen what we are about - ball is in his court now. 

Just now, Obinna said:

To echo what @Unnamed Trialist said, it's possible to view this as a good thing. He went to a camp where the players were unhappy, but he was also around to see them work through it, then he even showed up to the next camp and shared a training field and dressing room with them. Clearly it never scared him away. Possibly it showed him what a tight group these Canadians are. By all accounts, he enjoyed himself at both camps. He may wait now to try the USA youth teams, or maybe even the US senior team, but the next time he shows up to a Canada camp, if he ever does, I fully expect he's going to be doing so with the intention of officially being a Canadian player. He's seen what we are about - ball is in his court now. 

Let's just hope for the best for him.

49 minutes ago, Sechat23 said:

Do the B team play today?

They are away to Olot tomorrow at 4.30, they need a win to get back on track for promotion.

I saw Olot in November in the Spanish Cup at home to Levante, where Roberto Soldado is now. Olot is a weak team, Espanyol is heavily favoured.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They are away to Olot tomorrow at 4.30, they need a win to get back on track for promotion.

I saw Olot in November in the Spanish Cup at home to Levante, where Roberto Soldado is now. Olot is a weak team, Espanyol is heavily favoured.

He most likely plays tomorrow then.

On 1/20/2023 at 3:59 PM, Sechat23 said:

I wouldn't go that far. Remember, it will be an expanded 48 team World Cup so Italy might be able to qualify this time around.

46 minutes ago, VinceA said:

We're fawning over this guy why exactly? Much more likely he just ends up in Segunda or something. Which is fine but not dying over.

This could be said for all of the targets of this ilk (Flores, Mitrovic, Yankov, Sali etc.) except in those cases the discussion eventually veers towards CSA incompetence and lack of friendlies/U20 opportunities (*cough* *cough*).

The only difference with this guy is that he's actually shown an interest in playing for Canada.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Not too shocking. But he is not part of the group for Espanyol's senior squad game today.

He didn't play last week for the B; possibly he rehurt his injury after playing the Cup match and they rested him. Worried that he seems to not be healing that ankle properly. 

If I see he's called up I might be able to go see him on Sunday.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

He has actually appeared in La Liga matches and was at 2 senior camps.

Why wouldn't we follow him?

Yeah I posted something to this effect earlier as well.  A kid playing in La Liga at 17?  Let’s not kid ourselves that we are so talented we shouldn’t seriously try to recruit this kid.  I don’t care what the circumstances were leading to his appearances - there are only a small group of elite Canadian players who have ever played at that level.   And he did it at 17.  If there were no questions about his international intentions we would be deifying this kid.