Tickets for Edmonton World Cup Qualifying Series.

Admin

On 11/4/2021 at 1:30 AM, lamptern said:

A rough count from my eye sight on the ticketmaster site map: ~8000 tickets to be sold.

This is great to see, the first section of the end zone went light blue, a mere 36 tickets available in section JJ. I am sure once Phonzie is on the ground in his home town to see, tickets will start flying as people decide this is something they do not want to miss. 

No description available.

17 minutes ago, theaub said:

They really killed their own momentum with the fake sellout.

Not sure about that. There was still over 2 weeks to go. If someone really wanted the tickets when they were sold out for 2 days, they wouldve snapped them up right after they were re released. 

Still all of game week to sell for costa rica, and strong chance Mexico will sell out. 

Edited by king1010

14 minutes ago, theaub said:

They never claimed it was sold out, they got inundated with group sales requests and held back the one end zone and upper deck to allocated them to it. Once they did that they opened up the rest of what was available. The Mexico game is certainly ahead of the Costa Rica match in terms of sales, that should not be surprising to anyone. The Mexicans will travel in much bigger numbers compared to the support Costa Rica will get. 

2 minutes ago, Cblake said:

They never claimed it was sold out, they got inundated with group sales requests and held back the one end zone and upper deck to allocated them to it. Once they did that they opened up the rest of what was available. The Mexico game is certainly ahead of the Costa Rica match in terms of sales, that should not be surprising to anyone. The Mexicans will travel in much bigger numbers compared to the support Costa Rica will get. 

Are we expecting much Mexican support? With COVId and the border crossing rules + this match being in Edmonton it seems unlikely that a ton of Mexicans will show up. I’m not seeing much, if any, travel plans on Mexican soccer forums either.

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Are we expecting much Mexican support? With COVId and the border crossing rules + this match being in Edmonton it seems unlikely that a ton of Mexicans will show up. I’m not seeing much, if any, travel plans on Mexican soccer forums either.

You have to remember there is a huge Mexican population in the US too. Covid protocols are nothing to worry about , it is so easy to get a covid test for travel these days. Support for Mexico travels in numbers. It is a big weekend for them as they are also at the US this window and the way the USSF does everything in their power to keep Mexican support out of the stadium. 

12 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Couple factors to consider for walk up crowds over the next week as well.  Clearly the games will get more exposure on tv and online with the team in camp.  The coverage will ramp up which will garner the attention of the casual fan.  Also, I’m sure there will be people who are thinking of getting tickets, who are waiting to see what the weather is like close to game time  

3 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Couple factors to consider for walk up crowds over the next week as well.  Clearly the games will get more exposure on tv and online with the team in camp.  The coverage will ramp up which will garner the attention of the casual fan.  Also, I’m sure there will be people who are thinking of getting tickets, who are waiting to see what the weather is like close to game time  

A lot of tickets were added back to Ticketmaster in the last few days for the Costa Rica game in both the other end zone and upper deck. I assume these were being held back for groups and were finally released. Once you are within three days of each game you should be able to get a pretty good sense of the weather system too. The big thing that will give sales a push will be having the team on the ground in the daily media cycle, especially with the hometown son coming home, Phonzie will be the games biggest selling point. 

18 minutes ago, Cblake said:

You have to remember there is a huge Mexican population in the US too. Covid protocols are nothing to worry about , it is so easy to get a covid test for travel these days. Support for Mexico travels in numbers. It is a big weekend for them as they are also at the US this window and the way the USSF does everything in their power to keep Mexican support out of the stadium. 

A mid week game in another country in the freezing cold.  Colour me skeptical that there will be a lot of Mexican fans.  The local Mexican fans in Edmonton and within driving distance will come out.   I'm not saying there will be zero fans fly in, but it's not going to be a significant number.

Has to be said these events became a resounding success long ago.  At worst, at worst there are going to be 80,000 -90,000 tickets sold for these two matches.  Amazing.

The CMNT is putting 40,000+ bums into seats, twice in 4 days, in November, in Edmonton. 

I can't stop shaking my head (and no it's not detox tremors!)  What's going to happen if they win these matches?

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Has to be said these events became a resounding success long ago.  At worst, at worst there are going to be 80,000 -90,000 tickets sold for these two matches.  Amazing.

The CMNT is putting 40,000+ bums into seats, twice in 4 days, in November, in Edmonton. 

I can't stop shaking my head (and no it's not detox tremors!)  What's going to happen if they win these matches?

Fans storm the field 

1 minute ago, frmr said:

A pitch invasion after a win against Mexico would be amazing but I wonder what the repercussions would be from Fifa. The optics would be amazing though, with the rest of the world wondering “what the hell has happened with Canada?”

I am pretty sure that would not go over well even if it would be amazing to see. I certainly remember the one TFC had back in their first season. 

7 hours ago, theaub said:

The "they" were basically over enthused but naive fans on social media and some local media cheerleaders. It was never proclaimed by CSA and easily verified that it wasn't a sell out based on sections released on ticketmaster.

So, the lack of the usual throng of Mexican supporters attending is the reason why the Mexico match hasn't sold out by now.

Peak pre match awareness will hit Edmonton next week. So, for the remaining locals who get interested, not wanting/or able to sit through cold weather, poor seat choices left and covid hesitancy are bigger reasons why they won't attend. Otherwise, the demand has been satiated. 

9 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Assuming the January game is in Vancouver, they should get tickets on sale by next week so that momentum can drive a packed BC Place.  That game might actually be a bigger problem than all the others for away support.  US fans in the Pacific Northwest are shut out of US home matches because of the lack of grass so they will travel in numbers to Vancouver.  The game is also on a Sunday.  

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

31 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Assuming the January game is in Vancouver, they should get tickets on sale by next week so that momentum can drive a packed BC Place.  That game might actually be a bigger problem than all the others for away support.  US fans in the Pacific Northwest are shut out of US home matches because of the lack of grass so they will travel in numbers to Vancouver.  The game is also on a Sunday.  

Canada Soccer has been run off its feet with each window and also with the women’s Celebration Tour.  The game is in late January and if they can get the tickets to market by mid December, that will be really good.  Remember, there’s also Ticketmaster (or whoever will control ticketing at the home venue) that needs to be dealt with as well. 
I’m not being an apologist, just telling you what has happened in the past couple of windows on getting the Voyageurs tickets organized.

34 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

They really should have tickets on sale  for January vs the US by the time of the Mexico game, announcing it as people are in the stadium. Take advantage of the momentum. Seattle by the way is fine for a WCQ even with turf, they had one leading up to 2014. 

13 hours ago, Cblake said:

They did claim that once they dealt with the group sales requests they had been inundated with, they would release the extra tickets and it would likely sell out shortly after. When they said this, I was inclined to agree so can't fault them for thinking that but they were wrong. 

Also those group sales requests didn't seem to sell a single seat in the end zone when sales of that section opened several days later (I was on Ticketmaster the moment they were finally released and saw they were all available). Considering how many sections they held back and how many of these sections were eventually released absolutely untouched, it is clearly evident they overestimated how much group sales interest they had. 

Overall, I think Canada Soccer planned this window very, very well with their incredibly accessible price points, attractive 2 game match deal, etc. and the unprecedented sales already show that. But the pace of ticket sales before tickets became unavailable and the pace once the held back tickets were finally released several days later speaks for itself.

They absolutely made mistakes there and we'd have sold even more by now if they didn't allow the game to appear "sold out" to anyone not following the news very closely. It was "sold out" not for one or two days, but almost a week. I think it's fair to criticize that.  

Edited by Diego

7 minutes ago, Diego said:

They did claim that once they dealt with the group sales requests they had been inundated with, they would release the extra tickets and it would likely sell out shortly after. When they said this, I was inclined to agree so can't fault them for thinking that but they were wrong. 

Also those group sales requests didn't seem to sell a single seat in the end zone when sales of that section opened several days later (I was on Ticketmaster the moment they were finally released and saw they were all available). Considering how many sections they held back and how many of these sections were eventually released absolutely untouched, it is clearly evident they overestimated how much group sales interest they had. 

Overall, I think Canada Soccer planned this window very, very well with their incredibly accessible price points, attractive 2 game match deal, etc. and the unprecedented sales already show that. But the pace of ticket sales before tickets became unavailable and the pace once the held back tickets were finally released several days later speaks for itself.

They absolutely made mistakes there and we'd have sold even more by now if they didn't allow the game to appear "sold out" to anyone not following the news very closely. It was "sold out" not for one or two days, but almost a week. I think it's fair to criticize that.  

The Mexico game is way ahead of the Costa Rica in terms of sales. A whole bunch tickets for the CR game this week were also made available, so yes they held tickets for longer than they should have. The end zone was always the least attractive part of the stadium in my eyes. They are at least 25-30 yards away from the back line. 

9 hours ago, Diego said:

Tickets sold out late in the night on sunday october 24th and then the endzones and upper side were released wednesday october 27th. 

there were only two full days where tickets were unavailable, the monday and tuesday. 

Edited by king1010

• Admin unpinned this topic