Tickets for Edmonton World Cup Qualifying Series.

Admin

1 hour ago, weathermanfran said:

"Team Canada soccer craze sweeping Edmonton"

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2307112

This report says "on track to be at full capacity". They also call the CSA "Soccer Canada"... 🤷‍♂️.. oh well, any publicity is good.

I missed that mention, but to be fair, we call it the "CSA" but it's name was changed to "Canada Soccer" years ago. So we are usually just as wrong.

I just counted 82 tickets available in the upper deck for the Mexico game. They've gotta open up the other side. If someone wants to buy 4 tickets and be at midfield, why make them wait for a few seats to fill up in the corners on the other side of the stadium. Whether those 82 tickets end up being sold or not won't even show up on cameras. They are insignificant, so open up the other side and lets move some more tickets!

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

I just counted 82 tickets available in the upper deck for the Mexico game. They've gotta open up the other side. If someone wants to buy 4 tickets and be at midfield, why make them wait for a few seats to fill up in the corners on the other side of the stadium. Whether those 82 tickets end up being sold or not won't even show up on cameras. They are insignificant, so open up the other side and lets move some more tickets!

I think it’s likely they are sorting group buys. I can see some pretty significant purchases by youth soccer clubs, especially the Edmonton Strikers , Phonzie’s youth team. I would think everything will be opened up by the start of the week. 

18 minutes ago, Cblake said:

As such it is the sorting out of the group sales that are happening before the rest of the stadium are put up for sale for both games, the other side of the upper deck and the end zone. Once this happens expect a quick sellout for both, it is going to be quite epic. 

Someone made this point earlier, but the fact ticket sales are very strong for both games suggests to me that the visiting crowds won’t be as big.  Maybe if we saw a big difference between the 2 games it would be worrisome.  The group package for both games at fantastic pricing was a brilliant strategy by the CSA.  I suspect having to be double vaccinated to get into the country and get a pcr test done too didn’t help out of country folk trying to buy tickets 

2 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Someone made this point earlier, but the fact ticket sales are very strong for both games suggests to me that the visiting crowds won’t be as big.  Maybe if we saw a big difference between the 2 games it would be worrisome.  The group package for both games at fantastic pricing was a brilliant strategy by the CSA.  I suspect having to be double vaccinated to get into the country and get a pcr test done too didn’t help out of country folk trying to buy tickets 

I am pretty at least Mexicans especially those living in the US have been buying tickets in pretty good numbers. They travel in droves. Getting a PCR test in the US is pretty easy these days and in many cases free. Anyone could have bought tickets. On the other hand Cosa Rica is not a country that sees support travel in droves like say a El Salvador or Honduras. The Mexicans will have a fair share of support in Edmonton. 

20 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Big question: How do I wear red when my winter coat is blue? :D

Maybe a cheap red rain poncho from a dollar store? 
A few years back in Toronto during the CNE there was an early round WCQ match (maybe against St. Lucia?), and I bought a cheap plastic red windbreaker for few dollars at a flea market inside the trade centre, then got a free sticker that was being given out from a table just outside the stadium.

red_windbreaker.JPG.a039885d42f54de61cd6f776185acc76.JPG

Idk if anyone can lend a hand with this, but given the fact that the supporters in Ottawa were asked to sit down because they were blocking the view of children, is there a way to ensure we can make this not be an issue with Soccer Canada and game day security when these games happen in November?

Nobody wants a bad time.. Nobody wants a repeat of 2015 when they asked us to sit down and we said no and they moved everyone..  Stadium security, staff and Soccer Canada should realize/know we will be standing, singing and drinking the entire game. 

5 hours ago, ShaneC06 said:

Idk if anyone can lend a hand with this, but given the fact that the supporters in Ottawa were asked to sit down because they were blocking the view of children, is there a way to ensure we can make this not be an issue with Soccer Canada and game day security when these games happen in November?

Nobody wants a bad time.. Nobody wants a repeat of 2015 when they asked us to sit down and we said no and they moved everyone..  Stadium security, staff and Soccer Canada should realize/know we will be standing, singing and drinking the entire game. 

This will absolutely not happen in Edmonton.  The Voyageurs sections at the stadium will be populated by passionate (and loud) supporters from Edmonton and travelling from all over the country.  There will be no general sales in N or O.  Canada Soccer is expecting us to be loud.

The difference between Edmonton next month and Ottawa yesterday will be sheer numbers of Voyageurs attending.

22 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

This will absolutely not happen in Edmonton.  The Voyageurs sections at the stadium will be populated by passionate (and loud) supporters from Edmonton and travelling from all over the country.  There will be no general sales in N or O.  Canada Soccer is expecting us to be loud.

The difference between Edmonton next month and Ottawa yesterday will be sheer numbers of Voyageurs attending.

Did tickets in the Vs section in Ottawa yesterday get released to general sale, was that the issue that caused this? I thought it was Jamie’s etc decision if something like this were to happen? Just curious. 

13 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Did tickets in the Vs section in Ottawa yesterday get released to general sale, was that the issue that caused this? I thought it was Jamie’s etc decision if something like this were to happen? Just curious. 

In short, yes.  But there were not  enough Voyageurs to fill in a section so tickets were released for general sale.  We will debrief with Canada Soccer.

13 minutes ago, Cblake said:

At this point it’s not if, only when. This is going to quite a window for Canada and the city of Edmonton. Great to see!

I love Terry's enthusiasm, and he's always been this way about soccer events in Edmonton, but I wish his editors would pay more attention to stuff like this.

"Fewer than four hours after general-public tickets went on sale, Edmonton had exceeded the 26,622 that set a BMO Stadium record in Toronto for soccer for the most recent World Cup game against Panama."

I realize I'm being nitpicky, but there are two easily-fixed errors/inaccuracies in that one sentence alone.

Anyway, it's a small issue. Glad to see the local press throw their weight behind the games.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

I love Terry's enthusiasm, and he's always been this way about soccer events in Edmonton, but I wish his editors would pay more attention to stuff like this.

"Fewer than four hours after general-public tickets went on sale, Edmonton had exceeded the 26,622 that set a BMO Stadium record in Toronto for soccer for the most recent World Cup game against Panama."

I realize I'm being nitpicky, but there are two easily-fixed errors/inaccuracies in that one sentence alone.

Anyway, it's a small issue. Glad to see the local press throw their weight behind the games.

It certainly was nowhere near the record crowd for a soccer game at BMO. The 2016 MLS Cup has that title.

9 minutes ago, Cblake said:

It certainly was nowhere near the record crowd for a soccer game at BMO. The 2016 MLS Cup has that title.

Right. TFC averaged more than the 26,622 attendance of the Panama game during their MLS Cup-winning season (and also in 2018).

Anyway, as I said the enthusiasm is great and should be lauded. Jones has always been on board for Canada's national teams. I'm hoping Edmonton breaks the attendance record during the Costa Rica game and then does it again against Mexico.

23 minutes ago, RS said:

Right. TFC averaged more than the 26,622 attendance of the Panama game during their MLS Cup-winning season (and also in 2018).

Anyway, as I said the enthusiasm is great and should be lauded. Jones has always been on board for Canada's national teams. I'm hoping Edmonton breaks the attendance record during the Costa Rica game and then does it again against Mexico.

I wonder if he meant record number of fans for a men's world cup qualifying game or for a qualifying game this go around.  Regardless, there's going to be north of 50K fans....It might be close to 60K fans.  It's going to be a ridiculous atmosphere.

Just now, prairiecanuck said:

I wonder if he meant record number of fans for a men's world cup qualifying game or for a qualifying game this go around.  Regardless, there's going to be north of 50K fans....It might be close to 60K fans.  It's going to be a ridiculous atmosphere.

The 26,622 at the Panama game was a BMO Field record for a Canada MNT game. The women's team drew more for a friendly vs. Brazil in 2016.

It may have been a Toronto record for a World Cup qualifying game, but the national record for any Canada game (of any sport) is held by BC Place (54k) for Canada vs. Mexico in 2016. As long as the CSA doesn't bungle this ticketing process, I'd say a new record is certainly happening in Edmonton next month.

13 minutes ago, RS said:

The 26,622 at the Panama game was a BMO Field record for a Canada MNT game. The women's team drew more for a friendly vs. Brazil in 2016.

It may have been a Toronto record for a World Cup qualifying game, but the national record for any Canada game (of any sport) is held by BC Place (54k) for Canada vs. Mexico in 2016. As long as the CSA doesn't bungle this ticketing process, I'd say a new record is certainly happening in Edmonton next month.

Wow, i was there with my son. We were part of the record. 

22 minutes ago, RS said:

The women’s QF in 2015 at BC Place also had over 54K. 

• Admin unpinned this topic