Attending November Window in Edmonton

Club Linesman

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Any Edmonton V’s know whether or not you can take a gym bag or backpack into Clarke? I am planning on going to the Forge game before heading to the airport but will have my stuff with me.  If no bags are allowed does the facility hold a bag until the game is over?!

I’m supposed to be in touch with the Commonwealth/Clarke security people. So I will ask when I get a chance. 

But I suspect it’ll be a ‘no’.

8 hours ago, shermanator said:

An uptick to what, 1000? FC Edmonton games are an absolutely terrible experience. Unless you're a Forge supporter looking to sneak in an away day you likely wouldn't do on its own, I dont see much reason to catch this match.

What?  A few hung over hoarse throated Vs couldn't make their own party at Clarke?  Bet you a $5 beer they can. 

I'm sure this has been debated five ways from Friday (is that even a thing?) but is it truly an advantage for us to play Costa Rica in Edmontonchuk in November. Yup, it'll be frostier than a nun's teat--thanks to my uber devout Catholic father for that winning phrase--but do we even need such a (perceived) advantage over Costa Rica. Wouldn't BMO in November be plenty enough cold? And are we not a step up on the Ticos now?  Mexico, yes, let's play them in Whitehorse for all I care. Let's make it a war, not a football match. I've played at a similar latitude in November, and I can feel my joints turning brittle at the mere memory of it all. Do our guys even remember how to play in those temperatures? Why do I fear massive injuries on our part? 

Having said that, I am dusting off my long underwear and checking flights and praying to Herdman that Alberta gets its shit together regarding the pandemic. I mean, one good thing about playing in Edmonton: The stadium will probably be packed with loud-ass Canadian fans. (And more Mexicans than you'd imagine). Sure, it'll end up being a super spreader event, but all in the name of commerce and national pride, right? That makes it right, right?

46 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I'm sure this has been debated five ways from Friday (is that even a thing?) but is it truly an advantage for us to play Costa Rica in Edmontonchuk in November. Yup, it'll be frostier than a nun's teat--thanks to my uber devout Catholic father for that winning phrase--but do we even need such a (perceived) advantage over Costa Rica. Wouldn't BMO in November be plenty enough cold? And are we not a step up on the Ticos now?  Mexico, yes, let's play them in Whitehorse for all I care. Let's make it a war, not a football match. I've played at a similar latitude in November, and I can feel my joints turning brittle at the mere memory of it all. Do our guys even remember how to play in those temperatures? Why do I fear massive injuries on our part? 

Having said that, I am dusting off my long underwear and checking flights and praying to Herdman that Alberta gets its shit together regarding the pandemic. I mean, one good thing about playing in Edmonton: The stadium will probably be packed with loud-ass Canadian fans. (And more Mexicans than you'd imagine). Sure, it'll end up being a super spreader event, but all in the name of commerce and national pride, right? That makes it right, right?

I had the same thoughts regarding Edmonton versus Toronto. It would still be cold at BMO and the playing surface may be to our advantage against the Ticos, so it's definitely fair to question whether it's the right call.

However, the schedule is such where we'd be wise not to travel if we don't have to. Do you want to play Mexico in Toronto or even Vancouver? Not if you want a pro-Canadian crowd. Even in Edmonton there'll likely be a significant minority of El Tri fans, but it'll be a hell of a lot better. Throw in the Davies homecoming factor and it'll hopefully be a gamble worth taking. If not at least it'll be test-run for WC 2026.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I had the same thoughts regarding Edmonton versus Toronto. It would still be cold at BMO and the playing surface may be to our advantage against the Ticos, so it's definitely fair to question whether it's the right call.

However, the schedule is such where we'd be wise not to travel if we don't have to. Do you want to play Mexico in Toronto or even Vancouver? Not if you want a pro-Canadian crowd. Even in Edmonton there'll likely be a significant minority of El Tri fans, but it'll be a hell of a lot better. Throw in the Davies homecoming factor and it'll hopefully be a gamble worth taking. If not at least it'll be test-run for WC 2026.

Yeah, Mexican soccer fans are a bit like Canadian hockey fans: they show up in the oddest places, and in decent numbers. Playing Mexico in Vancouver would certainly draw a sea of green, but we'd also see a massive Canadian contingent. I suspect we'd pack 50K into BC Place.  The Mexican fans will travel to Edmonton, for sure, but I would expect a smaller contingent than if we played in Vancouver and Toronto, for sure.  I am seriously considering flying to Edmonton for these games. 

I'm seriously considering driving up from Vancouver for the Costa Rica game, if I can get Friday the 12th off work.  It's only an 11.5 hour drive and I don't need a $275 negative Covid test to get into my car.  The Holiday Inn downtown can be had for $170 for two nights, and it's close to transit out to the stadium and there's a bar right across the street.  Would there be anything planned for the night of the 11th?

Edited by umpiredice

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

No so sure about Vancouver. Last WCQ BC Place felt pretty pro-Canada to me. Yes there was a significant Mexican presences... but I seem to recall the overwhelming majority as well as the crowd noise were pro-Canada.

Vancouver lacks any kind of weather advantage though, if you believe there actually is one.

Re: Edmonton, I think it being Phonzie's home town is a huge factor. I think JH is hoping that alone imparts some extra-motivation for the boys.

1 hour ago, umpiredice said:

I'm seriously considering driving up from Vancouver for the Costa Rica game, if I can get Friday the 12th off work.  It's only an 11.5 hour drive and I don't need a $275 negative Covid test to get into my car.  The Holiday Inn downtown can be had for $170 for two nights, and it's close to transit out to the stadium and there's a bar right across the street.  Would there be anything planned for the night of the 11th?

I am pretty sure enough Vs will be in town by the night of the 11th, that something can easily  be put together. 

Yeah I think it's pretty obvious that the Edmonton decision has as much to do with Phonzie's homecoming as it does weather, travel and an overwhelmingly pro-Canada crowd. The only downside is obviously the turf, but both teams play on on the same surface, so I don't see that as a huge factor. By the time the Mexico game comes around, our players should be pretty accustomed to the bounce of the ball, etc.

3 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

@Bene11 and I booked our trip for the Mexico game. No accommodations yet. Any recommendations? Kind of hoping to just book the same place that the national team will be staying at. 

Fantasyland Hotel!!!!!

- my inner ten year old