WCQ Ratings

Macksam

8 hours ago, red card said:

On US TV, Canada v Mexico got 3 million across 3 Spanish language networks. Univision got 1.9 million. Match would have been a good pickup for Univision Canada to carry assuming Spanish language rights would be cheaper.

This was higher than the Jamaica v USA audience of 1.9 million across 3 networks. More people watched on 2 Spanish language networks as ESPN2 only got 596k. 

Vs other sports, Canada v Mexico was only behind a NFL game. Vs all programs, it was just outside the top 10. 

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-thursday-10-7-2021-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

What that tells me is we should have more Mexican immigration to this country so that the networks will have better ratings. Better ratings means more exposure. More exposure means better ratings. Better ratings means more money in CSA's coffers.

Now for the 100 million dollar question. Does more money in CSA's coffers mean better national teams?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/10/2021 at 7:46 AM, Sal333 said:

What that tells me is we should have more Mexican immigration to this country so that the networks will have better ratings. Better ratings means more exposure. More exposure means better ratings. Better ratings means more money in CSA's coffers.

Now for the 100 million dollar question. Does more money in CSA's coffers mean better national teams?

It would also mean Canada would have 2-3 Spanish language tv networks carrying all the major football matches including UCL & South American qualifiers.

On Mexican TV, 11.7 million watched the Canada match across 2 networks. It was the second highest as Costa Rica match got 12.3 million. 

https://www.infobae.com/america/deportes/2021/10/08/televisa-o-tv-azteca-que-televisora-se-llevo-el-rating-del-mexico-vs-canada/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Canada vs Jamaica on Sportsnet saw an audience of 186k. A bit higher than vs Mexico but basically the same as El Salvador match. 

By trawling through the interweb archives, here are some of the 2018 WCQ cycle ratings. Basically, 2021 ratings so far are in the similar range to higher. Caveats are that it is the final round now and the number of households de-subscribing from a tv package or never had a tv sub has increased materially.

November 2015 vs Honduras: 204k

March 2016 vs Mexico: 142k

September 2016 vs Honduras: 115k

Edited by red card

5 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Leafs/Habs (SN) 1.387M
Oilers/Canucks (SM) 1.045M
Canada/Panama (SN1) 338K

That 338K is almost decent. I'm hoping a few more plays where Fonzie shows he's a super hero from another planet and we can bring those numbers to at least 7-800 K.

I just have to shake my head. Two rather meaningless season openers get triple & quadruple the viewership of a life or death qualification round.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

That 338K is almost decent. I'm hoping a few more plays where Fonzie shows he's a super hero from another planet and we can bring those numbers to at least 7-800 K.

I just have to shake my head. Two rather meaningless season openers get triple & quadruple the viewership of a life or death qualification round.

It is the country we live in, no point in pulling your hair out over it, it is what is it. Leafs Habs regardless of how good or bad they are will always draw. This should always be about the growth of the beautiful game in this country and not worry about what the others are doing. 

Forgive me if someone already posted something like this , but yes TV ratings are still a good barometer of how what kind of awareness this team is getting . Moreover , the TV numbers for that Canada game against Panama are decent but compared to the hockey numbers there is no comparison as we have seen by what hockey got , and they got so much more it wasn’t even close . However, as has been mentioned the station that the Canadian World Cup qualifying game was on played apart in the much smaller numbers compared to hockey .  The very good news is that’s it’s 2021 not 1980 and there are other ways to measure the relevance of this national team . Canada soccer had more mentions on Twitter than any of the hockey games on Wednesday night . The Davies goal had millions of views more than anything from any of the hockey games that night . Therefore, yes TV ratings are very important and probably still king , but let’s not forget it’s 2021 and there are also other ways to measure how popular this last round of qualifying is in Canada .

Edited by SoccMan

On 10/14/2021 at 3:04 PM, Sal333 said:

We live in a Hockey crazed Country ,  On Wednesday I took the Go Train to BMO and to be honest on the train at around 5:00pm it seemed to be a 2 to 1 ratio of Leaf  fans compared to  CMNT fans . 

7 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Forgive me if someone already posted something like this , but yes TV ratings are still a good barometer of how what kind of awareness this team is getting . Moreover , the TV numbers for that Canada game against Panama are decent but compared to the hockey numbers there is no comparison as we have seen by what hockey got , and they got so much more it wasn’t even close . However, as has been mentioned the station that the Canadian World Cup qualifying game was on played apart in the much smaller numbers compared to hockey .  The very good news is that’s it’s 2021 not 1980 and there are other ways to measure the relevance of this national team . Canada soccer had more mentions on Twitter than any of the hockey games on Wednesday night . The Davies goal had millions of views more than anything from any of the hockey games that night . Therefore, yes TV ratings are very important and probably still king , but let’s not forget it’s 2021 and there are also other ways to measure how popular this last round of qualifying is in Canada .

Gaming is the most popular entertainment activity amongst the u30 crowd. Not watching tv, either linear or streaming. Netflix has said their biggest competition is gaming and sleeping. So, what is being shown below is much more significant.

Edited by red card

6 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

We live in a Hockey crazed Country ,  On Wednesday I took the Go Train to BMO and to be honest on the train at around 5:00pm it seemed to be a 2 to 1 ratio of Leaf  fans compared to  CMNT fans . 

It’s funny you say that because I took the go train to BMO and I was just after 5 and the carriage was 90% Canada soccer fans. I felt surrounded by Canadian soccer fans and it made me very happy. 

3 hours ago, maccaliam said:

It’s funny you say that because I took the go train to BMO and I was just after 5 and the carriage was 90% Canada soccer fans. I felt surrounded by Canadian soccer fans and it made me very happy. 

I guess it depended on what carriage you were on I was on the Lakeshore West line  I started from Burlington Go  

• 4 weeks later...

OMG. If we get 500,000 A25-54 on Sunday Jan 30 (assuming a prime-time start) that's got to be worth $5-10MM in increased sponsorship in 2022-23 should we qualify. 340 is a massive number on a Friday night, although before I get too excited the MNT started just 35 minutes before the end of the Leafs game - it wasn't 340,000 head-to-head.

FWIW: Habs host Columbus @ 19:00 ET is the only Canadian hockey game Jan 30. Alas, the game may go head-to-head w/ the NFC Championship game - 18:40 ET. Or the AFC game @ 15:00.  First weekend of Scotties (Curling), not finals weekend. If you were CSA, would you gamble on a 22:00 start (7 PM PT) or would you go head-to-head against a big event? To placate the dreamers in another thread...could do 13:00 ET if the game were played out east.

If that 25-54 viewership holds, if USA viewership goes ballistic, OneSoccer can forget about winning the rights to CMNT WCQ for a long time.... I hope they hit the jackpot with their SN re-broadcast contract - doubt it, but I hope they did.

500,000 25-54 heads-up against the NFC Champ. 🤤 🤤 🤤

2 hours ago, RS said:

He tweeted more context on the rating. The Flames/Leafs game beat out Canada/Costa Rica for total viewers (it was broadcast on TSN4 in Ontario and Sportsnet West in Alberta), but the soccer game won out in the key 25-54 demographic.

Further context would include the RDS numbers for the soccer broadcast and might tip the scales in the other direction, but that's immaterial. A huge number. Tomorrow will undoubtedly be bigger.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Further context would include the RDS numbers for the soccer broadcast and might tip the scales in the other direction, but that's immaterial. A huge number. Tomorrow will undoubtedly be bigger.

A good number let’s keep it going .

On 10/14/2021 at 6:04 PM, Sal333 said:

Or I guess the very next game can just meet your target! I guess the Fonzie play against Panama helped, and no doubt being on the main Sportsnet channel instead of SN1 helped too.