WCQ Ratings

Macksam

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/27/2022 at 1:35 AM, gigi riva said:

just out of coursity What is the biggest tv audience for a mens Soccer game involving either a Canadian MLs team or Cnmt 

1.5 million in English & French watched the 2016 MLS Final involving TFC.

In the same year, the second leg of TFC/Impact got 1.4 million in both languages. 519k watched the second leg in French. So, Canada men WCQ French tv numbers haven't reached the same levels yet.

Previous to this WCQ, likely only the CanadavFrance 86 World Cup match went over 1 million for the men. The women have had about 10 matches with over 1 million with London semis vs the US being the highest at nearly 4 million. Tokyo Gold Medal match peaked at over 4 million but average was 2.3 million.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Soccer way more popular in Canada compared to US per capita

It's a bit more complicated than that, but it's safe to say that CanMNT is more popular per capita in Canada than the USMNT is in the U.S.

Soccer viewing as a whole is even more fractured in the States than it is up here, especially when taking Spanish-language broadcasts (and the popularity of Mexico and Liga MX) into account. Also, FS1 is the third-largest English-language sports network in the U.S., behind ESPN and ESPN2.

42 minutes ago, RS said:

It's a bit more complicated than that, but it's safe to say that CanMNT is more popular per capita in Canada than the USMNT is in the U.S.

Soccer viewing as a whole is even more fractured in the States than it is up here, especially when taking Spanish-language broadcasts (and the popularity of Mexico and Liga MX) into account. Also, FS1 is the third-largest English-language sports network in the U.S., behind ESPN and ESPN2.

Sure. But even so this is a smaller per-capita number than our early-Ocho matches vs ES, Mex, and Jam, that were on Sportsnet 1 and 360, secondary channels many people don't have as part of their cable packages.

7 hours ago, rkomar said:

Maybe if this was the USA's first world cup in 36 years, they would be more fired up about it like we are.  For them, it's more newsworthy when they don't make it.

I hope in 10 years we aren't that jaded and cynical 

2 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

I think the demographic differences between the countries explain most of it. Their large Mexican population is more into El Tri and Liga MX, the last few generations of immigrants here don't have a team in the region but Canada was too mediocre draw their attention.

Yes. Soccer as a whole is extremely popular in the U.S., and shouldn't be solely judged on what the USMNT drew for a World Cup qualifier on a channel nobody watches.

3 hours ago, RS said:

Yes. Soccer as a whole is extremely popular in the U.S., and shouldn't be solely judged on what the USMNT drew for a World Cup qualifier on a channel nobody watches.

As I am a geek about these things, your suggestion made me curious because I thought I recently read somewhere that at least in terms of distribution, ESPN and FS1 were somewhat even. 

According to this article from 2020, ESPN beats FS1 by about 3 million households.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2020/01/30/Media/Cable-distribution.aspx

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Maybe Quebecers perfer Wheeler?

Quebec soccer twitter snickers quite a bit about PxP person Claudine Douville. Past her prime with 30 yrs+ working and not fully steeped in football. So, she is prone to lots of errors including the Dobson disease of misidentifying black players. 

• 7 months later...