WCQ Ratings

Macksam

23 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Second most watched sporting event of the year in Canada (after the Super Bowl which got around 40% more viewers).

amazing news - the last 18 months has brought in a ton of new fans to the program. Hope we don’t squander the momentum.

this news should lead to some more Canada soccer coverage on the major networks.

Edited by Floortom

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Floortom said:

Second most watched sporting event of the year in Canada (after the Super Bowl which got around 40% more viewers).

amazing news - the last 18 months has brought in a ton of new fans to the program. Hope we don’t squander the momentum.

this news should lead to some more Canada soccer coverage on the major networks.

Well, they haven't interviewed the top Canadian in FIFA, nor the head of the CSA as yet, nor the head of the 2026 hosting committee, and nor anyone from the CPL (Josh Simpson, Rob Friend, and Dean Shillington from the two West Coast franchises are all there, available to talk, I am sure), even though that is not their property.  Their property is MLS and the three Canadian teams there.

Once they have finished the final recap of the Morocco game and a review of all three games, the Canadian angle will be done, say for individual NT player news, like transfer rumours, or news related to the Canadian MLS teams.

Edited by BearcatSA

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Doubt it.  Sports “coverage” is basically advertising for the live sports that the channel shows.  Since the CSA gave to rights away to media pro there’s no incentive for the real sports channels to talk about the National teams after the World Cup.  

and before the usual parade of “ but the CSA had to pay TSN to show our games” excuses…I’m old enough to remember in the early 80s when  NBA finals games were shown on tape delay after the 11pm news.    Can you imagine if they waved the white flag like the CSA did?  Right before Bird and Magic and then Jordan came along?

12 hours ago, Meepmeep said:

Doubt it.  Sports “coverage” is basically advertising for the live sports that the channel shows.  Since the CSA gave to rights away to media pro there’s no incentive for the real sports channels to talk about the National teams after the World Cup.  

and before the usual parade of “ but the CSA had to pay TSN to show our games” excuses…I’m old enough to remember in the early 80s when  NBA finals games were shown on tape delay after the 11pm news.    Can you imagine if they waved the white flag like the CSA did?  Right before Bird and Magic and then Jordan came along?

The NBA wasn't that far off from possibly folding in the late 70s/early 80s.  You are comparing apples to oranges, but if there was an equivalent to the Media Pro offer throwing money at desperate NBA owners back then, why yes, they would have taken it,

Kind of like the NHL turning down ESPN for a sports network with a much smaller reach (forget the name) during the height of Gretzky's dominance.

1 hour ago, RS said:

If Canada gets in the Copa America I can see TSN grabbing those rights.

I actually wouldn’t be surprised to see Sportsnet or TSN take the Canadian games from the upcoming Gold Cup, too (with OneSoccer producing the broadcasts).

TSN had the last copa america on tv. So i think they already have it.

15 hours ago, Floortom said:

Fun fact about the Super Bowl: a massive % of people who have the tv on actually do not watch. They do other things, they watch parts, they take breaks. They rush back if there is a highlight. Some people who enter as "viewers" are more interested in the half-time show. Super Bowl tv stats are highly inflated. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Fun fact about the Super Bowl: a massive % of people who have the tv on actually do not watch. They do other things, they watch parts, they take breaks. They rush back if there is a highlight. Some people who enter as "viewers" are more interested in the half-time show. Super Bowl tv stats are highly inflated. 

I totally Agree I have been to many Super Bowl parties and most of the time people are talking amongst each other, barely watching the game . People would rather talk about the commercials , 

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Would you think that's the same with the Grey Cup?

8 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Grey Cup parties are less common, and the game itself is much less of a cultural event. The half time shows are certainly never a "must watch". I'd say a much higher proportion of viewers are football fans, if not necessarily of the teams involved.

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

CFL/NFL are conducive to that kind of watching, no doubt. 

We have that culture in North American, people get up at MLS games in the middle of play and wander around looking for who knows what, they can't sit still. People who are even season tickets holders, they are not engaged in the match. Hard to see that in places where there is a commitment to the sport in question. 

I got up after the 4th Croatia goal and went to the bathroom, and I am still here wondering what happened in those last few minutes.

2 hours ago, Metro said:

The NBA wasn't that far off from possibly folding in the late 70s/early 80s.

If you only had "peasant-vision" in rural Canadian areas (CBC, CTV, and the Knowledge Network here in BC), there was a time that you couldn't even see an NFL game in the early eighties.  They used to show NFL after the Grey Cup but in 1983 neither main network had the rights but CBC later acquired the rights for the Super Bowl that year.

Times change!  

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

CFL/NFL are conducive to that kind of watching, no doubt. 

We have that culture in North American, people get up at MLS games in the middle of play and wander around looking for who knows what, they can't sit still. People who are even season tickets holders, they are not engaged in the match. Hard to see that in places where there is a commitment to the sport in question. 

If you ever attend a BCHL or WHL game in a rink that has a concourse by the alcohol sales so you still see the play, those places are packed with people.  They have a social house, even night club feel to them.  Believe me, there is more "action" going on there than on the ice, if you know what I mean 😉!

13 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Grey Cup parties are less common, and the game itself is much less of a cultural event. The half time shows are certainly never a "must watch". I'd say a much higher proportion of viewers are football fans, if not necessarily of the teams involved.

I think it depends on where in Canada you are watching if your home town/regional  team isn't in it.

Games that make it into "event" status will naturally have more people watching that don't actually care, they just don't want to miss out or want an excuse to have a party. The Superbowl definitely meets that standard. I'm sure to some degree the Canada/Croatia game did as well. I was talking to someone from work today who told me they had never watched a soccer game before but they watched part of the game. They don't know all the rules but they know some.

It's not just the Superbowl that has disinterested viewers. Anything getting into the millions here in Canada is going to have people that don't really know much about what they are watching.