Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Apparently Ismael is on the brink of getting sacked. Probably had a lot to do with him making two very early subs today:

https://x.com/talksport/status/1761489740686065903?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

I read a couple game reports, and the fans were all nervous and even booing by m. 25 because the team was playing horizontal, making back passes, side to side, and not going forward in that proverbial "exciting" way fans of Championship adore. You have got to be a poor fanbase if that is the level, but fans can do want they want, I guess. Only a manager should frigging ignore them. Then they went up, and only fell apart late (maybe because they were afraid to control the game via horizontal and back passes).

I mean, fine, you are not doing well in the table, but you are tied mid first half and the fans are booing because they want you to throw yourself recklessly forward like the rest of mid-table headless chicken teams in Championship?

It is very poor of a manager to take players off before m. 30, it is very bad faith; he is basically saying he has no game plan, has no faith in his own decisions, chose a wrong starting 11--and pretty well knew it from the start. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I read a couple game reports, and the fans were all nervous and even booing by m. 25 because the team was playing horizontal, making back passes, side to side, and not going forward in that proverbial "exciting" way fans of Championship adore. You have got to be a poor fanbase if that is the level, but fans can do want they want, I guess. Only a manager should frigging ignore them. Then they went up, and only fell apart late (maybe because they were afraid to control the game via horizontal and back passes).

I mean, fine, you are not doing well in the table, but you are tied mid first half and the fans are booing because they want you to throw yourself recklessly forward like the rest of mid-table headless chicken teams in Championship?

It is very poor of a manager to take players off before m. 30, it is very bad faith; he is basically saying he has no game plan, has no faith in his own decisions, chose a wrong starting 11--and pretty well knew it from the start. 

Lets be fair: making that detailed a judgement and condemnation of a fanbase based reading "a couple game reports" is pretty silly. 

I don't agree with a lot of what Watford do and certainly not the manager panicking (seemingly).

But the reason the fans are upset and got restless is not primarly because of style of play (whatever preconceived notions we have).  It is because they are 21st in the form table and have almost completely taken themselves out playoff contention since the beginning of the year.  Since then they have only won against a non-league side in the cup, as well as relegation contenders QPR and Rotherham (the latter seemingly nailed-on to go down).

They have a talent level much above that level but show it only in fits and spurts and rarely let managers stay long enough to put any kind of stamp on the team. 

12 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Lets be fair: making that detailed a judgement and condemnation of a fanbase based reading "a couple game reports" is pretty silly. 

I don't agree with a lot of what Watford do and certainly not the manager panicking (seemingly).

But the reason the fans are upset and got restless is not primarly because of style of play (whatever preconceived notions we have).  It is because they are 21st in the form table and have almost completely taken themselves out playoff contention since the beginning of the year.  Since then they have only won against a non-league side in the cup, as well as relegation contenders QPR and Rotherham (the latter seemingly nailed-on to go down).

They have a talent level much above that level but show it only in fits and spurts and rarely let managers stay long enough to put any kind of stamp on the team. 

A couple of game reports from reliable sources, corroborated by everyone there, are not "silly". What is silly is to deny it.

It is also silly to argue that in a tie match at m. 25, the fans booing and jeering the team is because they are getting bad results. A draw m. 25 is not a bad result: it was because of the style of play.

As for fans and local press and even owners being delusional about what a team should or could be doing, welcome to the club. 2nd tiers in England, Germany and Spain are full of teams who feel they have no business not being in top flight, and get nervous about pretty well everything.

This is the first I read, which they softened from yesterday's version which described the crowd unrest and, as this does, "the chorus of boos", from silly BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68324101

"It was more than (disappointing) - I understand completely the frustration of our fans," Ismael told BBC Three Counties Radio.

"We tried to have an impact on the game (by making a double substitution after 26 minutes) but actually I could have changed all the players. It's difficult to explain because believe me it was not the game plan.

"We cannot explain why we struggle like that at home. I am accountable as a coach for the performance but the players are responsible for their own performance.

"Sometimes you cannot explain. You stand on the sideline and see exactly what you have to do. Nobody wanted to take responsibility with the ball. You don't want to make a mistake but you end up making one anyway and you build the momentum of the opponent.

"Today is just the mental side, it's not physical, it's not technical. We needed to step up and we didn't.

"I expected more, the fans expected more, I think the players themselves expected more. Today we accept all the criticism we get from the fans."

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A couple of game reports from reliable sources, corroborated by everyone there, are not "silly". What is silly is to deny it.

It is also silly to argue that in a tie match at m. 25, the fans booing and jeering the team is because they are getting bad results. A draw m. 25 is not a bad result: it was because of the style of play.

This is the first I read, which they softened from yesterday's version which described the crowd unrest and, as this does, "the chorus of boos", from silly BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68324101

"It was more than (disappointing) - I understand completely the frustration of our fans," Ismael told BBC Three Counties Radio.

"We tried to have an impact on the game (by making a double substitution after 26 minutes) but actually I could have changed all the players. It's difficult to explain because believe me it was not the game plan.

"We cannot explain why we struggle like that at home. I am accountable as a coach for the performance but the players are responsible for their own performance.

"Sometimes you cannot explain. You stand on the sideline and see exactly what you have to do. Nobody wanted to take responsibility with the ball. You don't want to make a mistake but you end up making one anyway and you build the momentum of the opponent.

"Today is just the mental side, it's not physical, it's not technical. We needed to step up and we didn't.

"I expected more, the fans expected more, I think the players themselves expected more. Today we accept all the criticism we get from the fans."

Yes that says the fans got upset because they were... 😄

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

playing horizontal, making back passes, side to side, and not going forward in that proverbial "exciting" way fans of Championship adore. You have got to be a poor fanbase if that is the level, but fans can do want they want, I guess. . 

Your biases are your biases.  Reading them into match reports (while not watching) and misrepresenting them on a forum, is - yes -  silly...at best. 

They were underperforming, the fans express their displeasure, and the manager panicked (my opinion) probably partially because how poor Watford are at handling their employees, on field and off. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, Joe1973 said:

The other guy that was pulled early with him last week started today. I think Kone was in bench cause he got pissed and walked down the tunnel after the sub.

I woud've too. The coach is admitting his own mistakes if he makes a double switch midway through the first half. 

• 2 weeks later...