WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

6 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I worked with a few people of Guyanese descent when I lived in London. They're definitely more Caribbean than South American culturally. They were as big on the Notting Hill Carnival as our colleagues of Jamaican and Bahamian descent.

Solid movie.  Roberts at her best.

9 minutes ago, Fullback said:

I still have my doubts that this is how we lineup. Johnston is not a CB

And Doneil Henry as the central CB to direct the defence.

Canada is going to get scored on a couple of times I think

That's alright. The offence will crush Suriname. I hope lol

Edited by Yohan

This is exactly how Herdman planned it and I can't disagree even one tiny bit. This is exactly how I would have selected it(although I would have given Kennedy a run out v Aruba). Look for great sub appearances by Cavalini & Buchannan. 

Who do you guys see as the other subs? Hoilett if not injured? Millar offers pace? Kaye for Osorio if he's gassed? Or Wotherspoon is quality enough? If any defenders injured Vitoria would come on, or even to kill the game... what do you guys think for subs?

2 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Humey!! The only who who showed up against Honduras 9 years ago... 

For all the hate OneSoccer gets, I absolutely love that they bring in guys like Humey, Edgar, etc. Honestly with Forrest, KJ, Sharmen, Dunfield, Humey, Edgar, hell even Wheeler and Larson, it's like a weird Canada soccer fever dream subscription service I would never have thought would happen. As a 26 year old, it is like every tv personality from my whole life of watching Canadian soccer is employed there, sans Dobson and De Vos. 

1 minute ago, Tyson M said:

This is exactly how Herdman planned it and I can't disagree even one tiny bit. This is exactly how I would have selected it(although I would have given Kennedy a run out v Aruba). Look for great sub appearances by Cavalini & Buchannan. 

Who do you guys see as the other subs? Hoilett if not injured? Millar offers pace? Kaye for Osorio if he's gassed? Or Wotherspoon is quality enough? If any defenders injured Vitoria would come on, or even to kill the game... what do you guys think for subs?

I gotta think the subs depends on how we're doing. If we are up early and by a lot then Davies and one of Larin/David gets subbed of to save them for Haiti

Big fan of Osorio and all, but really surprised he gets the start here.  How little has be played in the past 6 months?  Risky move with Kaye and Wotherspoon both available and in form.

I guess he counters the Henry/Kennedy "first match" risk with putting our big guns all up front.  Risky and kinda cocky move.  Gotta say i'd have been quite a bit more conservative. 

Pouring another drink....

34 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Bit random, but why is Suriname in CONCACAF instead of COMENBOL if it's actually in South America?

They are a lot closer to the Caribbean than Bermuda is.

But it's the same logic - put the minnows together, or else they'd be slaughtered regularly, as there's no other minnows in South America, but dozens in North America.

That none of them speak Spanish (or Portugese) is more of a coincidence. I'd think a Spanish Guyana (if there were such a place) would have been dealt with the same way.
image.png.7afa487fd2171f9fcf9bd8386dbfa4ec.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_South_American_countries_by_population

Edited by nfitz

3 minutes ago, BradMack said:

For all the hate OneSoccer gets, I absolutely love that they bring in guys like Humey, Edgar, etc. Honestly with Forrest, KJ, Sharmen, Dunfield, Humey, Edgar, hell even Wheeler and Larson, it's like a weird Canada soccer fever dream subscription service I would never have thought would happen. As a 26 year old, it is like every tv personality from my whole life of watching Canadian soccer is employed there, sans Dobson and De Vos. 

You've outed yourself as a mere child. The grizzled vets of Canada soccer support consider Vic Rauter and Graham Leggat to be the voices of a generation. 😄 

4 minutes ago, costarg said:

I guess he counters the Henry/Kennedy "first match" risk with putting our big guns all up front.  Risky and kinda cocky move.  Gotta say i'd have been quite a bit more conservative. 

Pouring another drink....

I'll drink to that! Even though I think this risky pairing at the back is our future if we make the ocho!

Kennedy is the player I'm least concerned about in that back 3. Johnston the most so. Sure he's defensive but CB is a very different position from his usual role. And until I see otherwise, I hate Davies playing as a LB for us (even if he's LWB in this game)

I think the reason I'm incredibly nervous is if we win we still have two more big games and if we lose it's an unmitigated disaster

I hope the boys aren't feeling the pressure as much as I am

8 minutes ago, BradMack said:

I'll only hate One Soccer if the stream is the same terrible quality as it was Saturday.