November friendlies

spitfire

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Perhaps he is taking a dig at the media for fervently reporting on any player who tests positive for COVID 19. It certainly captures the attention of the pearl clutchers, but it is really growing tiresome for the rest of us. 

So the media's only supposed to report on positive tests when it's players like Cristiano Ronaldo or Neymar that test positive? So when a Raul Ruidiaz or Weston McKennie gets it and it's reported, that's just to appease the pearl clutchers and not pertinent to soccer in this part of the world?

Even if he was "taking a dig," it still makes no sense. Players are going on international break and contracting the virus. That has real-world consequences, regardless of whether you believe COVID is dangerous or not. It's the media's job to report on it, not to appease those who are "tired" of it.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Your right, I feel terrible about myself. You sound very intelligent. When they pull that string in your back what else do you say?

I have an honours degree in Microbiology and Immunology from McGill.  So yeah, I know how viruses work as opposed to your opinions on virology.

And for the record, I wants us to play a friendly in Europe.  

Everyone chill... lets just focus on the potential of the friendly. If people don't want Canada to play maybe start another a thread called..  reasons Cantnada shouldn't play soccer games or something. I can guarantee I won't bother to go and make fun of people there 

This thread is to discuss a November friendly 

Just now, RS said:

So the media's only supposed to report on positive tests when it's players like Cristiano Ronaldo or Neymar that test positive? So when a Raul Ruidiaz or Weston McKennie gets it and it's reported, that's just to appease the pearl clutchers and not pertinent to soccer in this part of the world?

Even if he was "taking a dig," it still makes no sense. Players are going on international break and contracting the virus. That has real-world consequences, regardless of whether you believe COVID is dangerous or not.

The media is doing exactly what they are suppose to do, which is to grab attention. The bigger the player the more hoopla. It is not about appeasement, it is about views and coronavirus still gets views, especially from the people who still live in fear. Everyone else is increasingly tuning it out.

11 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I have an honours degree in Microbiology and Immunology from McGill.  So yeah, I know how viruses work as opposed to your opinions on virology.

I was kind of hoping your honours degree was in Criminology. ;)

As per above, I am very much for something in November, would love it here and the media here loves talking about Davies.  

That all said Liverpool has just gone back into what is essentially lockdown.  And the paper talk is that another full country one is a distinct possibility.  My club team has had positive tests and national teams with West Ham players on them have had positive tests this window (the Czech side playing Scotland right now is without 5 quarantined regulars).   

So as I said, earlier - dare to dream and get on it while realizing there are some big hurdles to overcome/steps that have to be taken.  

Now that we got that out of our systems, lets gently pull down our masks for a sec to have a lil chat about the topic at hand..

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/new-zealand-cancels-match-vs-england-due-covid-19-restrictions/

Seems the issue was pulling together enough players. Their lack of depth means they were likely dependent on the 4 MLS players. NZ has some very tight restrictions, so I wonder if getting the two boys in from Wellington Phoenix would have been an issue. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_national_football_team

Canada on the other hand has plenty of European-based players. I think we should be able to pull it off. 

Edited by Obinna

52 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Thats the spirit doc. Lets see this team in action 

V England 

Davies, David, Arfield, Estaquao, Hoilett, Larin, Hutch.. maybe even a couple surprises 

That would be amazing 

Edited by SpursFlu

If nations league didnt didn’t exist we would have played friendlies during this time. I’m ok with never playing one ever again if we have nations league, gold cup and World Cup qualifying fill the schedule with meaningful games.

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

If nations league didnt didn’t exist we would have played friendlies during this time. I’m ok with never playing one ever again if we have nations league, gold cup and World Cup qualifying fill the schedule with meaningful games.

Unfortunately with both CNL and GC we ended up playing non FIFA nations  & coupled with our loss to Haiti dropped us below El Salvador in FIFA rankings. Until our ranking improves, friendlies should be on the table.

Playing England would great way to see where our program is at. Most of the A squad plays in Europe. We have young talent players like Millar and Theo and others ready to showcase. The game might be a good way to bring in some dual nationals

just imagine if we play well vs England. Everyone would go crazy! the program needs that exposure. 

12 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Unfortunately with both CNL and GC we ended up playing non FIFA nations  & coupled with our loss to Haiti dropped us below El Salvador in FIFA rankings. Until our ranking improves, friendlies should be on the table.

I slightly regretted posting that when I did. You’re right 

33 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Race to the bottom for the worst take here...

Anyways, I like the idea of playing a team ranked only slightly higher, rather than an England. I think Greece or something would be really cool. 

I think it is valid to question the value of getting spanked by England. On the other hand, if we have a good showing it would be great for our confidence. I still remember losing to Argentina 5-1, but there was also the 3-2 loss to Brazil in Seattle. I think it would be more of a Brazil situation with the players we now have. 

29 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Playing England would great way to see where our program is at. Most of the A squad plays in Europe. We have young talent players like Millar and Theo and others ready to showcase. The game might be a good way to bring in some dual nationals

just imagine if we play well vs England. Everyone would go crazy! the program needs that exposure. 

Unfortunately the two best non-Davies fullbacks (Laryea and ZBG) wouldn't be available for this hypothetical game. I think they'd do extremely well in a match like this, if we're talking about exposure for players.

41 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Race to the bottom for the worst take here...

Anyways, I like the idea of playing a team ranked only slightly higher, rather than an England. I think Greece or something would be really cool. 

I agree with this. I’d rather play England when we’re not playing them with a watered down squad. We’re missing a lot of our depth, and we’re severely undermanned at RB with this only euro squad. Nonetheless, I’ll take any friendly at this moment