November friendlies

spitfire

54 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Has everyone forgotten about Petrasso for that RB spot?? 😉

Fresh off a debut brace. 

Well guys are slotting in Millar, Kennedy etc at RB based off 1-2 games there.  Petrasso put in a bunch of RB for us a few years ago and didnt look too bad...if we are just grasping at straws.    

Mauro Biello, in a podcast interview, talked about the next U20 qualifying and mentioned we had players at Panathinaikos (Ilias Iliadis), Wolverhampton (Corbeanu), Sandhausen (Fordyce-Hlywka) and Sheffield United (Jebbison).    That interview sent a bunch of us scrambling for info on these guys! 

2 hours ago, Strait Red said:

From what I understand he’s born in Oakville.

has scored a few for Sheffield United lately. I hadn’t heard of him either until recently but @jordan mentioned in the weekly Canadians abroad thread and he looks like a prospect.

I believe Sheffield are a couple divisions below the top U23 league, but doing well none the less for his age. Has a brother signed for Quorn in the 9th tier. 

2 Sheffield development squads are playing now, and he’s not in either squad

42 minutes ago, jordan said:

I believe Sheffield are a couple divisions below the top U23 league, but doing well none the less for his age. Has a brother signed for Quorn in the 9th tier. 

Okay so maybe I’m jumping the gun on this kid 😂 😂 😂 

Hopefully he continues to develop and becomes an option for us in a few years.

1 hour ago, jordan said:

The names are lots of fun

There is: 

Premier League 2  - Division 1.  Ben Paton has played in this with Blackburn u23s. From that you can be demoted to:

Premier League 2 - Division 2. This is where Corbeanu plays with Wolves u23s.  Obviously you can be promoted from this. (I know this from the experience of the West Ham u23s).

Unfortunately most sites don't differentiate between these, though they are distinct divisions with promotion and relegation.  The teams in them must come from clubs that have Elite Player Performance Plan Category 1 academies. 

Teams with Category 2 academies (there are 4 tiers) compete in the Professional Development League with two divisions spilt regionally not hierarchically. 

This is were the Sheffield United U23s are competing. 

The Sheffield United site is a bit of shambles right apparently they are migrating to a new one but here is what they have on Jebbison:

"Striker Jebbison arrived at United in 2019 after a successful trial period. Jebbison scored nine goals in 17 appearances during his first season at the club and also made two appearances for the under 23s." 

Not sure if that is old or new but he has shown up in 2 Professional Development League match reports this season - on at 72' in one and going 90' last week against Bristol City.  He also has a game and a half with the under 18s this season, according to their match reports.  So hopefully building something with recent performances. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

13 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Here’s mine: Losing Davies and having to push Arfield to wing forces me to not do what I had previously posted and have Hutch at RB. Godinho isn’t getting much playing time in a 3rd division squad so I went with the utility player Wotherspoon as he has some experience there. 

C57B40CF-8375-44E8-80BD-FE74BAB50840.jpeg

I like this lineup but I'd switch it up just a bit.

------------------------Larin---------------------------

Twardek-----------David----------Hoilett

-----------Eustaquio-----Arfield---------------

Adekugbe--Vitoria--James--Hutchinson

------------------------Borjan-----------------

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I like this lineup but I'd switch it up just a bit.

------------------------Larin---------------------------

Twardek-----------David----------Hoilett

-----------Eustaquio-----Arfield---------------

Adekugbe--Vitoria--James--Hutchinson

------------------------Borjan-----------------

Solid lineup except RB which isn't his natural position

I guess who you call depends what we want out of these games. 

We want:

- To bring people into the program?

- Exposure against maybe/hopefully a big opponent? At least an indication that we are alive and building.

- General cohesiveness/team building? (missing a few pieces but still worth it)

There are some people we don't need to call, if we are just focusing on one or even two of those.  In my opinion.

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I guess who you call depends what we want out of these games. 

We want:

- To bring people into the program?

- Exposure against maybe/hopefully a big opponent? At least an indication that we are alive and building.

- General cohesiveness/team building? (missing a few pieces but still worth it)

There are some people we don't need to call, if we are just focusing on one or even two of those.  In my opinion.

I think it’s a mix of 1 and 3, most important being 3. I think we see some of our young promising u23s brought in as new faces (Corbeanu, Mitrovic). But the main goal should be getting as many as our main core as we can, rebuilding familiarity. We can focus on bigger opponents when COVID and injuries aren’t getting in our way. 

Because this is a friendly with nothing on the line, I lean towards Hutchinson at center mid and not right back. 

In the event of a winner-take-all scenario with this group of players, I would trust Hutchinson at RB over Godinho. Even though it is not his natural position, he played 3 quarters of his PSV games in that position. He is no stranger to right back. 

Edited by Obinna

15 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I think it’s a mix of 1 and 3, most important being 3. I think we see some of our young promising u23s brought in as new faces (Corbeanu, Mitrovic). But the main goal should be getting as many as our main core as we can, rebuilding familiarity. We can focus on bigger opponents when COVID and injuries aren’t getting in our way. 

I would generally agree.  The reason I put 2 in there is that our national players have got so much good press over here lately that I was thinking that if we gave a decent game to a decent opponent, there would be a little more of that.  Would help solidify and maybe bring over some duals.  No idea how much would trickle home.  

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the England FA cancelled an expected game for Tuesday due to COVID.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/25/england-women-cancel-germany-match-after-positive-coronavirus-test-emerges-football

I expect that this will have implications for the men's side too.

Unfortunately, the pandemic continues to disrupt international football.

29 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I would generally agree.  The reason I put 2 in there is that our national players have got so much good press over here lately that I was thinking that if we gave a decent game to a decent opponent, there would be a little more of that.  Would help solidify and maybe bring over some duals.  No idea how much would trickle home.  

Completely agree. I would just like to see the likes of Davies, David, Laryea and all of our domestic depth be on the same squad for our big “advertisement” game. Essentially our best 23 possible vs best possibly available opponent