November friendlies

spitfire

35 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Playing England would great way to see where our program is at. Most of the A squad plays in Europe. We have young talent players like Millar and Theo and others ready to showcase. The game might be a good way to bring in some dual nationals

just imagine if we play well vs England. Everyone would go crazy! the program needs that exposure. 

Fullback depth gone with euro only squad (ZBG Laryea Johnston) lack of goal scoring depth (Cavallini and possibly Akinola) and our midfield depth (Kaye, Osorio). Like I said, I’ll take any friendly but one around our level (Korea as mentioned) would be better then getting spanked by a full squad England vs our a watered down Euro only squad 

3 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I agree with this. I’d rather play England when we’re not playing them with a watered down squad. We’re missing a lot of our depth, and we’re severely undermanned at RB with this only euro squad. Nonetheless, I’ll take any friendly at this moment

This was also my initial thought, but I the more I think of it the more I convince myself we will be alright:

----------------Larin------------David-------------------

Davies------------------------------------------Hoilett

--------------Arfield-----------Eustaquio----------------

Adekugbe----Vitoria---James----Millar

-----------------------Borjan----------------------------------

*Fit Hutch in there if he is available. 

That is not perfect, but there is enough there I think not to get shellacked.

The depth is very questionable though: Godinho, Corbeanu, Mitrovic, Kennedy, Paton, Byrn, Leutwiler. That is very bare bones....Goes to show how dependent we are on the MLS guys now. If we have access to Cordova and Henry it would help some.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This was also my initial thought, but I the more I think of it the more I convince myself we will be alright:

The depth is very questionable though: Godinho, Corbeanu, Mitrovic, Kennedy, Paton, Byrn, Leutwiler. That is very bare bones....Goes to show how dependent we are on the MLS guys now. If we have access to Cordova and Henry it would help some.

You’re right, that’s a decent lineup. Millar at RB vs England definitely scares me a bit tho. would still rather that then Godinho though haha. If it’s a 1 game only where we don’t have to rotate XIs, it would definitely compete with pretty much anyone.

2 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

You’re right, that’s a decent lineup. Millar at RB vs England definitely scares me a bit tho. would still rather that then Godinho though haha. If it’s a 1 game only where we don’t have to rotate XIs, it would definitely compete with pretty much anyone.

Yeah I know what you mean! For me it is sort of pick your poison. Godinho is a proper right back who may not be able to up his level for such a game. Millar is good enough to play in a high level game, but he is not a right back. If you make me choose, I take Millar and bank on him figuring it out, probably relying on his pace to make up for positional mistakes. It would certainly up his value to do well in a game like that, even if he was out of position. Plus he would not be over-awed going up against some of those England players. 

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We never play with two forwards like that, can't see us doing it against the like of England.
And the defence experiment of putting Millar at RB, I rather play it safe.

---------------------------Larin------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
Hoilett-------------------David-------------------Davies
(Millar)-----------------------------------------(Corbeanu)
-------------------Arfield---Eustaquio--------------------
-----------------------------(Paton)------------------------
Adekugbe--------Kenney----Vitoria---------------James
(Bassong)---------------------------------------(Godinho)
-------------------------Borjan--------------------------

Just now, Shway said:

We never play with two forwards like that, can't see us doing it against the like of England.
And the defence experiment of putting Millar at RB, I rather play it safe.

---------------------------Larin------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
Hoilett-------------------David-------------------Davies
(Millar)-----------------------------------------(Corbeanu)
-------------------Arfield---Eustaquio--------------------
-----------------------------(Paton)------------------------
Adekugbe--------Kenney----Vitoria---------------James
(Bassong)---------------------------------------(Godinho)
-------------------------Borjan--------------------------

I originally had David in the hole. I imagine him as more of a second-forward in the way I laid it out.

As for Millar at RB, that is my idea of playing it safe :) I really have doubts about Godinho against a team like England. At least Millar has tools that may get him out of trouble. I also think James at fullback is asking for trouble, even with Davies ahead of him. I do like the idea of him and Hoilett on their opposite flanks though. They switch all the time as it is. 

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

You also have Wotherspoon, he’s played RB and all over the middle. He’s a solid player and has played a ton of soccer

I wish this was all it took. I have played a ton of soccer, call me up!

P.S. I am not saying Wotherspoon isn't deserving of playing there, I haven’t seen him play except maybe in 1 game for Canada?

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Perhaps he is taking a dig at the media for fervently reporting on any player who tests positive for COVID 19. It certainly captures the attention of the pearl clutchers, but it is really growing tiresome for the rest of us. 

Or perhaps because the whole reason why club soccer even works right now is because teams can create bubbles, and international play with different players coming from different locations of the world puts something already fragile into unnecessary stake? It's really not rocket science

12 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Everyone chill... lets just focus on the potential of the friendly. If people don't want Canada to play maybe start another a thread called..  reasons Cantnada shouldn't play soccer games or something. I can guarantee I won't bother to go and make fun of people there 

This thread is to discuss a November friendly 

No one here is advocating for Canada to not play, but here's a shocker, you can still acknowledge the risks and be hopeful for a friendly, the two aren't mutually exclusive. 

Edited by LeoH037

8 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Everyone chill... lets just focus on the potential of the friendly. If people don't want Canada to play maybe start another a thread called..  reasons Cantnada shouldn't play soccer games or something. I can guarantee I won't bother to go and make fun of people there 

This thread is to discuss a November friendly 

Strange, if that is the purpose of this thread, what value does your sh*t posting and name calling contribute?

1 hour ago, RS said:

Do we?

This is just Leos Elitist/biased attitude I referred to in the Fraser thread. Refer to the Cavallini thread for exhibit B of this attitude. If you don’t play for TFC or in Europe, then in Leos mind you’re useless in this Canadian soccer landscape. It’s a weird attitude, to hate and make fun of your fellow countryman teams playing In the exact same league as you. Me myself, I’m a Whitecaps fan first and foremost. But I love to see TFC/Montreal do well specially if the Canadians on that said team are apart of that winning culture. He embodies the many reasons why a lot of Toronto sports fans are not liked outside of the GTA

edit: I hope this doesn’t offend the many other level headed TFC fans on here. You know who you are

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

I have a tough time seeing DC make it, but given that they don't have any Canadians on it, it's somewhat moot if they don't. Only team not currently in a non-playoff spot with Canadians on it is Miami. David Norman Jr. should be free regardless since he never even dresses for that team.