Gabriel Pellegrino

VinceA

TFC lose a lot of their academy kids early!

Michael Petrasso, Dylan Carreiro, Keven Alemán, Ricardo Ferreira, Russell Teibert, Sergio Camargo, Marcus Godinho and Tristan Borges to name a few. With Gabriel Pellegrino and potentially Jakhelle Marshall-Rutty leaving you have to wonder why this is happening.

Are they trying to force them into contracts to keep control over them and the player doesn't want to make that commitment or do these players just see European leagues as a better route?

19 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

TFC lose a lot of their academy kids early!

Michael Petrasso, Dylan Carreiro, Keven Alemán, Ricardo Ferreira, Russell Teibert, Sergio Camargo, Marcus Godinho and Tristan Borges to name a few. With Gabriel Pellegrino and potentially Jakhelle Marshall-Rutty leaving you have to wonder why this is happening.

Are they trying to force them into contracts to keep control over them and the player doesn't want to make that commitment or do these players just see European leagues as a better route?

Altobelli and Halley also ditched TFC for York9. I think it's simply seeing how TFC actually uses their academy products. If I'm a MF and I see Fraser and Okello aren't getting any time, why would I want to stay and know I won't be getting time either?

It’s no surprise that TFC loses their academy kids. For one, they see there is little or no chance that they’ll ever make it into the senior side. I also wonder how the level of football education they receive compares with academies elsewhere in the world? There also doesn’t seem to be much stability (director /coaches).  
Good luck to Pellegrino for taking a shot abroad!

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Altobelli and Halley also ditched TFC for York9. I think it's simply seeing how TFC actually uses their academy products. If I'm a MF and I see Fraser and Okello aren't getting any time, why would I want to stay and know I won't be getting time either?

Bingo! You have two Canadian internationals not getting time. What future do you see there?

I don't think it's far-fetched to think that Jonathan David could have signed for TFC and he would be glued to the bench behind Altidore/Giovinco etc. It's just a different philosophy with the club. And rightly so when you are paying huge stars disproportionate salaries they're not being displaced.

12 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Bingo! You have two Canadian internationals not getting time. What future do you see there?

I don't think it's far-fetched to think that Jonathan David could have signed for TFC and he would be glued to the bench behind Altidore/Giovinco etc. It's just a different philosophy with the club. And rightly so when you are paying huge stars disproportionate salaries they're not being displaced.

I think this gets at the heart of it.  TFC simply have a different model.  They are not a developmental club because they prefer to compete by generally buying the finished product.  And that is fine as long as the fans are happy with it.  But it clearly is not the right developmental path for many young Canadian players - at least not in the long term.  

Of course, the flip side is that it seems like a lot of these young kids are scooped up by the academy and get the sort of training that opens other doors for them.  To me, that isn’t a bad thing.  I have no idea how many of these kids would pursue  alternative paths to elite training streams (Including abroad) so it is difficult to assess the overall impact of the TFC academy.  It seems like the main thing is that a player with aspirations to play competitive footy ASAP needs to know when to move to another opportunity so that they don’t stunt their development.  Having said that, CPL will offer a different pathway that could quickly become established as the preferred route to pro footy.   

3 hours ago, bwilly11 said:

Has anyone here seen him play much? I assume this is joining the academy?

Seems like a solid place to develop!

Watched him a hand full of times.

Thought he was a decent player. Very energetic and hard working type of player. Having said that, I didn't think he was the biggest standout on  the team that I saw and wasn't really a starter. 

If you guys search tfc generation Adidas tournament on YouTube or something similar like that you'll  see full matches. 

For people complaining how tfc handled this. Apparently tfc did offer him a home grown contract once word got out that some clubs were interested. He declined. 

I also think some people are over thinking the situation a little too. If you're 16 and you get an offer from Europe, you're going to get tempted. In the end of the day Europe still has a better reputation. I really don't think he's looking at the tfc squad and being put off by it.

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

The counterpoint to this argument is that players that have stuck with TFC like Ashtone Morgan, Jay Chapman, Doneil Henry, Jordan Hamilton, Liam Fraser and Ayo Akinola have had arguably more success than players who have left.

The good thing is that they are pumping a lot of kids out.  I wonder if the ones that leave are as good as we think..ie TFC makes sure they keep the best (Nelsen, Akinola, Henry, DUnn, Fraser, Okello, Rutty) and they dont sweat that much about the ones who leave.  As they always have a bunch and cant give minutes to the ones they keep. 

Maybe in 2 years time we'll be talking about Pellegrino like David, about them being smart to get to europe ASAP and develop there.  Good luck to him, although it would be nice if one of these kids was a CB, HAHA.  

7 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Very energetic

With a name like Pellegrino, I'm a little sad you didn't describe him as "bubbly" instead. :D
(I'll see myself out)

Also, how is he a "Youth International" as Goff claims? He doesn't have a profile on CanadaSoccer and wasn't part of the last U-15 squad:

https://canadasoccer.com/national-teams/excel-teams/?gender=male&teamId=2073

He was eligible; he's a 2004.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

With a name like Pellegrino, I'm a little sad you didn't describe him as "bubbly" instead. :D
(I'll see myself out)

Also, how is he a "Youth International" as Goff claims? He doesn't have a profile on CanadaSoccer and wasn't part of the last U-15 squad:

https://canadasoccer.com/national-teams/excel-teams/?gender=male&teamId=2073

He was eligible; he's a 2004.

I saw this earlier today 

13 hours ago, Ruffian said:

The counterpoint to this argument is that players that have stuck with TFC like Ashtone Morgan, Jay Chapman, Doneil Henry, Jordan Hamilton, Liam Fraser and Ayo Akinola have had arguably more success than players who have left.

I’m genuinely curious how many TFC academy players have left the club, and afterwards proven that they deserved more minutes with TFC. I can’t think of enough examples to start questioning the clubs philosophy, but I really don’t follow them that closely 

14 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I’m genuinely curious how many TFC academy players have left the club, and afterwards proven that they deserved more minutes with TFC. I can’t think of enough examples to start questioning the clubs philosophy, but I really don’t follow them that closely 

Take a look at this page at "Academy Graduates" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC_Academy

To me its not really how many guys left and made it big, but how many guys did they sit on for 2-3 years that might have done better elsewhere.  If Okello had gone to Wolfsburg a couple years ago, would he be farther along now??  Would TFC even missed him as he doesnt seem to be a big part of their plans.  If covid hadnt happened I doubt Peruzza was going to be in TFC's plan this year, so why not sell him on to europe? Maybe playing time at a higher league than USL would help him along.  They will be hard pressed to find time for Akinola, Achara or Nelsen, SHaff or even Fraser etc.  SOme guys are going to get squezzed out and maybe they could have broke out with a team that would give them more of a shot as a 18-19 year old.  

Too few players have made it to become pillars of TFC's flagship, that's the big problem, not losing a couple of youth players to foreign development teams. Ajax-fans are hardly complaining their club is developing players for half the Eredivisie, they'd start complaining if they didn't produce exceptional players for the first team as well.