Gabriel Pellegrino

VinceA

Didn't TFC II cancel their season? If I was 16-18, and my growth depends on play time, of course I'd leave the TFC Academy this year. With the chance of playing time with say, York9 (I can't remember their names offhand) or Freiburg (Pellegrino), plus practice with stronger/older/more experienced players, it would makes sense to leave this year.

That being said, congrats to Pellegrino. I hope it works out well and he gets playing time.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Interview for Transfermarkt:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/gabriel-pellegrino-meet-freiburgs-canmnt-talent-who-models-himself-after-frenkie-de-jong/view/news/417081

Says he models himself after Frenkie de Jong, training at Freiburg is so much more intense than at TFC Academy, and that he’s committed to Canada, he admires Osorio and Eustaquio.

some statistics website projects him to peak as a slightly above average Bundesliga player using some metric I don’t quite understand, which is really encouraging for what it’s worth, but cool to see him getting a bit of hype either way.

• 3 months later...

He's signed a new contract with Freiburg. Expectation is he will join the second side permanently in 3. Liga while getting some first-team training reps. Freiburg will be back in Europe next season and maybe even Champions League. Freiburg II have quite a lot of central midfielders but Merlin Röhl and Robert Wagner will likely step up to the first team next season or atleast go out on loan.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Csl5lUZMAYG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

edit: Just looked at 3. Liga standings, they can be automatically promoted or at the very least will go to promotion playoffs.

Edited by Atlantic

10 hours ago, Atlantic said:

He's signed a new contract with Freiburg. Expectation is he will join the second side permanently in 3. Liga while getting some first-team training reps. Freiburg will be back in Europe next season and maybe even Champions League. Freiburg II have quite a lot of central midfielders but Merlin Röhl and Robert Wagner will likely step up to the first team next season or atleast go out on loan.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Csl5lUZMAYG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

edit: Just looked at 3. Liga standings, they can be automatically promoted or at the very least will go to promotion playoffs.

Just so you know Freiburg II can't be promoted. They have to remain at least two tiers below the first team. But yeah there may be a fair bit of turnover in the midfield so hopefully he'll get a good chunk of minutes

Hopefully he can compete for some good 3. Liga minutes, would be great for his development in a much needed position.  Freiburg will also play UEFA Youth League as a result of qualifying for Champions League so I imagine Gabriel will also play those matches which can be good.  

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, narduch said:

All of a sudden the Italian pyramid is pretty interesting to Canadian fans.

1 guy in Serie A.

1 guy in Serie B.

6 guys in Serie C.

A lot of guys in academies too. I posted an abridged list in the Canucks Abroad thread, but I think we’ve got 10 or so guys in the Italian youth system too. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, narduch said:

Doesn't appear to have been in the line up for any matches for Sudtirol since the loan.

Why bother making the move if he isn't going to play?

Note I have no clue if he is injured 

Been playing for their Primavera team, 4 games so far. I realize it’s a decent jump, he wasn’t a starter for Freiburg reserves in third tier, and we expect him to get minutes in Serie B, but if he’s going to be stuck playing u19 ball, you may as well call him back 

Edited by phresh

3 minutes ago, phresh said:

Been playing for their Primavera team, 4 games so far. I realize it’s a decent jump, he wasn’t a starter for Freiburg reserves in third tier, and we expect him to get minutes in Serie B, but if he’s going to be stuck playing u19 ball, you may as well call him back 

He was getting minutes in B3 before this loan.

Seems like a step back