Theo Corbeanu

jordan

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Different positions though- Corbeanu plays on the right, Millar on the Left. PNE usually play with wingers, so both could play. Though Preston does have Duane Holmes as an RW who is pretty solid, so I don't know that TC could walk into a starting role which is what I think he needs.

Actually, they play the same positions. Liam Millar before his switch was playing sometimes on his "preferred" RW at Basel. (I know spitfire mentioned that before that he doesn't play on the RW, and how he's always put on the LW even with Canada)
Theo played LW the majority of the time at Blackpool, and has played a few times with Grasshopers on the left. Who's to say that a coach couldn't swap Corbeanu to the LWB - he is naturally left footed and with a 352 it requires the width and ability to stretch the field and get crosses in.

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Different positions though- Corbeanu plays on the right, Millar on the Left. PNE usually play with wingers, so both could play. Though Preston does have Duane Holmes as an RW who is pretty solid, so I don't know that TC could walk into a starting role which is what I think he needs.

He's second in Switzerland in assists, per Fotmob, compared to other midfielders (for some reason) he's in the 99th percentile for chances created and 98% for shots created. This is all for a Grasshoper team that has not been able to score consistently this year and currently only have one player who has been able to score consistently.

I watched him a lot at Blackpool too- he looked very good, though he fell out of favour with the coach; I think this had to do with his unwillingness to get his teammates involved, which considering his assist and playmaking numbers this season, I would say that message has been well recieved. IIRC, he also got injured just before the world cup last year which I think is why he was sent back to Wolves in the first place, and they likely only sent him to Bielefeld as there likely weren't many opportunities for an injured winger on loan so late into the winter window. I think it was less about selling him and more about finding a team that would take him. Per his performances for Grasshopper this season, I think it would be safe to consider his time in Germany an anomaly rather than any indication of what he can do.

Not to mention that his loan is being cut short because of the sale to LAFC, not because he wasn't good; he was still one of the best players on his team. We should find out soon where he's headed. I just checked, and tomorrow will be a year to the date of when he was loaned to Arminia, so hopefully this window, he'll have a few more suitors who are willing to take him out on loan. I think he's proven this season that he's improved on a lot of what made it hard to keep him in games in the championship, so hopefully that's where he ends up.

I do recall now it was late in the window, thanks. Sometimes when you loan a player abroad it's with one eye on a potential sale afterwards, but given how late it was in the window I do think you are right on that. Regardless, he has indeed been good in Switzerland, but it's Switzerland. Of all the levels he's been loaned to, it's arguably the lowest (probably aside from League One). It's positive he's second in assists (didn't realize it was that high) and his decision making does seem to have matured. Hopefully that helps him earn a solid loan this window, if not a chance with Wolves first team. I would love for him to get the EPL chance. 

46 minutes ago, Shway said:

Actually, they play the same positions. Liam Millar before his switch was playing sometimes on his "preferred" RW at Basel. (I know spitfire mentioned that before that he doesn't play on the RW, and how he's always put on the LW even with Canada)
Theo played LW the majority of the time at Blackpool, and has played a few times with Grasshopers on the left. Who's to say that a coach couldn't swap Corbeanu to the LWB - he is naturally left footed and with a 352 it requires the width and ability to stretch the field and get crosses in.

Liam prefers either LW(1st choice) or the 9...RW if he is asked too... he is a inverted winger by trade...

Big rematch with Leeds Sunday on SKY...

Edited by spitfire

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

Liam prefers either LW(1st choice) or the 9...RW if he is asked too... he is a inverted winger by trade...

Big rematch with Leeds Sunday on SKY...

Okay, so when you mentioned that it was moreso what you wanted to potentially see, and not him telling you that.
I remember during one of our debates that you stated about putting him out there.

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Okay, so when you mentioned that it was moreso what you wanted to potentially see, and not him telling you that.
I remember during one of our debates that you stated about putting him out there.

realistically he can play anywhere across the front three or wingback or midfield but think his best postions is LW in a 433

6 hours ago, jordan said:

Back to Wolves. LAFC bought grasshopper.

An hour before you posted that, I anticipated it on the MLS Talk thread, here. Literally said "This could alter the terms of the Corbeanu loan there, as the Wolves connection has been terminated."

I am rarely good at anticipating stuff, so just begging for a bit of cred here.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

An hour before you posted that, I anticipated it on the MLS Talk thread, here. Literally said "This could alter the terms of the Corbeanu loan there, as the Wolves connection has been terminated."

I am rarely good at anticipating stuff, so just begging for a bit of cred here.

Missed that but good point out! I must say it’s hard to read the MLS threads while the team I follow sucks as much as they do.

18 hours ago, Obinna said:

It's positive he's second in assists (didn't realize it was that high) and his decision making does seem to have matured. Hopefully that helps him earn a solid loan this window, if not a chance with Wolves first team. I would love for him to get the EPL chance. 

And why not? Overall, he's played well. An EPL team might just look at him as a low-cost, potentially high-reward option. 

6 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

And why not? Overall, he's played well. An EPL team might just look at him as a low-cost, potentially high-reward option. 

Don't know what their options are, but Luton would be an interesting destination. Would feel sort of like Blackpool to me, underdog team likely to get relegatged. I felt that situation served him well, he stood out and was a key attacker (just like he is now at Grasshoppers). This would be the same basic scenario, except much closer to the level of Wolves. It would really be like a final test to prove he is ready for Wolves first team, being in the same division and all. 

No inside knowledge other than watching Wolves a few times over the last couple months.  

The good news is they don't have a lot of quality depth in wide areas. 

That said and the bad news is that they don't play much with wingers lately.  They have used 3 at the back for most games since the end of September and in every game I have seen them lately. Ait-Nouri and Semedo are probably the prefered wingbacks and they provide the width.  

They have an attacking 3 in Hwang, Cunha and Sarabia that have done well lately together.  They swap positions a fair but but stay mostly central when I have seen them,  The back-up to those three have been central forwards  Kalajdzic and former wonder kid Fabio Silva, who both just went out on loan. Hwang is gone for the Asian Cup at least short term.   They have been linked with Ings (wages way too high I would think)  and Broja (fee sounds high). 

Neto was out with a hamstring since October but had a pretty amazing 8 assists before that.  He got 10' in their last  game so I would think they will try to get him more involved sooner rather later.

If Corbeanu can slot in as a counter-attacking forward, who can work and pass through the middle, there could very well be some sub minutes. Or if they decide they want to get Neto on the pitch as a winger and need something on the other side. 

(Despite being Gary O'Wall, I do like his manager now.)

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

rumour out of Belgium is that Leuven is interested in signing him, along with a club from Denmark and some MLS clubs too.

Interesting. Tristan Borges ex club.

Fighting relegation 

As I have said before, the most important thing is that our players play regularly.

Counter-point.

There is really no better time for him get sub minutes at Wolves.  Most likely as a forward but they are not massively deep at wingback either.  Their attempts to bring people in have stalled in various ways and they need help.

4 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Off to La Liga it looks like, incredible step.

Very nice step ...if it pans out. 

Assume you cannot tell us the club, but I will assume it's someone in the lower half. Regardless, would obviously be a good test. Very big step up, to be sure, but one he has the talent to play at, I believe.