Theo Corbeanu

jordan

4 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Switches to the right. Currently in the 33rd minute down 1-0. 

So-so game from him at this point. Turned it over a couple of times, but has created a bit as well. Put in a good cross but no one got a head to it. Also hit the bar just now from a tight angle. 

I don’t understand how this guy keeps getting left off our roster time after time. He’s got flaws in his game but he can also create instant offense. To think he wouldn’t have been a great substitution last Tuesday versus Jamaica in the second half is so frustrating 

1 minute ago, EJsens1 said:

I don’t understand how this guy keeps getting left off our roster time after time. He’s got flaws in his game but he can also create instant offense. To think he wouldn’t have been a great substitution last Tuesday versus Jamaica in the second half is so frustrating 

To be fair, he was injured during the last window. Otherwise, I agree 100 per cent. 

7 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

If you've watched any of his Grasshopper games, he has major flaws. Lots of giveaways and he lacks getting his teammates involved. Way too many solo attacks. He hasn't advanced to the level we had hoped he would. He is still really young, hopefully he keeps improving.

The part of his game that Canada desperately needs, is his corner kicks and set piece kicks. He has definitely improved this year with these. And i cant watch another Davies kick. But its hard to get him on the field, just for free kicks

3 hours ago, blueseeka said:

If you've watched any of his Grasshopper games, he has major flaws. Lots of giveaways and he lacks getting his teammates involved. Way too many solo attacks. He hasn't advanced to the level we had hoped he would. He is still really young, hopefully he keeps improving.

The part of his game that Canada desperately needs, is his corner kicks and set piece kicks. He has definitely improved this year with these. And i cant watch another Davies kick. But its hard to get him on the field, just for free kicks

Look, I've been critical of his game lately, but you're selling him really short here.

He was again one of the highest rated for Grasshopper today and is in their top two or three players all season. And he is just returning from injury / shaking off the rust. He is also among the league's best in assists.

I have watched pretty much all of his games this year and his dribbling, crossing and vision have all been outstanding. Not sure how one could argue that he's only good for set pieces. 

4 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Look, I've been critical of his game lately, but you're selling him really short here.

He was again one of the highest rated for Grasshopper today and is in their top two or three players all season. And he is just returning from injury / shaking off the rust. He is also among the league's best in assists.

I have watched pretty much all of his games this year and his dribbling, crossing and vision have all been outstanding. Not sure how one could argue that he's only good for set pieces. 

He'll be a big player for Canada for years to come and they need to seriously consider integrating him back in the mix asap as we don't have profiles like him.  So direct, so powerful, will get service in, has confidence in spades to go at goal or take guys on.  If anything, he's a player you bring on to change the game and take a much more direct approach.  What he's doing in a underperforming team is quality.  Without doubt he will get a good move on the back of this season.  

I haven't watched him at all this year but he has started 10 of the 13 matches he has been in the squad and where he didn't start, he came on as a sub.  The 2 matches he wasn't in the squad, he was injured.  That being said, he definitely was playing less in the last 4 matches before he was injured which as has been said on here, has been a bit of a trend with him on his loans.  Lets hope that now that he is back from injury, he can resume playing 75 to 90 mins a match.  

He is tied for second in the league in assists and is first on his team in points.

FWIW, on Fotmob, he is the second highest rated player on his team this year and 35th in the league on a weak team (10th out of 12). He is third on his team on Sofascore and 27th in the league.  

So I would tend to agree with DeRo is King that he has made steps forward even if blueseeka is right that he still has holes in his game that need work.

As a comparison, Liam Miller was 16th on his team on Sofascore last year and and 12th the year before.  And 12th last year on Fotmob and 3rd the year before (and much lower in the league overall but I haven't checked that but just going by his scores).

Also, as noted on here, the Swiss league has a pretty high coefficient in Europe as it only has 12 teams unlike some of the similar sized countries like Portugal or the Netherlands that have 18.  The average team in Swtz is just much better than those two leagues even if the top 3 or 4 are not.

To both points- that he has flaws and also he is and will continue to become a really good player, I thought FOTMob’s Player Traits map points to both of those things- he’s in the 99th percentile for similar positioned players in similar leagues for chances created and shot attempts, he’s in the middle of the pack for goals, but defence, aerial duels, and touches, he’s right at the bottom. Feel like a player like this can contribute on a really good time with the stuff he’s good at and play with players who can cover up the stuff he’s poor at. 

A874AF9A-3263-40E1-8A79-3DC4A8DD818E.jpeg

17 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Definitely not trying to poop his progress. But all these, I don't understand why he is not on the CMNT roster. It is obvious when you watch him. His great games are fantastic and his poor games are so poor. He is very close to making the roster but CMNT doesn't bring very many wingers/ forwards. There just aren't alot of spots.

He isn't getting a spot over Larin, David, Davies, Millar, Buchanen.

I feel he is rated below Brym and Ugbo

On the same level as Nelson

Above JRR and Cavallini

He is very close to actually making the roster but still has a way to go

Edited by blueseeka

• 2 weeks later...

With Basel now a man down it would be a good opportunity for a guy like Theo to get some offensive production.  

He made a good run a bit ago that somehow wasn’t a foul when he got taken down.   But somewhat typically (I think), he had good passing options but tried to get through on his own.  In fairness, he might have except for the foul that wasn’t called.  

35 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

With Basel now a man down it would be a good opportunity for a guy like Theo to get some offensive production.  

He made a good run a bit ago that somehow wasn’t a foul when he got taken down.   But somewhat typically (I think), he had good passing options but tried to get through on his own.  In fairness, he might have except for the foul that wasn’t called.  

Yes. He's looked good since coming on. Providing good service. Saw that direct run with the ball in the final third. Was bodychecked. Can't believe the no call.

It's 0-0 at half after five long minutes were added due to the Basel red card and player injuries for both teams. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, jordan said:

Back to Wolves. LAFC bought grasshopper.

I love Theo’s game and just want to see him stick with one team for consistency’s sake. Considering it’s only the Wolves Academy posting this I don’t think it’s a good sign that he has a shot at the senior team. Probably going to be sent out on loan somewhere else?

33 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Curious where he’s off to next. He looked pretty good with Grasshopper. A return to the championship would be a good move. Really looking forward to whenever he can finally stick with a team for more than 4 months. 

Agreed, with hopefully a team fighting for the playoff spot. And then the Millar vs Corbeanu debates could return lol.

I have defended Corbeanu more than once, but I am starting to wonder if the critics have a point. His loans do seem to start off bright, then fizzle out.

I did watch several of his games at Grasshoppers and he was consistently one of their best attackers, yet the stats seem to be lacking and not capturing that. Maybe the lack of production doesn't matter so much, but at some point I feel it will hurt his case.

I am getting a little tired of the loan merry-go-round with Theo. He's not THAT young anymore. 

For those who follow Wolves (@Hawkguy?)....is there any chance he rides out the season at Wolves and gets into a few league or cup matches....or should we expect yet another loan? 

Also, was the loan terminated because of the LAFC purchase? They were previously owned by Wolves, right? Or at least there was an affiliation of some sort between Wolves and Grasshoppers.

This loan felt like to me like "last chance saloon" for Corbeanu insofar as his Wolves career. He is 21 and essentially went to their farm team, after going to the Championship (probably to get seasoned) and 2. Bundesliga (potentially to get sold?). And he still wasn't ready for the Wolves first team, nor did he impress enough for someone else to come in and buy. 

Regardless, good luck to him. A big talent that needs and deserves a situation in which he can florish.

Edited by Obinna

38 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Honestly would love Corbeanu with Millar at Preston. You like this speedy, flashy Canadian who can play make and has a nose for the net? Why not a second?

I don't know man.... everbody loves the idea of two Canadians playing on the same team. But nobody likes the idea of them possibly competing for the same minutes. 

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

I don't know man.... everbody loves the idea of two Canadians playing on the same team. But nobody likes the idea of them possibly competing for the same minutes. 

Different positions though- Corbeanu plays on the right, Millar on the Left. PNE usually play with wingers, so both could play. Though Preston does have Duane Holmes as an RW who is pretty solid, so I don't know that TC could walk into a starting role which is what I think he needs.

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I have defended Corbeanu more than once, but I am starting to wonder if the critics have a point. His loans do seem to start off bright, then fizzle out.

I did watch several of his games at Grasshoppers and he was consistently one of their best attackers, yet the stats seem to be lacking and not capturing that. Maybe the lack of production doesn't matter so much, but at some point I feel it will hurt his case.

I am getting a little tired of the loan merry-go-round with Theo. He's not THAT young anymore. 

For those who follow Wolves (@Hawkguy?)....is there any chance he rides out the season at Wolves and gets into a few league or cup matches....or should we expect yet another loan? 

Also, was the loan terminated because of the LAFC purchase? They were previously owned by Wolves, right? Or at least there was an affiliation of some sort between Wolves and Grasshoppers.

This loan felt like to me like "last chance saloon" for Corbeanu insofar as his Wolves career. He is 21 and essentially went to their farm team, after going to the Championship (probably to get seasoned) and 2. Bundesliga (potentially to get sold?). And he still wasn't ready for the Wolves first team, nor did he impress enough for someone else to come in and buy. 

Regardless, good luck to him. A big talent that needs and deserves a situation in which he can florish.

He's second in Switzerland in assists, per Fotmob, compared to other midfielders (for some reason) he's in the 99th percentile for chances created and 98% for shots created. This is all for a Grasshoper team that has not been able to score consistently this year and currently only have one player who has been able to score consistently.

I watched him a lot at Blackpool too- he looked very good, though he fell out of favour with the coach; I think this had to do with his unwillingness to get his teammates involved, which considering his assist and playmaking numbers this season, I would say that message has been well recieved. IIRC, he also got injured just before the world cup last year which I think is why he was sent back to Wolves in the first place, and they likely only sent him to Bielefeld as there likely weren't many opportunities for an injured winger on loan so late into the winter window. I think it was less about selling him and more about finding a team that would take him. Per his performances for Grasshopper this season, I think it would be safe to consider his time in Germany an anomaly rather than any indication of what he can do.

Not to mention that his loan is being cut short because of the sale to LAFC, not because he wasn't good; he was still one of the best players on his team. We should find out soon where he's headed. I just checked, and tomorrow will be a year to the date of when he was loaned to Arminia, so hopefully this window, he'll have a few more suitors who are willing to take him out on loan. I think he's proven this season that he's improved on a lot of what made it hard to keep him in games in the championship, so hopefully that's where he ends up.