Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

6 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

TD Place...just the overall look of it...I am surprised they were rejected as a 2026 stadium...it just looks so damn awesome

Fifa regulations require a potential stadium to hold at least 40,000 for a World Cup. Unfortunately TD Place doesn't have anywhere to add temporary stands. Even BMO Field in Toronto plans on adding 15000 capacity to make it to FIFA specs for 2026, which is why it's in play (haha) for use.

17 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

TD Place...just the overall look of it...I am surprised they were rejected as a 2026 stadium...it just looks so damn awesome

You should read the comments on that Neufville interview, think it is, many posters hate the stadium, they ridicule it. No end zone areas. 

It is a Canadian football stadium and not a soccer stadium, say what you like.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You should read the comments on that Neufville interview, think it is, many posters hate the stadium, they ridicule it. No end zone areas. 

It is a Canadian football stadium and not a soccer stadium, say what you like.

As a multi-team season ticket holder at TD Place the opinion in Ottawa is generally positive. The negative comments on this forum, especially in respect to the Fury era, come from those who've either never been to TD Place or don't even live in Ottawa. 

I've been to TD Place 5 or 6 times either for soccer or CFL games and find it to be a nice stadium. Restaurants all around ( although mostly full on game days if you're not there early enough), in stadium concessions are good. Overall I give it a good grade.

11 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

As a multi-team season ticket holder at TD Place the opinion in Ottawa is generally positive. The negative comments on this forum, especially in respect to the Fury era, come from those who've either never been to TD Place or don't even live in Ottawa. 

47 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I've been to TD Place 5 or 6 times either for soccer or CFL games and find it to be a nice stadium. Restaurants all around ( although mostly full on game days if you're not there early enough), in stadium concessions are good. Overall I give it a good grade.

I'm sure that it's a lovely place to watch sports on a nice, summer evening. However, what's the deal with building stadiums with, at most, only one end zone closed off? TD Place, THF, most of the new MLS stadiums....

2 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm sure that it's a lovely place to watch sports on a nice, summer evening. However, what's the deal with building stadiums with, at most, only one end zone closed off? TD Place, THF, most of the new MLS stadiums....

At TD Place it was to protect the view of the lawn, the Canal and the Aberdeen Pavilion. It also allowed them the flexibility to add temporary seating for big events but not have them permanently empty for RedBlacks games.

8 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

At TD Place it was to protect the view of the lawn, the Canal and the Aberdeen Pavilion. It also allowed them the flexibility to add temporary seating for big events but not have them permanently empty for RedBlacks games.

I'm not a fan either but yah it's for expanded seating 

Edited by SpursFlu

45 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Have you been to TD Place?

I have once. I really liked it. The entire area around the stadium is really cool

I wasnt saying I dont like TDPlace. I'm saying the concept of leaving that empty end zone yet practical, I'm not such a fan. I think a fully enclosed 360 creates a better environment 

But TD Place and Ottawa gets a thumbs up from me. Visited for the 1st time last year. Really enjoyed

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

However, what's the deal with building stadiums with, at most, only one end zone closed off? TD Place, THF, most of the new MLS stadiums....

I assume you mean in Canada (and only BMO Field, really), because most MLS stadiums (new or not) are fully enclosed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Soccer_stadiums

CFL field dimensions really screw things up in terms of fully enclosing venues that are also to be used for other sports.

5 hours ago, RS said:

I assume you mean in Canada (and only BMO Field, really), because most MLS stadiums (new or not) are fully enclosed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Soccer_stadiums

CFL field dimensions really screw things up in terms of fully enclosing venues that are also to be used for other sports.

I was including US, as well. I've seen plenty of U-shaped MLS stadiums.

14 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

From that list, 4 out of the current 26 venues could be considered U-shaped.

The open end zone thing is really a Canadian phenomenon, because of the absurd CFL field dimensions.

22 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The only U shaped MLS stadium is San Jose’s new stadium but it’s a fully enclosed U shape left open on one side to hopefully fill in the other end if need be , oh ya the other one being that joke of a Stadium BMO Field where I’m forced to spend time in as a TFC season ticket holder if I want to watch TFC play in person . Look I’m very biased there is nothing like watching a game in a fully enclosed stadium in terms of atmosphere. I’m sure the surroundings are nice around Ottawa’s stadium and the concessions areas are great but like BMO Field and Tim Hortons field it’s basically the old CFL 1970’s two big grandstands facing each other stadiums . Hopefully one day maybe the CPL gets big enough and every team has a nice 10000 seat stadium that are more or less fully enclosed I guess in the mean time it is what it is .