Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Mitrović_(footballer,_born_2002)

I dunno if this was mentioned before, but apparently he attended the CPL open tryouts in 2018 and was not noticed. Goes to show how difficult it can be to scout players sometimes. It may also show that sometimes players just need a platform so they can blossom. It could have been that he simply was not impressive during the trials, but that does not mean there is not a player there, obviously.

The bolded may be a little harsh Obinna.  In his interview, he stated he received a lot of questions/interest/feedback from some teams during his trial, but at the end of the day, was not offered a contract.

By the way, in his interview he also stated that he and Corbeanu grew up together and were really good buddies.  They regularly keep in touch.  No coincidence they both committed to Canada around the same time.

45 minutes ago, Ivan said:

The bolded may be a little harsh Obinna.  In his interview, he stated he received a lot of questions/interest/feedback from some teams during his trial, but at the end of the day, was not offered a contract.

By the way, in his interview he also stated that he and Corbeanu grew up together and were really good buddies.  They regularly keep in touch.  No coincidence they both committed to Canada around the same time.

Just going by what the wiki entry says. It actually says not approached by any club, which is what I meant, but I was hasty in my post. Did not mean to come out as overly critical. 

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Mitrović_(footballer,_born_2002)

I dunno if this was mentioned before, but apparently he attended the CPL open tryouts in 2018 and was not noticed. Goes to show how difficult it can be to scout players sometimes. It may also show that sometimes players just need a platform so they can blossom. It could have been that he simply was not impressive during the trials, but that does not mean there is not a player there, obviously.

It was discussed earlier on this thread back in June.  Scroll back to Page 1 for a few mentions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

BS - they just have a convenient cover to cancel the game. Disappointing

1 hour ago, hamiltonfan said:

Good for him, great experience. With our youth programs and really all programs going on hiatus for the year I’m fully supportive of this decision.

I believe his dad posts on these forums, or is quite active on Twitter promoting his son but also with the Canadian soccer Twitter scene. 

Yeah I figure the ultimate goal is Canada but if Serbia is gonna give you youth games, and Canada isn't doing anything, why not?

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 11:50 AM, jordan said:

It seems like it was just some kind of ID camp/training for their U19 players because official UEFA games had been cancelled. 

https://fss.rs/u19-na-okupu-nova-takmicarska-generacija-omladinaca-selektor-igor-spasic-pozvao-27-igraca-na-mini-pripreme/

Since no official matches had been played he can play for Canada without filing a one time switch. We can call him up in January.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 3 weeks later...

Highlights Stefan's Dad posted on Twitter.  Nice mix of size and physicality, has really filled out from pics I saw posted when he was 16 in the Open Trials.  If this January camp is a big one I hope we call him, should be added to Olympic candidates as well.

For everyone who thinks Europe is all glamour though have a look at some of those fields!

• 4 weeks later...