Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

6 hours ago, red card said:

Herdman name dropped Rutty in his latest onesoccer tête-à-tête. Only other Olympic players he mentioned were Buchanan & Prisio.

But in age group tourneys, older players tend to dominate even if they're less talented than a 16 yr old. So if Rutty makes the team, then we know he is our next generational talent. 

I’d imagine he will make it and start if they’re name dropping like that. Same deal with Priso and Buchanan, tbh Priso and Baldisimo impressed me more that Fraser, not saying Fraser is bad but I’m not going to be surprised if he’s not there or not starting and if Priso does. I think the sky is the limit for that Priso boy. 

24 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I’d imagine he will make it and start if they’re name dropping like that. Same deal with Priso and Buchanan, tbh Priso and Baldisimo impressed me more that Fraser, not saying Fraser is bad but I’m not going to be surprised if he’s not there or not starting and if Priso does. I think the sky is the limit for that Priso boy. 

I thought this only because Fraser wasn't available in January due to injury....but he's back in training with TFC so he will most definitely be in this team.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:03 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

In other news, I hope that "Flocon de neige Montréal" doesn't get a new coach for a few weeks, and so all the players Biello wants for OQ remain available.  :D

Other than ZBG, and Pantemis - who else do you think has got a shot for this team?

32 minutes ago, narduch said:

The US have a 31 player camp already in Mexico. They will need to eventually cut it down to 23 20.

FYP.

I wish we could think about doing this.  It's the little proactive stuff that makes the difference. We consistently lack this in our program...and money shouldn't** be the excuse. 

Edited by Shway

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

FYP.

I wish we could think about doing this.  It's the little proactive stuff that makes the difference. We consistently lack this in our program...and money should be the excuse. 

Precisely my thoughts. The excuse this time will be that we are waiting on senior team commitments before finalizing our roster and sending them down, but there's always something, isn't there? 

If you want to be the best, you have to find a way.  

Good on the US for doing that.  But that’s because they are able to do that, financially.

Frankly, I’m not that bothered about a training camp for the Olympics; maybe cause I’m not bothered about the Olympics (or a watered down Games due to Covid).  Still am skeptical on whether the games even take place.

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

Which one? 

Atlanta United is not releasing any of their players: M Robinson, Bello & Lennon. Not sure why ussoccer included them.

US has done these long camps before Olympic qualifying. And they haven't made it. I think a camp like this can be too long especially if no friendlies are played. Players also need a break before the tourney starts. 

I listened to the Galindo-Nef podcast and they talked about Dias. Apparently he’s on Portugal’s radar but there’s like 60 kids or so on that radar. He is however highly rated by Sporting’s first team, and is doing well with the U-23’s. I don’t think the risk of losing him is real until he performs at high level in a big 5 league or with Sporting.

oh and they compare him ( I think Galindo) to Bruno Fernandes... nice comparison.

also I want to add they mention Flores briefly, they say it’s hard to get noticed by that FA and they don’t just give out chances just like that and a lot of kids don’t get that shot. It seems like the odds are that Flores will be green.

Edited by Dominic94

3 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Not too excited as I'd like to see players with pro-minutes make the team and not so much potentials. 

I think he played quite a bit with Lille II in 3rd or 4th division in France a couple of years back and he was definitely on the bench at Cercle Brugge a few times (not sure if he saw action) in the top league in Belgium last year....plus I don't think Montreal signed him not to give him minutes so I suspect he will get his opportunities in MLS this year

47 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I was hugely impressed with Bassong for Canada. He was nailed in for me for top 3 fullbacks to take to the olympics from that provisional list. Seems a no brainer.

This. He was impressive playing for LB and RB in the 2020 January Camp. He's definitely one of the better LB's we have, it was just a blessing when C. Gutiérrez committed to the program as well - who I think will also be there.

Our fullback depth chart looks like this for:
Laryea,  ZBG, Johnston, Cordova
Adekugbe, Gutiérrez, Bassong