Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

1 minute ago, Shway said:

In all seriousness, I think he's made his decision and this is a clear sign. Him not being listed at all on their roster is a clear indication. I obviously could be pathetically wrong, but again it doesn't make any sense as to why they would leave him off. 

Again though - that only makes sense if he was vying for an Olympic spot.  If he is in contention for a senior squad spot (for either country) his absence is no different than any of the other high quality U23 omissions.  

And I think he will get a senior call up, which is why we should send him one at the earliest opportunity - even if it means dropping someone else off the list who is battling it out.  The reality is that we may be using an NA-based team, so all the more reason to try and get him ASAP.   

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agree with this take. My read on Halbouni is that he probably has some developing to do. I liked what I saw in some clips, but he only recently started playing reserve ball with Bremen. That he even got a senior call was kind of a surprise to me, but that's what it's all about, seeing where guys are in their development. It is good for him that he got a look, but he never seemed to prominently feature in the very limited clips of camp we saw. If I had to bet, I would say he will not be with the senior team, and is better served staying at Bremen and learning instead of heading to the Olympic team. 

My very short comment on Cornelius is that with 13 senior caps the coaching staff may see this as an opportunity to grow his leadership and give the young group his relatively big international experience. That and the fact that Miller is probably slightly ahead of him now when it comes to the senior picture. 

Exactly how I feel on Halbouni. However I do love the fact that we are "turning over every stone".

I agree with Cornelius, reality is he's definitely starter worthy but Herdman rates Miller atm. So he'll likely start in the LCB position come March. Also with the emerging Kennedy who more than likely wouldn't be released for the Olympic qualifiers, the coaching staff will finally get there look. 

I've been saying that the coaching staff needs to be strategic in building this team, and as it looks right now they have made all the right moves.

Turning over every stone!  We have a big year, and every player possible needs to be evaluated. 

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Again though - that only makes sense if he was vying for an Olympic spot.  If he is in contention for a senior squad spot (for either country) his absence is no different than any of the other high quality U23 omissions.  

And I think he will get a senior call up, which is why we should send him one at the earliest opportunity - even if it means dropping someone else off the list who is battling it out.  The reality is that we may be using an NA-based team, so all the more reason to try and get him ASAP.   

I disagree. I say of course he was vying for an Olympic spot. The US aren't playing any "significant" games in March, and a lot of their U23 eligible guys are playing "elite ball/in season" so he definitely would be in the top 2 for available strikers. 

But they didn't list him. Look at their December and January squads. There's no explanation as to why he is left off.

HOWEVER,  I just realized the US have only listed 48 of 50 spots.

14 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

my understanding is unless Dias has not played in a relatively official (not sure if it’s uefa at that level, I’d imagine) competition for Portugal, he has filed a one time switch to play for us or he intends to. 

i

I can't find any evidence that he ever played a minute for Portugal.

Nor for that matter that he's close to the first team or a "wonderkid" either.

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

If Harry Paton is in the squad, I will be quite surprised - he's a mainstay in the Ross County squad. 
Also this is a 20 man squad.

It’s actually a 22 man squad, the 23rd being the 3rd keeper. 11 players in a starting lineup and there is 2 lineups

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This has to be the assumption. Why wouldn't he be? I don't see anything to suggest he's above and beyond the other Olympic forward options.

Just now, jordan said:

I like that, though i would have Harry ahead of Okello. 

I said before, Harry aint going to be there. No way he leaves. He's played in 28 of 29 games for Ross County, amassing nearly 2000 minutes. 

I will be shocked if he's released, considering his team is battling relegation. 

2 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

It’s actually a 22 man squad, the 23rd being the 3rd keeper. 11 players in a starting lineup and there is 2 lineups

Where did you make that up brother lol

Just now, Shway said:

I said before, Harry aint going to be there. No way he leaves. He's played in 28 of 29 games for Ross County, amassing nearly 2000 minutes. 

I will be shocked if he's released, considering his team is battling relegation. 

i edited the post after, I didn't see your comment until after i hit send. 

A couple thoughts since so much has happened today in this thread it’s hard to catch up:

Ayo being in neither squad is probably good for us, since our Sr team has competitive matches in March and the USA don’t. Also, it’s not like they’re playing Brazil or some super attractive team (not right now at least). Never know though.

Dias played a friendly with the U16 Portugal team it looks like, which I don’t think requires a one time switch. If I’m not mistaken, you only need a one time switch if you’ve played a competitive youth match or a Sr friendly.

The squad looks pretty strong overall, hopefully it is good enough to pull an upset. Seems a bit weak at striker from some of the mock lineups I’ve seen on this thread, but we have plenty of wingers that could be used up top as well. 

4 minutes ago, archer21 said:

A couple thoughts since so much has happened today in this thread it’s hard to catch up:

Ayo being in neither squad is probably good for us, since our Sr team has competitive matches in March and the USA don’t. Also, it’s not like they’re playing Brazil or some super attractive team (not right now at least). Never know though.

Dias played a friendly with the U16 Portugal team it looks like, which I don’t think requires a one time switch. If I’m not mistaken, you only need a one time switch if you’ve played a competitive youth match or a Sr friendly.

The squad looks pretty strong overall, hopefully it is good enough to pull an upset. Seems a bit weak at striker from some of the mock lineups I’ve seen on this thread, but we have plenty of wingers that could be used up top as well. 

It does look like he’s only played for them once. He does however seem to be rated, it’s a noteworthy acquisition. 

still surprised we didn’t call Colyn but with Him, Dias and Flores and maybe Ferdi someday, the #10 is looking nice in the future.

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This has to be the assumption. Why wouldn't he be? I don't see anything to suggest he's above and beyond the other Olympic forward options.

I guess I am just thinking that he would wait for a senior call up.  

Accepting an Olympic call up from us would preclude him from joining us within the senior squad and would close the door on his US ambitions. Maybe it would make sense to play on the US Olympic squad if he fully intended to commit to the US senior team, but if he is actually still deciding then accepting their call up would prevent him from joining our senior squad. 

Maybe I am missing something (wouldn’t be unheard of) but I don’t see a lot of reason to accept and Olympic call from either team unless he is totally settled on the US pathway.  

EDIT:  just saw the injury post.   That pretty much eliminates the need for overthinking this.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I see some people on reddit suggesting the preliminary rosters are not binding. News to me if true...

Well... here's the rules:

No later than 10 days prior to the start of the competition, the Member Associations will need to confirm their final 20-player roster (at this point the provisional list will also become binding).  

After the final lists have been submitted, changes will only be allowed in the event of force majeure or injury. Any changes made must be prior to 24 hours before each team’s first match. Additionally, the replacement must come from the binding preliminary lists.  Such replacements must be approved by FIFA and Concacaf. 

So the preliminary rosters are binding March 8th (in two weeks)