Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I like our roster, some intriguing prospects.

US and Mexico will be full top to bottom of players who are seasoned pros with often more than 50 Liga MX or MLS games at a young age.  

Can we beat either one in a single game?  Sure, its possible, maybe more possible in this cycle than any other.  But the US and Mexico in terms of experienced u23 talent are still very much in a tier of their own for now.

FWIW Transfermarkt valuations of 50 man rosters:

Mexico - 149.38 million

US - 93.39 million

Canada - 18.62 million

Take what you want from it but clearly we are still much closer to Costa Rica in the way the world values our talent than to US and Mexico.

If we do beat either it will be a massive achievement for this roster.

Fair point but it’s a little Flawed and some over under valued payers.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Fair point but it’s a little Flawed and some over under valued payers.

It's very flawed, but even if you made some adjustments the valuations still pretty far apart.  I just meant to show both the Mexican and US sides are full of solid pros and very strong prospects despite the US missing pieces and Mexico not having a lot of players in Europe

Our roster is at least two levels below mexico and US. I don’t see the point of pretending otherwise. Can we theoretically beat them in a knock out game? Sure, anything can happen and I’ll be rooting for it. I certainly won’t be reasonably expecting it though.

edit: I will say that St.Clair is as good or better than any other keeper there and that could make all the difference in one match 

Edited by Floortom

Alright up until the roster is released I will release a mock roster everyday, I will factor in the confirmed players, the roster info we have, and their playing time/level/etc. 

I will try to think like herdman/Biello

GK’s

Nogeueria 

Breza 

St.Clair 

best goalie available, we take him. Breza has been training hard and is in from, and Nogeueria same deal. Curcija and Hasal are young enough for the next cycle and will return in 2 years and in all likelihood start. Freak accidents happen so we take 3 goalies, but maybe 2 is enough.

FB

Bassong 

ZBG

Guti  

i went for guys who were training or playing ,there’s some serious talent at FB and these guys are versatile. I believe ZBG can be used as a RCB ? I wanted to take a Can PL guy like Chung or Farsi but it’s been way too long since they’ve played and that will be a common theme here. I’m very high on Bassong and I think he will make a name for himself here. 

CB

Frank Sturing 

Derek Cornelius 

Rocco Romeo

Callum Montgomery

i think the first 2 will finish the tourney as the starting CB’s, but Romeo is in form right now and playing and that’s too hard to ignore I would be shocked if he’s not on the roster. I wanted to take TMG and this may change tmrw but again Montgomery’s season didn’t end in August, Karifa Yao was tough to leave out. It conceivable we only carry 7 defenders, today we’ll carry 8.

CM/CAM

Baldisimo

Okello

Dias

Ben Paton

I rate Baldisimo highly, and his passing range is too hard to pass up. We know Dias made it and as for Paton quite frankly he’s in form, playing a good level and i think it’s just not going to be possible for Fraser and co to match that right now. The other Paton could be in the mix. Some may argue Fraser over Baldisimo but again that passing ability.

W

Rutty

Corbeanu 

Buchanan 

Shaffleburg 

I think that Rutty is that good and this will be his coming out party, TFC has been training for a month and I know both of their boys made an impression with the men’s team. Buchanan’s versatility on the Left and Right back made him too hard to passs up. Perhaps a Ballou or Nelson could be slotted in instead of Shaffleburg based o their ability to play left and 10, but there’s talk of Rutty doing that. Versatility and being in shape gives the TFC boys the edge this time.

FWD

Brym

Simpson

i struggled with the second striker here and I think this might actually be the hardest debated position on the roster. Brym again has seen time in Belgium and is training at a level higher than anyone on this roster. I think he’s a lock to play and start and he may be the best striker there, or one of. I took Simpson because he’s playing, but I’m not sure how I’ll feel about it tmrw.

id lineup like this is a 4-3-3

St.Clair

Bassong-Sturing-Romeo-ZBG

Baldisimo-Okello

Dias

Rutty-Brym-Corbeanu

bench

Breza

nogueira

cornelius 

montgormery 

paton

simpson

shaffleburg 

Buchanan

Guti

really hard to pick the team and harder the 11, some really good depth and players here. Took the older ones if there was a tie, reality is Peruzza could come back next cycle and may be the guy.

Edit 1 Harry Paton should be there not Ben I got confused with them. I thought Ben was in Scotland. 

edit 2 by in form I mean a player who’s training and in match shape regardless of games played, a player who’s been training with their first 2 all year is in form for the basis of this exercise.

Edited by Dominic94

21 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Alright up until the roster is released I will release a mock roster everyday, I will factor in the confirmed players, the roster info we have, and their playing time/level/etc. 

I will try to think like herdman/Biello

GK’s

Nogeueria 

Breza 

St.Clair 

best goalie available, we take him. Breza has been training hard and is in from, and Nogeueria same deal. Curcija and Hasal are young enough for the next cycle and will return in 2 years and in all likelihood start. Freak accidents happen so we take 3 goalies, but maybe 2 is enough.

FB

Bassong 

ZBG

Guti  

i went for guys who were training or playing ,there’s some serious talent at FB and these guys are versatile. I believe ZBG can be used as a RCB ? I wanted to take a Can PL guy like Chung or Farsi but it’s been way too long since they’ve played and that will be a common theme here. I’m very high on Bassong and I think he will make a name for himself here. 

CB

Frank Sturing 

Derek Cornelius 

Rocco Romeo

Callum Montgomery

i think the first 2 will finish the tourney as the starting CB’s, but Romeo is in form right now and playing and that’s too hard to ignore I would be shocked if he’s not on the roster. I wanted to take TMG and this may change tmrw but again Montgomery’s season didn’t end in August, Karifa Yao was tough to leave out. It conceivable we only carry 7 defenders, today we’ll carry 8.

CM/CAM

Baldisimo

Okello

Dias

Ben Paton

I rate Baldisimo highly, and his passing range is too hard to pass up. We know Dias made it and as for Paton quite frankly he’s in form, playing a good level and i think it’s just not going to be possible for Fraser and co to match that right now. The other Paton could be in the mix. Some may argue Fraser over Baldisimo but again that passing ability.

W

Rutty

Corbeanu 

Buchanan 

Shaffleburg 

I think that Rutty is that good and this will be his coming out party, TFC has been training for a month and I know both of their boys made an impression with the men’s team. Buchanan’s versatility on the Left and Right back made him too hard to passs up. Perhaps a Ballou or Nelson could be slotted in instead of Shaffleburg based o their ability to play left and 10, but there’s talk of Rutty doing that. Versatility and being in shape gives the TFC boys the edge this time.

FWD

Brym

Simpson

i struggled with the second striker here and I think this might actually be the hardest debated position on the roster. Brym again has seen time in Belgium and is training at a level higher than anyone on this roster. I think he’s a lock to play and start and he may be the best striker there, or one of. I took Simpson because he’s playing, but I’m not sure how I’ll feel about it tmrw.

id lineup like this is a 4-3-3

St.Clair

Bassong-Sturing-Romeo-ZBG

Baldisimo-Okello

Dias

Rutty-Brym-Corbeanu

bench

Breza

nogueira

cornelius 

montgormery 

paton

simpson

shaffleburg 

Buchanan

Guti

really hard to pick the team and harder the 11, some really good depth and players here. Took the older ones if there was a tie, reality is Peruzza could come back next cycle and may be the guy.

How would you know how Breza is training hard and is in form?  Not a knock, I’m curious how we can form these opinions when there is nothing to even go by.  When was the last time he played a match of any sort?  

Problem of our national team at every level is CB.  I’d argue none of those listed other than Cornelius is good enough.  I agree with @Floortom, we just are not at the same level of US/Mexico.  They have serious depth at every position with a large sample size of experience as well.  Anything can happen though.  

17 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I’m surprised you pick Ben over Harry who’s been a starting in the SPL and playing really well, there’s even talks of him going to a bigger club/league 

I confused them as I picked them out, my apologies there.

I’m curious what’s gonna happen with Ballou. This tourney could be his redemption. He’s talented could be a game changer. 

You got Rutty and Nelson who are young guns , who don’t have much experience and maybe they are rushed and you got shaffleburg ( who I don’t think is very good and should be a left off this team, that’s my view). 
Like Borges (CPL Moses, I do think the CPL and One Soccer is pumping him way too much, yes they need stars I get it but come on it’s alittle crazy right now)was left off. If He was left off why is Shaffleburg there ? 

Edited by SpecialK

51 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

How would you know how Breza is training hard and is in form?  Not a knock, I’m curious how we can form these opinions when there is nothing to even go by.  When was the last time he played a match of any sort?  

Problem of our national team at every level is CB.  I’d argue none of those listed other than Cornelius is good enough.  I agree with @Floortom, we just are not at the same level of US/Mexico.  They have serious depth at every position with a large sample size of experience as well.  Anything can happen though.  

While CB is a major weakness name wise, I’m not going to discount Sturing and I’d like to see Romeo before saying he’s not good enough.

when I see the USA I see a talented team yes, but I also see some seriously overhyped prospects who haven’t done all that much recently or even at all. It’s not like they’re drawing a ton of guys from Europe either.  

3 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I’m curious what’s gonna happen with Ballou. This tourney could be his redemption. He’s talented could be a game changer. 

You got Rutty and Nelson who are young guns , who don’t have much experience and maybe they are rushed and you got shaffleburg ( who I don’t think is very good and should be a left off this team, that’s my view). 
Like Borges (CPL Moses, I do think the CPL pumping him way too much, yes they need stars I get it but come on it’s alittle crazy right now)was left off. If He was left off why is Shaffleburg there ? 

I had a hard time leaving Ballou off he’s got all the tools he can be a 10 and had some promise there. In terms of raw talent he’s arguably one of the best in the tourney in terms of who’s been named by man has be left a world to be desired

i actually really like Shaffleburg and I think he would have helped TFC more if they’d of played him. Signing with HFX for 2 years would have helped him more than being with TFC imo.

Midfield is a hard area to judge. Pretty stacked. Fair chance rutty misses out. The january call likely says otherwise though.

I don't expect us to qualify and I think most people likely feel the same which should take some pressure of the squad. Certainly if we get the strongest players we have the ability. Just a tall ask when many of the players have never met the coach or each other.

14 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Midfield is a hard area to judge. Pretty stacked. Fair chance rutty misses out. The january call likely says otherwise though.

I don't expect us to qualify and I think most people likely feel the same which should take some pressure of the squad. Certainly if we get the strongest players we have the ability. Just a tall ask when many of the players have never met the coach or each other.

I feel like Herdman gave it away that he would and given the comments that came from Armas seems like he’s a stand out with his own team.

fair points but I’m setting the bar high, I feel the Americans overhype their own and it’s not like they aren’t missing guys. I don’t see why our current group can’t take them. The real Olympics is a different story.

27 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I feel like Herdman gave it away that he would and given the comments that came from Armas seems like he’s a stand out with his own team.

fair points but I’m setting the bar high, I feel the Americans overhype their own and it’s not like they aren’t missing guys. I don’t see why our current group can’t take them. The real Olympics is a different story.

Agree 100% about Americans over hyping their players... but even with them missing many players, those named to the Olympic roster all come with major game-time/experience at the MLS level or abroad.  HUGE difference in comparison to our Canadian boys.  Most of our boys that will be in the side will have little (or far less apps) 1st team minutes at a level similar to those of USA/Mexico.  This makes a big difference.  CPL will be a great asset for young players but we need players playing at a MUCH higher level than that or even leagues like SPL, Danish 2nd tier etc.

36 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Agree 100% about Americans over hyping their players... but even with them missing many players, those named to the Olympic roster all come with major game-time/experience at the MLS level or abroad.  HUGE difference in comparison to our Canadian boys.  Most of our boys that will be in the side will have little (or far less apps) 1st team minutes at a level similar to those of USA/Mexico.  This makes a big difference.  CPL will be a great asset for young players but we need players playing at a MUCH higher level than that or even leagues like SPL, Danish 2nd tier etc.

I agree with you, and having a strict government hurts. This is really the 1.0 group no matter how we look at it. It’s the first real croup of kids who grew up with actual proper soccer development and a semblance of a pathway. Our next crop in 2 years time is going to look really really nice, and agreed they need a higher level and I think the Can PL will slowly get there. It takes time forsure, but I don’t see why they don’t surpass USL Champ if they haven’t already, we know they want to raise the bar and I know I complain and we’ve lost big names but believe the league caliber has improved year to year and I think it’s slightly above overall.

I will say that the SPL is pretty solid and same for league 1 (England) not a bad place for kids to be playing and heck same deal with Danish first tier if we could of had someone there. Also some of the American players played USL, but I digress. Slowly but surely, I think in 2 years this same group is gonna look a whole lot better and the 2003’s will only be 20, heck out 04’s which look great are going to be 19. And our 2001’s will still be eligible lol, with plenty of that needed experience.