Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I guess I am just thinking that he would wait for a senior call up.  

Accepting an Olympic call up from us would preclude him from joining us within the senior squad and would close the door on his US ambitions. Maybe it would make sense to play on the US Olympic squad if he fully intended to commit to the US senior team, but if he is actually still deciding then accepting their call up would prevent him from joining our senior squad. 

Maybe I am missing something (wouldn’t be unheard of) but I don’t see a lot of reason to accept and Olympic call from either team unless he is totally settled on the US pathway.  

He could play on the US Olympic squad without fully committing to the USA senior team. There's really no urgency for him to file a one-time switch to Canada because we haven't even qualified for the final round of WCQ yet. Remember, we could be completely out of it even before Gold Cup rolls around.

The most likely reason he isn't listed is perhaps that he's injured, so it's all probably moot anyways. 

Like his roster, a few notables missing but some great names on the list the two Line ups @N1ckbr0wn posted are pretty strong. 

I don't however think we will see many of the Europeans making it over. Hope I am wrong but think it is wishful thinking. We will still be reasonably competitive with just the N.American players imo. Ton of pressure on the strikers though. I think the Defence and Midfield will be ok. Going to come down to whether we can make the chances and then be clinical in front of goal.  We don't really have anyone firing on all cylinders as a major goal scorer, promise, potential but no goal bonanza at the top level. 

Removed from the 2020 Preliminary Roster:

Boakye, Borges, Boskovic, M. Choiniere, Kinumbe, Kouzine, Legault, Millar, Miller, Mohammed, Zanatta, Le Bourhis.

Added to 2021 Preliminary Roster:

Corbeneau, M. Baldisimo, D. Choiniere, Marshall-Rutty, Curcija, Dias, C. Gutierrez, B. Paton, C. N'Sa, Priso, S. Simpson, Farsi.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

I think we’re going to be very strong in the center of the pitch, and on the wings. The 10 spot could be a revelation if Dias shows up and is as good as I think.

our goalkeeping is probably the best in the tournament overall and top end. We’re leaving out potentially a Serie A 3rd string, an MLS guy who is a backup, or a 3rd string in Ligue 1 ? If that’s not depth then what is.

I think Bair will do well and Peruzza is underrated, I like our attack a lot, maybe it’s not sexy but I think we’ll surprise.

If Ballou puts it together and starts, I imagine opposing defenders will be throwing fits against us. Between he and Corbeanu, and then Nelsen and Buchanan off the bench or something like it, tough decisions lie ahead for Biello.

The CB spot is ok, looks a little thin, but our fullbacks are strong and don’t sleep on the Can PL guys. 

overall on the right side we’re going to smash teams, I’m not sure the US will have Reynolds, but even then this isn’t going to be sneezed at by anyone.

Farsi will push Bassong on the left, and the LW/LM spot will be interesting. Shaffleburg apparently made a strong impression but man is there some serious competition.

We have the clear #3 in this tourney and the dark horse to win it, I don’t think it would be right for the US or Mexico to take us lightly. While they are favourites im very sure both would love to avoid us. Biello has depth and options everywhere, the CB’s look shallow but this is a good team. We might actually qualify.

The ones who got called in 2020 and forgotten now:

- Gabriel Boakye
- Tristan Borges
- Robert Boskovic
- Mathieu Chionière
- Daniel Kinumbe
- Aramis Kouzine
- Émile Legault
- Liam Millar
- Kamal Miller
- Terique Mohammed
- Dario Zanatta
- Yohan Le Bourhis

Sure sucks to be Borges right now. He has to come back to CPL this year right?

He must have had some hope that at least he might get some playing minutes with this. I don't think Biello/Herdman and co. are necessarily wrong for omitting him, in fact I imagine Dias might have straight taken his spot, which would be another potential sign he will make the final cut, be there and commit to Canada. Yep complete 2+2=5 speculation! 

10 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Sure sucks to be Borges right now. He has to come back to CPL this year right?

He must have had some hope that at least he might get some playing minutes with this. I don't think Biello/Herdman and co. are necessarily wrong for omitting him, in fact I imagine Dias might have straight taken his spot, which would be another potential sign he will make the final cut, be there and commit to Canada. Yep complete 2+2=5 speculation! 

Obviously he just has not done well to impress his team over there. However, really this is an age group tournament so you also want to make sure you have a good selection of older age players. Don’t underestimate how a team with more experience and a bit older might be the difference in the end. Yes you want the best available players but you also don’t want to go too young and for example play a team just for example sake like a Honduras who may be stacked with 98’s and Canada going with a lot of 2001 or something. Like I said age sometimes makes a difference in these age type tournaments. Therefore, yes this Diaz maybe talented but he is only a 2003 , in a big game sometimes you need more of the older guys to get you over the top. Let’s hope a good balance in age is on the final roster.

59 minutes ago, Dicdan said:

Steffen Yeates

Benson Fazili

Adonijah Reid

Levi Andoh

Salvatore Marrone

Olivier Saundry

what u think about these missing ones?

Andoh is not Canadian

Saundry has been out of the game for a while, though was rumoured to be heading back to Denmark, whether for personal or football I am unsure. 

Just to make it very visually clear for all those who are curious, the 50-man provisional squad has had 12 changes:

The new names for 2021:
Michael Baldisimo
David Choinière
Theo Corbeanu
Nikola Curcija
Mohamed Farsi
Lucas Dias
Cristián Gutiérrez
Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty
Chrisnovic N'sa 
Ben Paton
Ralph Priso
Steven Simpson

Those who made it in 2020 but got cut for 2021:
Robert Boskovic
Yohan Le Bourhis
Kamal Miller
Gabriel Boakye
Daniel Kinumbe
Émile Legault
Terique Mohammed
Tristan Borges
Mathieu Choinière
Aramis Kouzine
Liam Millar
Dario Zanatta

Of course there are several names that were eligible back in 2020 but never made the list (injury, senior team etc)

-We kept all 5 GK's but added a 6th (and therefore cut a non-GK)
-We cut Mathieu for David (on a fait un autre Choinière :D )
-Zanatta's prospects don't look as good now as they did one year ago
-Cristián Gutiérrez one-time-switch came through so we had to cut someone (it looks like he took Daniel Kinumbe's spot at LB?)
-Millar & Miller look like they are headed to the senior team
-Alistair Johnston & Scott Kennedy(perhaps) seems to have gone straight from not even making the list last year to a senior team role in March

EDIT:

3 hours ago, Dicdan said:

The ones who got called in 2020 and forgotten now:

Good work on the list @Dicdan !

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Campbell would have been the last of the three I'd have chosen. He had a poor 2020, while Chung and TMG were very solid.

I agree. But it's the guys ahead of them {not named) that had solid seasons. Farsi, Abzi, and NS'a to name a few.
Not many U23 eligible strikers had noticeable seasons. 

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

I agree. But it's the guys ahead of them {not named) that had solid seasons. Farsi, Abzi, and NS'a to name a few.
Not many U23 eligible strikers had noticeable seasons. 

My comment was specific to swapping 3 players in a particular lineup. I'm not sure where we're headed now

13 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

My comment was specific to swapping 3 players in a particular lineup. I'm not sure where we're headed now

1. Dunn>TMG - Dunn had the better season 
2. Farsi>Chung - Farsi U21 player of the season (and he was better than Chung)
3. Campbell=Ongaro - is the only toss up conversation for me. Campbell had a very quiet 2020, while so did Easton.

last of three point

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is it just me, or does "we believe" sound like "we assume he is being honest and not just dodging us because he is less than committed"?

I absolutely read it as.. "we believe, we havent heard from him, he won't pick up the phone, but we think it's alright. Yeah totally alright. I just get a message saying he is on a zoom call all the time"

They no nothing! He's staying home, he's staying, he's staying Ayo's staying home!

Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Just to make it very visually clear for all those who are curious, the 50-man provisional squad has had 13 changes:

The new names for 2021:
Michael Baldisimo
David Choinière
Theo Corbeanu
Nikola Curcija
Mohamed Farsi
Lucas Dias
Cristián Gutiérrez
Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty
Chrisnovic N'sa 
Ben Paton

Jordan Perruzza
Ralph Priso
Steven Simpson

Those who made it in 2020 but got cut for 2021:
Robert Boskovic
Yohan Le Bourhis
Kamal Miller
Gabriel Boakye
Daniel Kinumbe
Émile Legault
Terique Mohammed
Tristan Borges
Mathieu Choinière
Aramis Kouzine
Liam Millar

Jordan Perruzza
Dario Zanatta

Of course there are several names that were eligible back in 2020 but never made the list (injury, senior team etc)

-We kept all 5 GK's but added a 6th (and therefore cut a non-GK)
-We cut Mathieu for David (on a fait un autre Choinière :D )
-Zanatta's prospects don't look as good now as they did one year ago
-Cristián Gutiérrez one-time-switch came through so we had to cut someone (it looks like he took Daniel Kinumbe's spot at LB?)
-Millar & Miller look like they are headed to the senior team
-Alistair Johnston & Scott Kennedy(perhaps) seems to have gone straight from not even making the list last year to a senior team role in March

EDIT:

Good work on the list @Dicdan . You only missed one name: Jordan Perruzza, who got very few minutes in 2020. Sad for him but a logical cut from the roster I think.

From what I can see Perruzza was on the 2020 list and is still on the 2021 list, you have him both out and in😎

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

1. Dunn>TMG - Dunn had the better season 
2. Farsi>Chung - Farsi U21 player of the season (and he was better than Chung)
3. Campbell=Ongaro - is the only toss up conversation for me. Campbell had a very quiet 2020, while so did Easton.

last of three point

I agree although Farsi and Chung might be a tougher choice as the later is solid all round, dependable and known very well within the set up. Farsi however gives some wildcard potential X-Factor and could also slot in at various different positions. 

I would go Ongaro just because he offers something different. He scores in spurts though, so could be a big risk. Campbell has potential but certainly didnt realise it last year after what seemed like a breakout year one. They will probably pick Peruzza instead lol