Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

28 minutes ago, Shway said:

1. Dunn>TMG - Dunn had the better season 
2. Farsi>Chung - Farsi U21 player of the season (and he was better than Chung)
3. Campbell=Ongaro - is the only toss up conversation for me. Campbell had a very quiet 2020, while so did Easton.

last of three point

Productive conversation and convincing argument 🤣

21 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Surprised no one has commented on Steven Simpson. The only new name I didn't recognize at all. Anyone know his story? 

Yes that name jumped out at me also, all I can find is that he plays for Barnsley U23 as a forward.

DATE OF BIRTH

05/04/2000

SIGNED

11/10/2020

COUNTRY

Canada

STEVEN SIMPSON

Striker Steven joined Barnsley in October 2020 after impressing on trial. The Canadian had originally been part of Reds in the Community's successful Shadow Scholar programme.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

27 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Yes that name jumped out at me also, all I can find is that he plays for Barnsley U23 as a forward.

DATE OF BIRTH

05/04/2000

SIGNED

11/10/2020

COUNTRY

Canada

STEVEN SIMPSON

Striker Steven joined Barnsley in October 2020 after impressing on trial. The Canadian had originally been part of Reds in the Community's successful Shadow Scholar programme.

Are their u-23’s even in a good league ?

I apologize if this is common knowledge, but do clubs have to release players for the games that fall inside the window? I understand they wouldn’t for the games that start before the March international window. Or can they say no to an Olympic call up whether it’s during a window or not? 

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

I apologize if this is common knowledge, but do clubs have to release players for the games that fall inside the window? I understand they wouldn’t for the games that start before the March international window. Or can they say no to an Olympic call up whether it’s during a window or not? 

Technically the CSA could call players for only some of the games but:

1) The CSA would have to be willing to schedule players for only a portion of the tournament.

2) Nowadays you need to include more travel time because there are fewer flights

3) You need to include a 24hr quarantine period

4) Clubs don't have to release players if quarantines upon return are involved.

It just makes sense these days to only schedule players that are fully available for the whole tournament.

image.thumb.png.c51f80e44e98ffb3f21560684dbe7ab0.png

Thanks to @SubatthePub for sharing this on FB. 

How do we wittle that down to 20 places and doesn't the 20 also HAVE to have 3 keepers? I think the squad size is beyond ridiculous. If there are 3 keepers necessary it should be a 23 man squad.

I can't narrow that down without leaving some HUGE pieces out. Only taking 2 strikers from the above is my logical go to. 

GK: Hasal, Pantemis, St. Clair

Fullbacks: ZBG, Gutierrez, Bassong, Farsi (Chung maybe or an unpopular Godinho who has experience and fans in CSA) Maybe they only pick 3 and rely on a winger filling in if necessary. 

CB: Cornelius, Dunn, Sturing, TMG <- would we gamble with just 3, probably not?

CM: Fraser, Okello, H.Paton, Dias, Shome, Priso, Baldisimo <-- if he can be there Paton is a no brainer, likely only take 4? I think we have too many similar players in the defensive mold so interested to see who is in. Could be any of those.

Wingers: Buchanan, Corbeneau, Rutty, Nelson, Tabla, Shaffelburg    <-- can surely only take 4?

Strikers: Bair, Brym (Crobeneau can play up top if needed)

I expect some decisions will be taken away from the CSA like European players not coming but an unenviable task to pick. 

Edited by toontownman

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

image.thumb.png.c51f80e44e98ffb3f21560684dbe7ab0.png

Thanks to @SubatthePub for sharing this on FB. 

How do we wittle that down to 20 places and doesn't the 20 also HAVE to have 3 keepers? I think the squad size is beyond ridiculous. If there are 3 keepers necessary it should be a 23 man squad.

I can't narrow that down without leaving some HUGE pieces out. Only taking 2 strikers from the above is my logical go to. 

GK: Hasal, Pantemis, St. Clair

Fullbacks: ZBG, Gutierrez, Bassong, Farsi (Chung maybe or an unpopular Godinho who has experience and fans in CSA) Maybe they only pick 3 and rely on a winger filling in if necessary. 

CB: Cornelius, Dunn, Sturing, TMG <- would we gamble with just 3, probably not?

CM: Fraser, Okello, H.Paton, Dias, Shome, Priso, Baldisimo <-- if he can be there Paton is a no brainer, likely only take 4? I think we have too many similar players in the defensive mold so interested to see who is in. Could be any of those.

Wingers: Buchanan, Corbeneau, Rutty, Nelson, Tabla, Shaffelburg    <-- can surely only take 4?

Strikers: Bair, Brym (Crobeneau can play up top if needed)

I expect some decisions will be taken away from the CSA like European players not coming but an unenviable task to pick. 

I kept trying to hit 20 and couldn't get past 28.  Some very tough decisions to be made.

Here’s the 20 man list I came up with:

Goalies: St Clair, Breza, Hasal

Full backs: Bassong, ZBG, Gutierrez 

CBs: Cornelius, Sturing, Dunn

CMs: Baldisimo, Fraser, Okello, H.Paton

Wingers: Nelson, Buchanan, Corbeanu, Tabla

Forward/CAM: Bair, Brym, Dias

it’s tough to pick a 20 man squad, deciding what positions we have to leave a little thin or what talented player we have to leave out. In this case I tried to make sure all of our strongest players are present. It sucks having to leave the likes of Rutty, Priso or Farsi off the roster but that’s just how far this program has come, and I decided age/experience is more important over potential.

On 2/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Just to make it very visually clear for all those who are curious, the 50-man provisional squad has had 12 changes:

The new names for 2021:
Michael Baldisimo
David Choinière
Theo Corbeanu
Nikola Curcija
Mohamed Farsi
Lucas Dias
Cristián Gutiérrez
Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty
Chrisnovic N'sa 
Ben Paton
Ralph Priso
Steven Simpson

Those who made it in 2020 but got cut for 2021:
Robert Boskovic
Yohan Le Bourhis
Kamal Miller
Gabriel Boakye
Daniel Kinumbe
Émile Legault
Terique Mohammed
Tristan Borges
Mathieu Choinière
Aramis Kouzine
Liam Millar
Dario Zanatta

Of course there are several names that were eligible back in 2020 but never made the list (injury, senior team etc)

-We kept all 5 GK's but added a 6th (and therefore cut a non-GK)
-We cut Mathieu for David (on a fait un autre Choinière :D )
-Zanatta's prospects don't look as good now as they did one year ago
-Cristián Gutiérrez one-time-switch came through so we had to cut someone (it looks like he took Daniel Kinumbe's spot at LB?)
-Millar & Miller look like they are headed to the senior team
-Alistair Johnston & Scott Kennedy(perhaps) seems to have gone straight from not even making the list last year to a senior team role in March

EDIT:

Good work on the list @Dicdan !

i didnt see they've posted before, my bad.

3 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Here’s the 20 man list I came up with:

Goalies: St Clair, Breza, Hasal

Full backs: Bassong, ZBG, Gutierrez 

CBs: Cornelius, Sturing, Dunn

CMs: Baldisimo, Fraser, Okello, H.Paton

Wingers: Nelson, Buchanan, Corbeanu, Tabla

Forward/CAM: Bair, Brym, Dias

it’s tough to pick a 20 man squad, deciding what positions we have to leave a little thin or what talented player we have to leave out. In this case I tried to make sure all of our strongest players are present. It sucks having to leave the likes of Rutty, Priso or Farsi off the roster but that’s just how far this program has come, and I decided age/experience is more important over potential.

Great team list...

My only change would be if Patons not available, Priso would get bumped into that squad.

I think what hasn’t been mentioned, is that Nelson was playing in a number 10 role in the scrimmages. I think we might seem him there.

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

Great team list...

My only change would be if Patons not available, Priso would get bumped into that squad.

I think what hasn’t been mentioned, is that Nelson was playing in a number 10 role in the scrimmages. I think we might seem him there.

I definitely agree. Priso for Paton if need be. Nelson at the 10 role sounds exciting. His ball handling in traffic has always shown elite potential and that’s exactly what i think were looking for in that CAM role.

another thing id like to note about my 20 is that while our fullbacks look like thin pickings (lack of RBs), Buchanan adds the perfect amount of versatility and can fill that void if need be. Look how far we’ve come since 2015 LOL

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

11 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Crazy? Isn’t that a bit of hyperbole? He never plays for the worst team in the Belgian league. 

7 appearances and Belgium league is still going. Nelson had 7 appearances Tabla had 5. Corbeanu no senior appearances. Etc. The only starter at a decent level is Buchanan. Now “crazy” may be an overstatement, you are right. However my argument stems from him being the best if not close to the best player in our last big camp. He was dynamic and injected a ton of skill that we don’t see often in our teams. So if most his competition for a spot is against guys playing similar minutes in lower or equal leagues I’m going of NT performance, which makes him a lock for me personally. 

2 hours ago, Reign said:

7 appearances and Belgium league is still going. Nelson had 7 appearances Tabla had 5. Corbeanu no senior appearances. Etc. The only starter at a decent level is Buchanan. Now “crazy” may be an overstatement, you are right. However my argument stems from him being the best if not close to the best player in our last big camp. He was dynamic and injected a ton of skill that we don’t see often in our teams. So if most his competition for a spot is against guys playing similar minutes in lower or equal leagues I’m going of NT performance, which makes him a lock for me personally. 

I like Brym. He was a nice surprise against Iceland/Barbados. He will probably get selected and I would be fine with that.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't call him. He's not playing regular first team soccer. He wasn't part of the last camp. We don't know why he wasn't picked, we can only speculate. I don't imagine that will work in his favour. 

I think he's in flip-a-coin territory. I am not convinced he is ahead of Corbeanu, for instance. I am even less convinced he is ahead of Buchanan. I think he's more skilled than Schaffleburg, but he isn't more versatile.

On 2/24/2021 at 5:35 PM, Dicdan said:

i didnt see they've posted before, my bad.

You have no need to apologize. I'm actually the one who should apologize! At first I thought you had made a mistake when you wrote up the list of those who were excluded from the squad this time. Then I corrected my post. You did good work. I just added the 2nd list to yours (the 12 players who had replaced the 12 players that got cut).

On 2/25/2021 at 2:57 AM, Obinna said:

I like Brym.

I also rate Brym.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

16 minutes ago, Shway said:

With all the Rutty talk, I wonder if gets included in this team, and at who's expense.

I would probably include the Diaz kid before Rutty , just for the fact that Diaz is a bit older you want to get Diaz in the program and the fact Diaz is in game shape as he has been playing all season. But saying all that if Rutty is as good as they are saying then won’t hurt having him on the roster though.

3 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I would probably include the Diaz kid before Rutty , just for the fact that Diaz is a bit older you want to get Diaz in the program and the fact Diaz is in game shape as he has been playing all season. But saying all that if Rutty is as good as they are saying then won’t hurt having him on the roster though.

Diaz if truly available will be there. He's a number 10, Rutty is a 7. 

I want to believe that Rutty will definitely be there based on the fact that  he was called in the January camp over a lot of guys I see mentioned..Tabla, Peruzza in particular.