U17 World Cup 2019 in Brazil

Gian-Luca

The kid (Passacquale) is only 15 though, pretty young to go to a U17 WC.  Our U15s were very talented, possibly best in Concacaf (we'll never know as Slovenia and Portugal met in the final) with Marshall-Rutty and Mbongue (Ralph's brother?) from Toronto and Assi and the other kid from Montreal (sorry, cant remember his name).  None of these boys were called to our U17s.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

The kid (Passacquale) is only 15 though, pretty young to go to a U17 WC.  Our U15s were very talented, possibly best in Concacaf (we'll never know as Slovenia and Portugal met in the final) with Marshall-Rutty and Mbongue (Ralph's brother?) from Toronto and Assi and the other kid from Montreal (sorry, cant remember his name).  None of these boys were called to our U17s.

I can only speak to TFC here, but their U15s were absolutely dominant this past year. They won the inaugural U15 USSDA title and were runners-up at the Generation Adidas Cup. Players like Marshall-Rutty have played professionally with TFCII and are probably good enough to make this year's U17 team, but they are all born in 2004. They will still be eligible for the 2021 U17 cycle. The coaches might've decided to give this experience to the 2002 players and let the 2004's have their turn in 2021.

I recall reading somewhere that a player is only allowed to participate in one U17 tournament. I think the rule only applies to the actual tournament not the qualifiers as I believe Jordan Hamilton and Kianz Froese both played twice in the CONCACAF qualifiers with Froese representing Cuba his first time. If this is in fact correct it wouldn't make much sense to call up any of the 15 year olds now and disqualify them from the 2021 tournament.

Edited by Norrin Radd

Maybe he shouldn’t be named to the roster but maybe they should bring in some 15 year old players to some camps and have them play some friendlies. It would be a great test for them and get them into the Canadian program. 

Edited by SpecialK

Logan Cavaco is a 2002 who is playing with Belenenses U19 (1st tier).  I believe he was in the Toronto FC Academy in the past.

Baran Acar (2002) is a back up keeper for Boluspor U19 (1st tier).  He was on the bench last weekend for a match vs Trabzonspor.

https://us.soccerway.com/players/baran-davut-acar/578176/

Edited by Sigma78

45 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Anyone know the results of the friendlies?

2-1 loss to Argentina.

No idea who scored or how the game went except that we scored at roughly the 75th minute after Argentina had already bagged two goals. This means this squad does have some fight in them! 

http://twitter.com/Argentina/status/1184590012698038274

You can see a few of the players who played from pictures on the AFA's twitter; go through all their tweets about the game.

Next up is Mexico on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

2-1 loss to Argentina.

No idea who scored or how the game went except that we scored at roughly the 75th minute after Argentina had already bagged two goals. This means this squad does have some fight in them! 

http://twitter.com/Argentina/status/1184590012698038274

You can see a few of the players who played from pictures on the AFA's twitter; go through all their tweets about the game.

Next up is Mexico on Saturday.

CSA Twitter has Brienza, from the Whitecaps' academy, with our goal.

CANADA
1- GK- Marc Kouadio | USA / Montverde Academy
2- FB- Kobe Franklin | CAN / Toronto FC Academy U-17
3- FB- Rohan Goulbourne | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
4- M- Damiano Pecile | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Development Squad
5- CB- Gianfranco Facchineri | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Development Squad
6- CB- Nathan Demian | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
7- F- Kamron Habibullah | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Development Squad
8- M- Ralph Priso-Mbongue | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
9- F- Jacen Russell-Rowe | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
10- F- Matt Catavolo | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal U-17
11- F- Jayden Nelson | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
12- FB- Deylen Vellios | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
13- FB- Keesean Ferdinand | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal U-17
14- M- Tomas Giraldo | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal U-17
15- FB- Emiliano Brienza | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Development Squad
16- M- Deandre Kerr | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
17- M- Sean Rea | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
18- GK- Eleias Himaras | CAN / Toronto FC Academy U-17
19- F- Mouhamadou Kane | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal U-17
20- M- Julian Altobelli | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
21- GK- Benjamin Collins | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

https://canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-announces-squad-for-the-fifa-u-17-world-cup-brazil-2019-p162447

Edited by Bison44

4 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Anyone have any clue why the only player getting professional minutes in the pool didn't manage to make the team?

I know it's not that simple but take it a step further.. no player with professional minutes made the team: kid at Forge, Colyn, Pebble and the kid at Ottawa.

So a total of 4 kids in this u17 age group with pro experience and not one makes it.

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I know it's not that simple but take it a step further.. no player with professional minutes made the team: kid at Forge, Colyn, Pebble and the kid at Ottawa.

So a total of 4 kids in this u17 age group with pro experience and not one makes it.

Do they play for Toronto FC, Montreal Impact or Vancouver Whitecaps?  Okay, then there's the reason why they weren't called.  Too many politics but to be fair this core group did do fairly well in qualifying for the tournament.  I also think that Ralph, Jacen & Jayden have all played for TFC II this year.

Before anyone gets upset, no I do not agree that all the players come from the three Canadian MLS academies minus Kouadio.