U17 World Cup 2019 in Brazil

Gian-Luca

23 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Was the Feyenoord kid at the qualifying? If it's the one in thinking of, I thought he was but of a letdown 

I think there is an advantage of all the players being so familiar with each other

He was there. (Jamie Dunning)

I also wonder how hard it is for players based in European countries to accept a call-up. I don't mind not having European based players for this camp. I don't mind not having European bsed players here. I would have liked to see more players from outside the MLS Academy pool. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It looks like the U17's will play at least one friendly the week before the tournament starts, against Argentina U17:

http://mundod.lavoz.com.ar/futbol/franco-watson-en-la-seleccion-sub-17-aimar-dijo-que-me-divirtiera

"La semana del 13 de octubre jugarán un cuadrangular con México, Canadá y Nueva Zelanda. Luego, Aimar definirá el equipo que estará en el Mundial".

Hoping, "cuadrangular" translates as quadrangular with Canada also playing Mexico and New Zealand.

Edited by ray

• 2 weeks later...

So the squad is out for the pre-tournament camp and I am legit confused.  My guess is that this team will make the core of the tournament team, if not the entirety, and if that's true, there are issues:

GK- Benjamin Collins | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
GK- Eleias Himaras | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
GK- Marc Kouadio | USA / Montverde Academy
CB- Maxime Bourgeois | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
CB- Nathan Demian | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
CB- Gianfranco Facchineri | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
CB- Keesean Ferdinand | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
FB- Kobe Franklin | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
FB- Rohan Goulbourne | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
FB- Deylen Vellios | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
M- Julian Altobelli | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Emiliano Brienza | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
M- Matt Catavolo | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
M- Tomas Giraldo | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
M- Deandre Kerr | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Damiano Pecile | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
M- Ralph Priso-Mbongue | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Jacen Russell-Rowe | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
W- Kamron Habibullah | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
W- Mouhamadou Kane | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
W- Jayden Nelson | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
W- Aribim Pepple | CAN / Cavalry FC (Calgary)
W- Sean Rea | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

Key players missing: Simon Colyn, Jeremie Omeonga.  Why either of those two were dropped is puzzling.  I have no faith in Olivieri and now I have even less.

Edit: Oh yeah, we're playing Argentina and Mexico in closed door friendlies.

Edited by El Hombre

9 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Key players missing: Simon Colyn, Jeremie Omeonga.  Why either of those two were dropped is puzzling.  I have no faith in Olivieri and now I have even less.

Omenoga fractured his fibula in August and has not recovered in time for selection unfortunately. Colyn simply wasn't called-up from what I've heard.

What happened to David Amla? I thought he looked good during the qualifiers but was really unlucky and got injured. The best player from the Montreal call ups imo.

Rowe, Nelson, Habibullah, and Priso HAVE to start.

I really hope Olivieri handles this much better than the way he did with Qualifiers. Made way too many drastic changes in the bigger games. Benched some key players on the first USA match, and than basically played the entire Montreal academy in the second USA match. Guy needs to show some consistency. Think I would feel more comfortable with Tenllado managing the team.

53 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Colyn did not impress during the Concacaf qualifiers. Don't know how he has performed since.

I dont think he was bad but he definitely wasn't great. He's been injured for a long period this year. Not sure the exact details 

Really hope that Forge schedules their finals game at a different time the opening game against Brazil. It would be really bad on their part if they did, unless there is nothing else they can do

Is Pepple the first Canadian Premier League player to be called to a Canadian youth NT?

If so I believe that deserves some recognition.

Certainly he's the first Cavalry player to earn a youth NT call since the team launched. Unless I am missing someone.

But yeah, another win for the CSA thanks to the CPL. 12 months ago this kid was playing youth soccer locally. Got scooped up by Foothills earlier this year and scored 3 goals in 11 games, if I recall correctly. Then Cavalry signed the 16 year old this summer and now he finds himself only 1 of 2 non-MLS players on the U-17 roster.

I'd like to think his showings in his 6 CPL apperances earned him a spot, moreso than his USL league 2 (pdl) performances.

Edited by Obinna

14 hours ago, Colliedor said:

What happened to David Amla? I thought he looked good during the qualifiers but was really unlucky and got injured. The best player from the Montreal call ups imo.

Rowe, Nelson, Habibullah, and Priso HAVE to start.

I really hope Olivieri handles this much better than the way he did with Qualifiers. Made way too many drastic changes in the bigger games. Benched some key players on the first USA match, and than basically played the entire Montreal academy in the second USA match. Guy needs to show some consistency. Think I would feel more comfortable with Tenllado managing the team.

Those matches were basically played on top of each other. Needed to rotate players to keep them quasi fresh for knockout stage.

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Colyn did not impress during the Concacaf qualifiers. Don't know how he has performed since.

Colyn had a lot of hype and may not have performed up to those expectations, but to say that he played so poorly that he played himself off the team is ridiculous.  There has to be something else for the drop.

Because they're kids, I don't want to crucify them, but there was one midfielder who played more than one qualifier that was an absolute horror show and he's back. 

42 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Colyn had a lot of hype and may not have performed up to those expectations, but to say that he played so poorly that he played himself off the team is ridiculous.  There has to be something else for the drop.

Because they're kids, I don't want to crucify them, but there was one midfielder who played more than one qualifier that was an absolute horror show and he's back. 

Agree that the hype going in to the qualifiers re Colyn played a role in his assessment. He looked tired and did not match performances from some of the other highly ranked players. Having said that, I too am surprised that he is not on the team regardless of his sub performance. Given his pedigree I would have expected him to be there. You are spot on that there are others who did not play well and still made this squad.

2 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Whats the story on him? Was he raised here? Did he play for any other youth national teams?

I don’t know much about him , just what I saw on Tranfermarkt. But after I saw his name I saw some videos, the kid can play, well everyone can judge for themselves. 

https://vimeo.com/332941004

https://vimeo.com/273976752

396AB6D3-B0AB-4495-B159-0AABACE088AB.jpeg

1C64E683-B468-4E23-920B-E0DB0043F905.jpeg

55C10D01-B587-4E98-B11E-1D8E1F7C099D.jpeg

Edited by SpecialK