The Road to Qatar.

Binky

15 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

Maybe this is ass backwards thinking, but it would be pretty insulting to the fan base not to have it in Toronto.

Worse than, "ass backwards".

It is not the Toronto National Team. It's not even the Ontario National Team. It's the CANADIAN National Team and telling the fans in the rest of Canada to go f#@% themselves is pretty low class and IMO should be enough to get someone banned.

14 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Australia (currently drawing Oman 1-1) is not currently in an automatic qualifying position out of Asia. I don't pay much attention to that confederation, but is this surprising? If they don't get into the top 3 in their group they have to play a single match qualifier before the inter inter-confed playoff vs a CONMEBOL side.

Ya.

3rd place from Australia's group plays 3rd place from the other group (currently UAE) for the right to be in the Intercontinental playoff

14 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Australia (currently drawing Oman 1-1) is not currently in an automatic qualifying position out of Asia. I don't pay much attention to that confederation, but is this surprising? If they don't get into the top 3 in their group they have to play a single match qualifier before the inter inter-confed playoff vs a CONMEBOL side.

I believe they have a home game against Japan left to play.  That could decide who goes through and who has to go the playoff route.

7 minutes ago, ted said:

Worse than, "ass backwards".

It is not the Toronto National Team. It's not even the Ontario National Team. It's the CANADIAN National Team and telling the fans in the rest of Canada to go f#@% themselves is pretty low class and IMO should be enough to get someone banned.

Sure. Take up this crusade with the mods to get me banned 

Edited by EJsens1

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I believe they have a home game against Japan left to play.  That could decide who goes through and who has to go the playoff route.

They do. They also play Saudi Arabia who are first in the group and only 2 points ahead of Australia (if Aus hold on to their current 2-1 lead). So they could pass Saudi Arabia as well.

8 minutes ago, archer21 said:

They do. They also play Saudi Arabia who are first in the group and only 2 points ahead of Australia (if Aus hold on to their current 2-1 lead). So they could pass Saudi Arabia as well.

Shit Oman tied it up again, I think the hope for Australia and Saudi to be the two top seeds in that group is more or less dead even if Australia does beat Japan next match

Update: the dream is not dead. Saudi and Australia can finish 1-2 if:

- Saudi: beat China, lose to Australia (22 pts)

- Australia: beat Japan and Saudi (21 pts)

- Japan: lose to Australia, realistically will beat Vietnam (21 pts)

- then it'll come down to GD where Australia currently leads by 3 and assuming 2 victories would extend their lead. We'll be cheering for Vietnam to park that fucking bus

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

1 hour ago, EJsens1 said:

Sure. Take up this crusade with the mods to get me banned 

So, you have no issue with telling 80% of Canada to go f#@% themselves.

But if I suggest that being a douche in this way might be worthy of being banned means I am on a, "crusade"?

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

4 minutes ago, ted said:

So, you have no issue with telling 80% of Canada to go f#@% themselves.

But if I suggest that being a douche in this way might be worthy of being banned means I am on a, "crusade"?

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

This is my last time addressing this.  Could I  have chosen a better word than insulting?  Sure.  My point wasn’t a big F-U to the rest of the country. I never suggested that. I’m perplexed you and that other donkey have misconstrued it that way, but I’ll elaborate. The point is our national stadium is in Toronto. If the Jamaica game is a clinching/celebratory game, it should be played in our national stadium.  Do you think France, England or Mexico wouldn’t have such a big game at the Stade de France, Wembley and Azteca?  I know where I would put my money on that.  

You’re hung up on the “Toronto” part.  I could care less about that city and the fact it is Toronto is irrelevant to me. Like I said above, I don’t even live there.  If our national stadium was in St Johns or Thunder Bay or Lethbridge, I’d be saying the same thing.  It’s where the stadium is, I can’t control that. A moment like clinching or celebrating should be in our national stadium.  I get the “Toronto is the centre of the universe” crap.  I live in Ottawa, I’d love for them to come here.  I’m sure people in Regina or Victoria would too.  There will be time for that in nations league, maybe even the Gold Cup moving forward, but not now.

You don’t have to like my posts, but if you think that’s worthy of being banned, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.  Like I said, I live in Ottawa, let me know when you have some free time this afternoon and I’ll swing by the protests to say hi!!

I’m just looking at a map here. So if we are actually travelling to Qatar where are we in our journey? Are we sitting on Salwa road (an actual road) in Saudi Arabia waiting at the border, or are we in the island nation of Bahrain waiting for the next boat to carry us over like kings?

Does it matter if that last game is in Ottawa, Moncton or Vancouver??  Why should anyone care that it might not happen in TO...the supposed national stadium, instead of anywhere else??  BMO is our best stadium and it makes sense it gets the lions share, but it isnt a foregone conclusion that the majority of games should be there.  The boys did well in the cold, on the turf and the atmosphere/fan response these last couple games has been outstanding.  I dont think we should be scared of going somewhere else.   I wonder if any of those players look back and wish those games werent in Edmonton and Hamilton??  

34 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

This is my last time addressing this.  

Oh how I wish you actually were addressing my complaint.

You said, "it would be pretty insulting to the fan base not to have it in Toronto."

I am not objecting to a legitimate discussion of the practical benefits of playing the game in any particular city.

I am objecting to the implication that the fan base is Toronto and the rest of the country is irrelevant and/or the assertion that the consensus amongst ALL fans is that Toronto is where the game should be played. 

Apologize for that and all is fine FFS. 

Edited by ted

58 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Does it matter if that last game is in Ottawa, Moncton or Vancouver??  Why should anyone care that it might not happen in TO...the supposed national stadium, instead of anywhere else??  BMO is our best stadium and it makes sense it gets the lions share, but it isnt a foregone conclusion that the majority of games should be there.  The boys did well in the cold, on the turf and the atmosphere/fan response these last couple games has been outstanding.  I dont think we should be scared of going somewhere else.   I wonder if any of those players look back and wish those games werent in Edmonton and Hamilton??  

Bruh Moncton would be lit.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Plus BMO will offer not only the best experience for our last home game on March 27th against Jamaica but weather wise by then the weather will start to warm up heading into spring. So why shouldn't we play there?

6 hours ago, Kent said:

Canada has only given up 5 goals through 10 games, which is fewer goals against than any Hex team ever! The best Hex team in terms of goals against was Mexico and Costa Rica 2 times each gave up only 7 goals. Remember when defense was our big weakness?!

Very overlooked. The focus is on our fierce attack, but we have been exceptional in defensive organization and commitment. And what a stunning stat!

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I think it does matter.  

This is World Cup Qualifying so it should be played in our World Cup stadiums.  If Vancouver or Montreal want these kind of games they need to sh!t or get off the pot. 
Frendlies, Nations League etc definitely should be played across the country but as we develop our identity as a top National side part of that is acting like a top National side.  

This isn’t a band’s tour that we hope schedules a date in our home town.  It’s the National team competing in the game’s biggest competition.  

As has been mentioned before.  If we were England (Wembley) France (Stad de France) or Holland (Cruyff) there would be no question where the game would be.  Can you imagine Argentina playing a deciding game anywhere other than El monumental?

There’s be no serious discussion about hey it’s been a while since we’ve been to Middlesborough. Or Nice has nice weather in March.  

I think it comes down to BMO Field for the following reasons:

- "National Stadium" (like it or not) and one of two World Cup Venues

- Less Travel between Costa Rica and Panama

- Grass Pitch in Warm Weather

- If this is indeed a celebration, the majority of players families are based in the GTA (lumping Hamilton in here because it won't be at THF) and that counts for something

The only reason it would be held anywhere else is to get a larger venue and pack more fans in, but if we're thinking this side of the country due to limiting travel then the only real alternative is the Big O or Rogers Centre. 

• Admin locked this topic