Jayden Nelson

KW519

On 1/27/2024 at 9:29 PM, PegCityCam said:

Nice montage of dribble moves:

If this was a highlight reel for a newly found Canadian eligible player in Norway, I think we would be falling over ourselves excited and demanding he gets captied in March!

The highlight reels are always deceiving but man, there aren't too many CMNT eligible players that are showing those skills. Hope Jayden continues his form and gets noticed for a bigger move next year. He has been unlucky with Canada call timing. Still only 21. Lots of time on his side.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What a crazy weekend. We have never seen anything like this - it’s unfathomable where our pool is at right now and it’s just the tip of the iceberg. 

You are right but if we don't play games we are not able to use these players. Like Mr. Avis (yes the car rental guy) said " money is worth nothing unless you use it".

Edited by MtlMario

He has been playing predominantly wide left hasn't he? Or is he playing 10? 

Either way I think he gives us some great versatility and is another one on the periphery that really deserves a call. Not really many chances to do that. 

Maybe when we get a new coach we have an expanded first camp for the coach to get a larger pool together and see them up close.

20 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He has been playing predominantly wide left hasn't he? Or is he playing 10? 

Either way I think he gives us some great versatility and is another one on the periphery that really deserves a call. Not really many chances to do that. 

Maybe when we get a new coach we have an expanded first camp for the coach to get a larger pool together and see them up close.

Unfortunately he does play wide left for club, where we are already spoiled with riches.  I always felt (and have said probably multiple times upthread) that his skills are suited to a central attacking mid.  Good passing, quick burst of acceleration, ball control in tight spaces, etc.   It works on the wing as well but I hoped he would find his way to a more central position.  But so far it hasn’t happened and that highlight shows him once again coming in from the left.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 10:20 PM, Wasp said:

One more good year in Norway and I think Nelson will be on the move to bigger and better things. Belgium, Netherlands, Championship all seem like good landing spots for the next phase of his career.

Rosenborg have to get closer to former form and actually challenge for the league.

Otherwise, they are a storied club now at a middling level.

The player most likely to move on from Scandinavia now is Cornelius.

On 3/4/2024 at 3:20 PM, Wasp said:

One more good year in Norway and I think Nelson will be on the move to bigger and better things. Belgium, Netherlands, Championship all seem like good landing spots for the next phase of his career.

Agreed. This kid is oozing confidence. I think we're about to witness next level Nelson this season. Wouldn't be surprised if he lights up Norway and gets that move. 

39 minutes ago, costarg said:

If Biello thought picking the front line was difficult for this window..... it's about to get a lot more challenging soon if all this continues.  

Loving the confidence from Jayden, he's looking really good.

We're verging on "embarrassment of riches" territory as far as forwards go. Need some next level guys on the back end soon.

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Hope we find someone to replace Larin (when the time comes, probably soon).

Isnt he 28-29. We have 3-4 years with him. Brym, Bair, Ugbo, Jebbison, JRR, Vilsaint, Kerr, Lopez, KSB, Michel, Diallo, Afrifra, Cambridge, millar, corbeanu? all in contention to cover David. If theres one person I am not worried about replacing, its larin. Especially considering by that time we will likely only play with 1 striker. 

18 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Isnt he 28-29. We have 3-4 years with him. Brym, Bair, Ugbo, Jebbison, JRR, Vilsaint, Kerr, Lopez, KSB, Michel, Diallo, Afrifra, Cambridge, millar, corbeanu? all in contention to cover David. If theres one person I am not worried about replacing, its larin. Especially considering by that time we will likely only play with 1 striker. 

I mostly agree, but I do think Larin has some unique value.

I may be crazy, but I think his value defending set pieces - especially with Miller's various challenges in that area - has been pretty vital at times.

Obviously, some of the players you list have good size and athleticism, but Larin combines those things with savvy and experience against the highest level of competition.

36 minutes ago, gkhs said:

I mostly agree, but I do think Larin has some unique value.

I may be crazy, but I think his value defending set pieces - especially with Miller's various challenges in that area - has been pretty vital at times.

Obviously, some of the players you list have good size and athleticism, but Larin combines those things with savvy and experience against the highest level of competition.

I agree. Although theoretically a switch to a 1 striker lineup opens the door for a bombito type player to get on the field. He would arguably provide more value defending set pieces. Who knows if he ends up as our CDM or if we go 3atb etc...

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I can't help but think that like last year he was great and this year not so much, at pretty well any time he'll turn it on again.

He's streaky and not at all consistent, but I can't imagine he'll continue with such poor stats. Even David has those 4-month periods of drought, I wish Larin was a bit more effective.