Jayden Nelson

KW519

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In the Norway Cup 3rd round, of 32, he started for Rosenborg and played 66, had a card just before. Apparently lined up in the left side of the attack. Meanwhile, for the rival, Metcalfe played the whole game for Fredrikstad, had a chance first half, then his team got a late goal to go through to the next round.

I was surprised that at round of 32 they do an open draw, no seeds, plenty of top teams playing lower tier sides, then cases like this of two upper table Eliteserien teams facing each other.

Appreciate the in depth update. I briefly saw the score on my app, but being a cup game there was no line up information.

And so, Metcalfe wins the battle of the Canadians today, and Fredrikstad is upper table in the Eliteserien....with Metcalfe presumably playing significant minutes in the league.

Are we sure about shrugging our shoulders about him playing for the Philippeans? I know he's far from a world beater, but based on what I am seeing (not what I am watching to be fair), seems like he's worthy of a Canadian depth spot, or at least the opportunity to fight for a depth spot, just like Nelson is doing. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In the Norway Cup 3rd round, of 32, he started for Rosenborg and played 66, had a card just before. Apparently lined up in the left side of the attack. Meanwhile, for the rival, Metcalfe played the whole game for Fredrikstad, had a chance first half, then his team got a late goal to go through to the next round.

I was surprised that at round of 32 they do an open draw, no seeds, plenty of top teams playing lower tier sides, then cases like this of two upper table Eliteserien teams facing each other.

I prefer the randomness of an open draw.  It is what makes cup football more interesting.

27 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I prefer the randomness of an open draw.  It is what makes cup football more interesting.

I understand it, but there is an advantage of letting the lower tier teams host a bigger club. It is good for their economy (except, weirdly, in the CPL for some reason), they get tv revenue. And better if it is a single knock-out, not two legs.

Let it be a pure draw at some point. Maybe, though, you are right,  that point is precisely round of 32, almost all top flight teams, many 2nd tier, maybe some team from lower down.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Maybe they should play the Canadian guy more!

It seems they are trying, but still living in their past glory, which is quite recent.

I actually find it fascinating that an arguable powerhouse--won their league, what, 13 seasons in a row?-- has been surpassed, but in the Norway context, with small cities and small fan bases, modest sources for sponsorship, you can see how a good project could surpass the traditionally strong clubs.

I see they also won four straight in the 2010s.

I still like that he's at Rosenborg, because of this reputation. But we are seeing that in reality, players move on from success stories, now that Bodo/Glimt is winning, you look at their players and they are the ones garnering interest.

It seems strange given how many starts and overall minutes he was getting last season and contributing with goals and assists as well.

He then seemed to be starting most preseason games and lighting it up.  Then as soon as the season started, it went immediately to limited bench minutes.  I don think he’s been consistently good enough in his career to suggest he’s being punished.  But it does seem like it’s a possibility.  Then again, I haven’t seen any games this year and maybe others are just more deserving. 

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

It seems strange given how many starts and overall minutes he was getting last season and contributing with goals and assists as well.

He then seemed to be starting most preseason games and lighting it up.  Then as soon as the season started, it went immediately to limited bench minutes.  I don think he’s been consistently good enough in his career to suggest he’s being punished.  But it does seem like it’s a possibility.  Then again, I haven’t seen any games this year and maybe others are just more deserving. 

I see that the last few games he was lined up as left wing. 

Perhaps they have new signings they are trying out, or he is covering for someone missing. In any case, for the team aspiring to get back to winning leagues to be disappointing so quickly, 6 weeks into the season, is probably having an effect on player selection.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are Rosenborg so poor?

😄

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Only 25 minutes in but it absolutely looks like he doesn’t want to get dropped back down to the bench.  Involved in lots going forward so far.  He has beaten his guys with speed a few times so that is good to see.  

I agree he looks "Most Likely to Make Something Happen" whenever I see him play.  But are they that weak elsewhere that they can't afford that all the time?

Posted (edited)

Ball was put through the 6 yard box and he was at the back post to side foot it in.  It’s not like the ball bounced in off him.  Seems a bit unfair to characterize it as a nothing finish.  

And he has looked good this game.  Lots of involvement in the most dangerous offensive plays. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

Posted (edited)

Just turned on for the last 10 minutes and he’s been very dangerous.  3 chances created with his final pass or second lead up pass and then just capped it off with a beautiful left footed cross and assist.

Nelson’s usually off between 60-75 minutes when he starts but the coach must have been feeling Nelson was playing well to keep him on this long today.

Edit - Looks like the goal was cancelled.  Rosenborg score shortly afterwards.

Edited by Corazon

7 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Just turned on for the last 10 minutes and he’s been very dangerous.  3 chances created with his final pass or second lead up pass and then just capped it off with a beautiful left footed cross and assist.

Nelson’s usually off between 60-75 minutes when he starts but the coach must have been feeling Nelson was playing well to keep him on this long today.

Edit - Looks like the goal was cancelled.  Rosenborg score shortly afterwards.

Yeah I only just realized that it was called offside when the score only became 2-1 with the latest goal.  Now I want to see it again.  Nelson couldn’t have been off since it was a corner and the other guy looked right there with the defender.  Interesting…

That was their first win in 6 matches, if they hadn't won they'd be in or close to a relegation spot. The whole team needs to step up, it's Rosenborg after all. 

As I was looking at Twitter I see he does get attention from folks following the game in other countries, saw a Turk doing a profile on him. But the team needs to do well too for him to get noticed more.