Jayden Nelson

KW519

Recent article about him :

https://wakingthered.com/2023/12/04/13853/ex-toronto-fc-winger-jayden-nelson-reflects-on-first-season-at-rosenborg-urges-more-young-canadians-to-head-to-europe/

Must say I'm a bit annoyed they got his stats completely wrong, he scored 4 in league play and 2 in conference league qualifiers, then he had an assist in the league cup, so that's 6 goals and 6 assists in 29 games. 

41 minutes ago, phresh said:

Recent article about him :

https://wakingthered.com/2023/12/04/13853/ex-toronto-fc-winger-jayden-nelson-reflects-on-first-season-at-rosenborg-urges-more-young-canadians-to-head-to-europe/

Must say I'm a bit annoyed they got his stats completely wrong, he scored 4 in league play and 2 in conference league qualifiers, then he had an assist in the league cup, so that's 6 goals and 6 assists in 29 games. 

Transfermarkt has this :

B870DBBC-7E3B-4379-BC7E-4573E81D91DA.jpeg.470377de0daed57a9bb6fce760480168.jpeg

+ 1 goal in 1 game with Canada at the Gold Cup (played 57 minutes)

Not sure if transfermarkt numbers are legit tho.

23 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Transfermarkt has this :

Ya I saw that, TM added 3 league assists that never happened. All other sites have him at 5 on the season, not 8

27 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Transfermarkt has this :

Looks like Transfermarkt might’ve over counted his assists. They gave him 2 assists against Odd in July and one against Molde last spring which per all of the score apps never happened. On the other hand, it looks like Transfermarkt is the only place that tracks the Norwegian cup, so the other sources don’t count his assist there. Per my count he ended up with 6G/6A in all comps, plus the Canada goal, so unless I’ve also gotten my math wrong, in 2023, he’s played 32 total games and scored 7G and 6A- not bad at all.

With how confusing these stats are, I think it’s better for all of us if he heads to a bigger league. 

Looked into this more and for some weird reason, transfermarkt gave him an assist on an opposition own goal, another assist for drawing a penalty, and a third for taking a shot on goal that rebounded to a teammate who tapped it in. Not assists you can count, but it probably counts in the manager’s book for what it’s worth.

Edited by InglewoodJack

• 1 month later...

Started for Roseborg earlier today in a friendly against Las Palmas’ U19s, lost 1-0. I think it may have been a 60 minute game with 30 minute halves.

Did a quick twitter name search on Nelson, and it seems like quite a few rosenborg fans think he’s going to be their breakout/best player this year. Some fan page even started a rumour that some German and French teams are after him too. Looking forward to seeing how he plays. 

Seems Norway’s season starts in April- could’ve sworn they followed something closer to the MLS schedule. 

On 1/18/2024 at 3:42 PM, InglewoodJack said:

Started for Roseborg earlier today in a friendly against Las Palmas’ U19s, lost 1-0. I think it may have been a 60 minute game with 30 minute halves.

Did a quick twitter name search on Nelson, and it seems like quite a few rosenborg fans think he’s going to be their breakout/best player this year. Some fan page even started a rumour that some German and French teams are after him too. Looking forward to seeing how he plays. 

Seems Norway’s season starts in April- could’ve sworn they followed something closer to the MLS schedule. 

The league starts on Easter Monday, traditionally, so this year it's April 1st. Rosenborg is home on Easter Monday for the opener.

Rosenborg plays the Las Palmas B team on the 23rd. They are doing their pre-season in Maspalomas, it is very touristy, with terrible overbuilding, but Canary Islands is still wonderful, highly recommended. 

I'm actually going to Norway over Easter, as my son has moved to Bergen for work, and I did look at possible matches. Brann is away, but I am flying back that midday anyways. Brann women are in CL so actually play in mid-winter, they have a home group stage match in a few weeks. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 1/20/2024 at 2:05 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

The league starts on Easter Monday, traditionally, so this year it's April 1st. Rosenborg is home on Easter Monday for the opener.

Rosenborg plays the Las Palmas B team on the 23rd. They are doing their pre-season in Maspalomas, it is very touristy, with terrible overbuilding, but Canary Islands is still wonderful, highly recommended. 

I'm actually going to Norway over Easter, as my son has moved to Bergen for work, and I did look at possible matches. Brann is away, but I am flying back that midday anyways. Brann women are in CL so actually play in mid-winter, they have a home group stage match in a few weeks. 

I really liked Bergen when we visited a few years ago. The boat cruise up the fjords, while touristy, is worth it for the scenery. The main town is very compact, so you can walk everywhere. If you're going to Oslo, the train journey is also fantastic for some of the scenery.

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I really liked Bergen when we visited a few years ago. The boat cruise up the fjords, while touristy, is worth it for the scenery. The main town is very compact, so you can walk everywhere. If you're going to Oslo, the train journey is also fantastic for some of the scenery.

Thanks, we'll see what we can do. Weather isn't great in March.

My son is on his first job as an engineer working on the duplicate of the largest bridge as you go in.

I still think he is a better 10 than a winger. He can keep the ball well , dribble past players in tight spaces, and is a good passer through traffic. His last year at TFC when he played centrally, you could seem him starting to put it together and was getting more aggressive in the tackle and creating that yard of space in the last third which was starting to make him dangerous.  On the wing, I don’t think he has elite speed nor is he a great crosser of the ball. Shame in my view Rosenborg moved him back there. 

9 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Nice montage of dribble moves:

What a baller. That movement and dribbling at 57 seconds is class. 

Back in 2014 WCQ after Simpson went down we didn’t have one true attacking dribbling player in the team. Now we have players like this who are on the fringes of the national team. 

7 hours ago, An Observer said:

I still think he is a better 10 than a winger. He can keep the ball well , dribble past players in tight spaces, and is a good passer through traffic. His last year at TFC when he played centrally, you could seem him starting to put it together and was getting more aggressive in the tackle and creating that yard of space in the last third which was starting to make him dangerous.  On the wing, I don’t think he has elite speed nor is he a great crosser of the ball. Shame in my view Rosenborg moved him back there. 

In terms of speed, I don’t know if he is “elite” but I will say that there have been a few times where I have been surprised at how quick he can be.  I don’t think he uses it all the time because he is a bit of a technician with the ball, but I really do think he has enough pace to be a winger.  And I don’t just mean the bare minimum required.   

Having said that, I would still like to see him play centrally as his skillset seems well suited to a CAM sort of role.