TFC 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

For some inexplicable reason Vanney has always had an issue with Hamilton. recall the season when Jozy had a long term injury and JH scored a bunch of goals in his absence but was back stuck to the bench when he returned? Then there was Vanney's 6'5" pet project ..can't remember his name...just goes to show what an impression he made lol..who started ahead of Jordan. Now it's  Akinola. Frankly if Hamilton does not play a lot of minutes this season he should move clubs. 

Ben Spencer is the guy you are thinking of. He was only cut from the team mid last year when they finally concluded that he couldn't even score regularly at the USL level. I'm not sure if he's still in professional soccer.

I should probably add that it's not as though Caldwell & KJ were raving about the other two (Akinola and Boyd) - KJ likened the TFC striker position to a race and said something along the lines of Altidore having completed a lap, Akinola and Hamilton being halfway round the track and Boyd not having even got his running shoes on yet, let alone running in the race itself. Boyd really has to be the concern in terms of what he's done so far - if Vanney doesn't trust Hamilton as yet, what does it say about Boyd that he is now in the prime of his career (aged 27) he's barely been used by Vanney? For the good of the club they are going to need him to start producing or they will need to let him go and sign someone else this summer. So maybe they give him the start to see if they can "jump start" his TFC career.

That said, I still expect Hamilton will start on Saturday because he did earlier on in the games that TFC took seriously when Jozy was injured, part of the reason I won't be surprised if he doesn't is that in the post-game comments last week Vanney mentioned something about Hamilton scoring even when he doesn't play very well, which didn't strike me as the most complimentary statement to make about a guy who comes off the bench when your team is trailing late in the game and then scores 2 goals to not just give you the tie but also the win. But I guess we'll see in a couple of days.

I think the big issue with Hamilton is that when ever he gets a chance to start, he seems to disappear.  And I don't just mean on the score sheet, as he also seems to have very little impact on the game in general.  But then a couple games later he comes in as a sub and scores a goal.  Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed, but he needs to become more of an impact player when he gets a start.

10 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I think the big issue with Hamilton is that when ever he gets a chance to start, he seems to disappear.  And I don't just mean on the score sheet, as he also seems to have very little impact on the game in general.  But then a couple games later he comes in as a sub and scores a goal.  Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed, but he needs to become more of an impact player when he gets a start.

At this point I would be thrilled if he received consistent sub appearances. The issue is that Vanney does not give him an extended run of minutes like he did with Ben Spencer... he sticks with Delgado who had an awful season last year and does not look much better this year...and don't get me started with Zavaleta. Hard to be consistent when you don't play consistently.

Ben Spencer played a grand total of 261 minutes (in 5 games) over two seasons with TFC. 82 of those minutes came in a pair of games last season when the team was knee-deep in CCL and putting B teams in MLS matches.

He was rightly binned midway through 2018.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/ben-spencer

As for Jordan Hamilton, it's easy to share @AvroArrow's assessment that he tends to do better as a sub, but 6 of Hamilton's 10 MLS goals have come as a starter. I think the biggest thing working against Hamilton was the fact that TFC spends most of its money on attackers, and for 4 seasons the forward pairing of Giovinco and Altidore was always going to start if healthy/available. Hamilton doesn't seem to be able to play alongside Altidore as easily as a Ricketts or even Akinola, so even with Altidore out frequently it's still been a struggle for him to get into matches unless it was a situation like last week where TFC completely changed formation in order to salvage the game.

In Hamilton's defence, he seems to have shed his tendency to coast and appears to be working a lot more with and without the ball now. He seems to have been humbled by his contract running out last season without an immediate renewal, so hopefully he can round himself into an even more integral part of the team. As I see it, he's TFC"s No. 2 striker, even though Akinola is a more natural fit beside Altidore (if TFC chose to play two up front).

Coaches are always gonna give new signings at least a few opportunities to see what they can do. I think Hamilton's done better than Boyd so far but I'm sure we'll see Boyd make a few more appearances. 

I wonder how much Vanney's preference towards 4-3-3 this year was influenced by his choices in strikers. With a pairing like Giovinco and Altidore who have a great understanding of one another and can both be dynamic attackers it made sense to have two up front but now with neither available it's easier for the whole team to slot Akinola/Boyd/Hamilton into that clearly defined lone striker spot.

Spencer is with Phoniex in USL.  He's even got a goal this season.  The Vanney connection was with Chivas academy, and I think I remember some story about him sleeping on Vanneys couch, but that might have been Zav....or maybe Delgado.  

Well I hope that today will be TFC's worst-played game of the entire season, as that was a poor team performance. When Zavaleta is one of your better players on the day, you know that you've had a rough day at the office. And I think I've seen enough now from Terrence Boyd to think that he's actually not an improvement on Ricketts and just looks too clumsy and awkward to have enough skill to play at this level. I'd think about releasing him and replacing him with someone who can actually play.

22 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Right..as if ricketts would get anywhere near the first or second bundesliga..if boyd gets fit he could do well as many players who played a lower level than him before going to mls

Ricketts doesn't have the "advantage" of being German though, so that is a somewhat silly measurement to use. I am going by the evidence of what I have actually seen with my own eyes, not the fact that Boyd was no longer wanted by a mid table B2 after a poor strike rate. If his lack of co-ordination and molasses like quickness is down to a lack of fitness after being with the team for three months then fair enough but on the evidence to date and every possible stat we can look at, he hasn't been an improvement at all.

Ricketts was a backup in the second tier of turkey before going to mls..even in norway and romania was mostly out of the 11 so not hard to figure out if he would get time in the first or second bundesliga..would he even put 15 in austrian bundesliga when he never put double digits even at lower levels than that..but he still did well in mls as far as strike rate..so really now its up to boyd..if he can get back to the level he was he will do well

6 hours ago, Big_M said:

Ricketts was a backup in the second tier of turkey before going to mls..even in norway and romania was mostly out of the 11 so not hard to figure out if he would get time in the first or second bundesliga..would he even put 15 in austrian bundesliga when he never put double digits even at lower levels than that..but he still did well in mls as far as strike rate..so really now its up to boyd..if he can get back to the level he was he will do well

What does the second bundesliga have to do with how well you preform in MLS?

9 hours ago, Big_M said:

What level was that exactly? He scored 5 goals in 42 appearances for Darmstadt. 1 goal every 8 appearances is pretty horrible for a striker. He has also never scored for the US team. His last good season was 6 years ago in Austria. You could almost make the argument Simeon Jackson's had better seasons recently than Boyd.

Boyd is a disappointment and we would have been better off keeping Ricketts both from a skill standpoint and the Cdn in Cdn championship angle.  Boyd looks totally overmatched right now.  Zaveleta was one of our best as Gian-Luca said above which indicates what a terrible game we played. That better have been a one off and not a return to last season where that kind of game was seen regularly.  Get back on the front foot against Orlando in the warmth.

Actually TFC should have gone after Simeon Jackson rather than Boyd , Simeon has 6 goals this season playing in the Scottish Premier League with St.Mirren . He is a much more mobile type forward with some nice speed like Ricketts but a lot more skill full than Ricketts and Boyd , would have been a nice replacement.

16 hours ago, Big_M said:

Right..as if ricketts would get anywhere near the first or second bundesliga..if boyd gets fit he could do well as many players who played a lower level than him before going to mls

Didnt Boyd miss damn near 2 seasons with a nasty knee injury?  I remember hearing an interview and they though he might not recover from it.  Its not like he wouldnt be the first guy we have brought in with a big pedigree to completely shit the bed.  

Omar is a good signing. TFC obviously needs a CB and he's a threat on set pieces at 6'5. 

His season ends on the weekend hopefully he can play in two weeks. 

Jansons season I think could end on the weekend if his team loses in the playoffs and there are rumors of his return. 

Another USMNT??  How long a list of targets do they have??  Hopefully if it goes through its not another sweet heart, huge wage reward contract  to another USMNT.  I guess this confirms that they think CIman is not up to snuff.  

4 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Omar is a good signing. TFC obviously needs a CB and he's a threat on set pieces at 6'5. 

His season ends on the weekend hopefully he can play in two weeks. 

Jansons season I think could end on the weekend if his team loses in the playoffs and there are rumors of his return. 

I wonder if TFC have enough TAM for Gonzalez AND Janson?

OG will probably be on Ciman money, perhaps more. Lucas was on +400 k last year IIRC. Could cost TFC close to $1.5M for two players.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I wonder if TFC have enough TAM for Gonzalez AND Janson?

OG will probably be on Ciman money, perhaps more. Lucas was on +400 k last year IIRC. Could cost TFC close to $1.5M for two players.

They have plenty of tam money. Vv was on the max amount of tam, they saved some tam from vdw, aketxe was on tam money. They also picked up some tam in the hagglund deal. Apparently Ali was in France scouting, I'm guessing a winger Jimmy durmaz would be a tam player and he's a free agent soon from Ligue 1.