TFC 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

Now official:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/06/03/toronto-fc-signs-us-international-defender-omar-gonzalez

Can't say that I am thrilled about another USMNT player on the team as the last American national team player they signed has been terrible thus far - but at the same time the defense clearly still needed to be upgraded and it's not as though there were a ton of Canadian options out there that would be an upgrade and available starting July.

Perhaps we can release Terrence Boyd next month to make up for this.....

12 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Finally corrects the outcome of the 2009 Superdraft when TFC selected Sam Cronin at #2 while Omar Gonzalez went to the Galaxy at #3. Not one of MoJo's better decisions.

True, but Cronin did prove to be a useful player in this league, unfortunately mostly useful to the Quakes.  TFC did pick Frei at #4 as well if memory serves, and unfortunately again, more useful the the Sounders than he was to us.  It could be argued that Frei was the more effective pick than Gonzalez at 3.

One is tempted to be more critical of the 2013 draft for TFC given that Bekker had a mediocre MLS career (not what you'd hope for at 3rd overall) and Welshman only played one game for the club or in MLS as a whole - except for the fact that 2013 wasn't the greatest year for the draft (perhaps starting to recede in importance) - the guy Montreal took at #8 overall is currently playing for Pacific FC (so it was a banner draft for the CPL!) while Zavaleta was taken 10th overall by Seattle and he's turned out to be one of the more notable picks of that yeare (maybe helped by having an uncle in the league who is a coach, mind you.....).

I am less pumped about Gonzalez than I would have been a month ago. Yeah the team needs more defensive depth, but at what cost? I think the team needs at least 2 quality attacking players - do they have enough TAM left to make it happen?

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I am less pumped about Gonzalez than I would have been a month ago. Yeah the team needs more defensive depth, but at what cost? I think the team needs at least 2 quality attacking players - do they have enough TAM left to make it happen?

I think the fact that that waited til the second window they will have more TAM to spend as its pro-rated? After watching Fraser out there maybe its time to let Bradley go and get a DP winger and probably a TAM winger as well and then you can go 4-3-3. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think the fact that that waited til the second window they will have more TAM to spend as its pro-rated? After watching Fraser out there maybe its time to let Bradley go and get a DP winger and probably a TAM winger as well and then you can go 4-3-3. 

I think this may actually spell the end of Bradley at TFC. I don't think he'll renew as a DP and I don't think TFC have enough TAM to resign him, do they? Re-signing him to a TAM contract, should it be possible, would absolutely rule out a TAM winger. Probably looking at a DP winger at that point. I think TFC needs more than just a DP winger at this point.

I would strongly consider two high level attackers, one pure winger and one hybrid who can play forward. Doesn't matter which one is a TAM and which one is a DP. At current, TFC are disabled without one of Pozuelo or Altidore. If Toronto can get two more ballers in attack, they'll be in great shape. That's worth transitioning from Bradley for. It's high time to start giving Fraser some responsibility. Him and Delgado can fight for minutes or play as a pair if needed. 

Tam seems to increase every year. Doesnt the cba expire in a year or so ?

Tfc barely has any tam level players. Omar mavinga osorio are the only ones off the top of my head. Ive seen some teams have about 7 tam players. I think they have a good amount of tam left depending on how they spread it around.

59 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Tam seems to increase every year. Doesnt the cba expire in a year or so ?

Tfc barely has any tam level players. Omar mavinga osorio are the only ones off the top of my head. Ive seen some teams have about 7 tam players. I think they have a good amount of tam left depending on how they spread it around.

Ciman is TAM as well if I recall correctly. Unsure if VdW is still taking some or not.

Omar and Osorio are probably taking a combined 2 million in TAM if I had to guess. Mavinga and Ciman I think would account for roughly 1.3, so that's close to 3.5 and I think teams get up to 4.6 or something. Just pulling these numbers out off the top of my head without going to double check.

I am guessing we have roughly 1 million left, maybe 1.5. We did acquire extra TAM in a few deals earlier in the year if I am not mistaken.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

I cant find any proof Ciman is on TAM money. When does the MLS release player salaries? 

I think he was on close to $900,000/yr in LA and I assume he was earning close to that with Dijon in Ligue 1. It would be nice to find some actual confirmation and not rely on memory, as I am doing right now. 

Edit: He was on $630,000 last year in LA. My memory is not to be trusted lol

Edited by Obinna

You know, I am warming up to the idea of Gonzalez and since TFC went in for him first, we may speculate that TFC do have some plans in the works for attackers.

Why I am more optimistic now though is just a result of contemplating the quality of these CB options:

Mavinga on his day is a top center back in MLS. I don't know if there's a team he doesn't start for in this league. Major flaw is his propensity for injuries, but you must take the good with the bad. I can live with that.

Ciman has struggled thus far, but I haven't given up on him entirely. He does have qualities that are valuable. Just needs the right partner and I think Omar can be that guy. Ciman and Mavinga can split that ball winning CB role.

Moor is in the twilight. He can fill in for Mavinga or Ciman or anchor the backline on his own if Omar is down.

Zavaletta needs to be moved on for allocation money to help bring in the attackers they need. If they can get 2-3 hundred thousand for him that would be good business. To be honest I have been happy with his play this year, but he's always going to be 5th on this depth chart. Cut him lose and let him continue his development elsewhere.

Anyways, is there a better centerback quartet than Mavinga-Moor-Ciman-Gonzalez in MLS? It's certainly up there. They have a combined 6 MLS cups, so although they are old they do have Championship experience. The one who doesn't is Belgian ex national team with 20 caps. Not bad.

Edited by Obinna

Is there a world where TFC deal Zavaletta to RSL for Joao Plata? Throw them allocation money too, if necessary.

Plata knows Toronto and knows MLS. Can play up front or on the wing. RSL get centre back depth and an MLS Cup winner. If they are going to lose Plata anyways (to San Luis in Liga MX), why not get a player in return for your troubles? Not familiar with their CB depth at Salt Lake, but one would think Eric could at least be depth for the Nigerian-Englishman who got into it with Zlatan earlier in the season. His name escapes me now....

Edited by Obinna

Lol you could hear Vermes when shaking hands of TFC coaches "what a terrible ref huh"..telfer recalled sent in at 87 makes a run behind nice ball over from pozuelo and he gives a ball across for open net equalizer by hamilton..1 point at home still in the last playoff spot but barely

Nice little post-game rant by Jordan Hamilton:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/06/07/toronto-fcs-hamilton-scores-key-equalizer-laments-frustrating-game

In a bit of a bizarre coincidental statistic, that's the second year in a row that he's scored the equalizer in a 2-2 draw against Kansas City.

Don't underestimate the play Telfer made prior to the cross, before he got the ball from Pozuelo, it was the key move which started the breakthrough.