TFC 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

On 5/22/2019 at 5:45 AM, narduch said:

Part of me wants it to happen because I don't think he is worth a DP spot anymore. 

But I have no faith in this FO to find his replacement in one window. 

In the summer window I think it would be fairly easy to find a replacement. 

I would let Bradley go. Replace him short term with Atiba on a free. Then sign a winger as a DP. 

7 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

In the summer window I think it would be fairly easy to find a replacement. 

I would let Bradley go. Replace him short term with Atiba on a free. Then sign a winger as a DP. 

In Voyageur fantasy land perhaps, but in the real world Atiba is not leaving Besiktas for Toronto FC. He is rather entrenched at the club. I mean, never say never, but I think it's a little dreamy and nothing more. 

I wouldn't be so tore up about Bradley leaving as I would have a month ago, when the team was near the top of the table and looking as if they'd rediscovered their 2017 form. I was hoping he'd stay for TAM money, but the Monterrey rumors have dampened my spirits. It just makes contract negotiations more difficult than need be. It was going to be hard to sell Bradley on a TAM deal to begin with.....

Okay, the solution may be to let him walk then, but how does that affect the group? He's such a huge part of the club, just not on the field, but in the dressing room and on the training ground. Toronto may gain more talent by bringing in a different DP, but if they lose Bradley they lose a lot of intangible benefits. However, with the season going downhill at the moment, perhaps the trigger needs to be pulled and the club needs to freshen up and turn over a new leaf?

Curtis got rid of Dax McCarty. History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

In Voyageur fantasy land perhaps, but in the real world Atiba is not leaving Besiktas for Toronto FC. He is rather entrenched at the club. I mean, never say never, but I think it's a little dreamy and nothing more. 

I wouldn't be so tore up about Bradley leaving as I would have a month ago, when the team was near the top of the table and looking as if they'd rediscovered their 2017 form. I was hoping he'd stay for TAM money, but the Monterrey rumors have dampened my spirits. It just makes contract negotiations more difficult than need be. It was going to be hard to sell Bradley on a TAM deal to begin with.....

Okay, the solution may be to let him walk then, but how does that affect the group? He's such a huge part of the club, just not on the field, but in the dressing room and on the training ground. Toronto may gain more talent by bringing in a different DP, but if they lose Bradley they lose a lot of intangible benefits. However, with the season going downhill at the moment, perhaps the trigger needs to be pulled and the club needs to freshen up and turn over a new leaf?

Curtis got rid of Dax McCarty. History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.

I dont think its too far fetched at age 35 for Atiba to come home. He hasnt signed an extension for some reason? Maybe besiktas wants to get younger?

Letting Bradley go might be a blow to morale/chemistry or it might be a positive move.  The team has looked poor for a long time now, defending, attitude, effort etc, all with Bradley as Captain/leader.  I dont know who would be the midfield Boss you would bring in to change things, but there is a good chance Bradley wont re-sign anyway.  I'm not sure we should be giving him a big money deal (like Jozy got) that locks him down until he is 34-35.  

6 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I dont think its too far fetched at age 35 for Atiba to come home. He hasnt signed an extension for some reason? Maybe besiktas wants to get younger?

Maybe he retires and Besiktas want him to join the coaching staff?

He's an absolute legend at that club. He's been there for what, six seasons now? If this was three or even two years ago, then maybe it happens, but it didn't happen then so there's far less of a chance now. Hutchinson is probably treating his club career like his national team career: day-by-day. The man is 36 years old.

I would absolutely love if he came in for Bradley on a one-year deal to see out his career and give Liam Fraser a little more time to develop and become the guy, but I just don't see it happening. Would absolutely love to be wrong, but not getting my hopes up.

Remember when we were all so pumped to see JDG come to town after starring in La Liga.  He was on the right side of 30 and it all went sour.  Sometimes just plugging in our fav from the national team isnt the answer. 

I'd like to see them build from within (fraser/Okello), save on cap space and pick up a winger or an actual defender, somebody who shows some pride and desire.  Scoring goals isnt the biggest problem, the defense has been crap for a long time.  Should have let CIman sign with Cincy and kept Hagglund.  

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Remember when we were all so pumped to see JDG come to town after starring in La Liga.  He was on the right side of 30 and it all went sour.  Sometimes just plugging in our fav from the national team isnt the answer. 

I'd like to see them build from within (fraser/Okello), save on cap space and pick up a winger or an actual defender, somebody who shows some pride and desire.  Scoring goals isnt the biggest problem, the defense has been crap for a long time.  Should have let CIman sign with Cincy and kept Hagglund.  

Hagglund is awful he lost his spot on an expansion team. That trade was a complete fleecing. 

Scoring goals lately is a problem. Without Jozy a guy who never plays more than 2/3s a season the team cant score. 

4 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Hagglund is awful he lost his spot on an expansion team. That trade was a complete fleecing. 

Scoring goals lately is a problem. Without Jozy a guy who never plays more than 2/3s a season the team cant score. 

Look at the numbers, we have 22 goals in 12 games.  Only one other team in the east has scored like we have, however our defense is down at the bottom with Cincy and the Revs.  Vanney seems scared to play Ciman and Mavinga together, at least we could throw Hagglund out and he would work hard.  I really think Vanney has to start with defense, start cracking the whip on our supposed d-mids and find some combo of our CBs that will work.  Giving up 2 goals almost every game is embarassing.  

Wow. Laryea was our best player by far. Not sure exactly what this says about the squad.  Very disappointing once again.  Gave up 2-3 chances and lose 2-1.  We really need someone with some attacking flair and we must do better in not conceding when we do only give up a couple of chances. Thought we were back to a high level but starting to get very worried that we are in for a long year. Pozuelo looked pissed last game,  think he is really starting to wonder where the other  skilled players are.

Was it me or did every cross that came into the box go in the net?? 

Without Poz, Bradley, Osorio and with Altidore up front on his own we had the lead and then pissed it away.  Only bright spot was Laryea.  Very slippery character, there is no reason to try and make a RB out of him.  Oh..I barely noticed Bradley wasnt there, 6mil vs 70g.  

Pozuelo and Osorio were the bigger losses than Bradley - Morrow was non existent as an attacker in left midfield, it is just not his position. I don’t think Altidore has an attempt on goal the whole game as no Pozuelo to feed him properly- Delgado (who seems to miss glorious scoring chances every time we play a game against this coach) and DeLeon not up to snuff there. Should have started Chapman in one of those spots

Edited by Gian-Luca

It was actually quite an entertaining match, lots of attacking play, how Moor doesn't mark Wondo twice given his goal scoring record is beyond me! Laryea was a real bright spot, I also thought Fraser did quite well and would like to see more of him in a more natural position for him, he positioned himself well and made some real nice passes, Morgan was steady in the LB position his experience really shows, a little unlucky as the cross for the 2nd goal looked like it went through his legs! Besides a lovely flick on that helped set up the goal I didn't think Jozy was very good at all, yes he was isolated, just like Hamilton has been playing as a lone striker, Delgado ran tons as usual without much end product, a nice pass for the goal however! Mistakes in the Center Back position continue to plague this team, I don't see this getting better with the players that are available!

Not keeping Telfer at LW looks like a mistake?...or we could have  had Raheem Edwards playing  left wing now if he was protected LOL.  I don't understand why Vanney did not start Chapman in Pozuelo's spot? More minutes for Boyd? Almost everyone who has watched TFC over the years has been concerned with the lack of quality at the CB position...other than management it appears....ok rant over

37 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Not keeping Telfer at LW looks like a mistake?...or we could have  had Raheem Edwards playing  left wing now if he was protected LOL.  I don't understand why Vanney did not start Chapman in Pozuelo's spot? More minutes for Boyd? Almost everyone who has watched TFC over the years has been concerned with the lack of quality at the CB position...other than management it appears....ok rant over

I like that it gives Morgan some minutes when he pushes Morrow further up the field but let's be honest here, Morrow is poor in that role, as you say TFC had a couple of natural left sided players they didn't feel were good enough, some of these evaluations are puzzling considering the lack of options now! I also agree Chapman should have been given the start in Pozuelo's position, it can't be great for confidence for him or Hamilton for that matter to not be playing when the opportunity is there, Boyd has been poor and I'm not sold on DeLeon although he is versatile! Good on Vanney for starting Fraser though, if he gets the opportunity I am optimistic he has the quality to play well at that level!

58 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

On both SJ goals, who was Mavinga marking?  Or is his role to cover space?  On the 2nd goal it looked like Moor was left to mark up on two players.

Vanney was pretty pissed off in the post-game media talk with reporters and I think, without him naming names, that's who he was referring to when he talked about players needing to mark Wondolowski rather than to cover space (although Moor was closer to Wondolowski on the first goal). Morgan has to take some of the blame for letting both crosses in, particularly on the 2nd one where I think he gave the guy too much time. Although it could be argued that he was marking their main creative attacking threat and everything was coming down SJ's right side and he shut that player out for most of the game - the two times he doesn't both result in the ball in the back of the net as two CB's failed to mark the very obvious target in the box. In contrast Altidore is less mobile but SJ had a defender's chest glued to his back the entire game, so I don't see why we can't do that as well. Altidore to me looked like he was out of gas the last 30 minutes, maybe not used to playing 90 as he hasn't done that for a long time now.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Liam Fraser deserves a shout out. In the final minutes he one of the only players who looked like he actually wanted to get a result out there.

I'll say this, it's very tough to see a $6 million difference in Bradley vs. Fraser from what you get on the field. Maybe Bradley could have linked up with Altidore better after over a decade of playing together but then that's only to be expected since Fraser doesn't have the same relationship with Altidore as yet.

We'll probably be seeing more of Fraser in the weeks to come. Bradley is questionable for Friday and then the Gold Cup players are apparently going to be released to the national team after that game.

22 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I'll say this, it's very tough to see a $6 million difference in Bradley vs. Fraser from what you get on the field. Maybe Bradley could have linked up with Altidore better after over a decade of playing together but then that's only to be expected since Fraser doesn't have the same relationship with Altidore as yet.

We'll probably be seeing more of Fraser in the weeks to come. Bradley is questionable for Friday and then the Gold Cup players are apparently going to be released to the national team after that game.

Are you getting the feeling that Bradley is already out the door? A twinge or a slight pull etc, skip a few games, but then healthy for USMNT, have a week or with them while agent and TFC hash out the details and announce a transfer after the GC?  It would fit with the new GM rep for going younger and cheaper.  

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Are you getting the feeling that Bradley is already out the door? A twinge or a slight pull etc, skip a few games, but then healthy for USMNT, have a week or with them while agent and TFC hash out the details and announce a transfer after the GC?  It would fit with the new GM rep for going younger and cheaper.  

I am getting that vibe for whatever reason. Not saying he's going to Monterrey, or that he's even going for sure, but with TFC struggling heading into the summer transfer window, it is starting to feel that Bradley's time at the club has run it's course.

Again, I must say that I would love to have him as a TAM, but I don't think that will happen, and TFC need that DP spot badly in my opinion. The situation is precarious and you can't afford to miss the playoffs twice in a row. If the club was at or near the top of the league, perhaps they bring Bradley back on a DP, but I don't know how you justify that now, with all due respect to him.

The struggles are not his fault, far from it, but he hasn't been able to pull the club higher up the standings. That shouldn't be his responsibiliy one could argue, but there are DPs out there who could make that happen. I'm not saying they can or will go for Robben, he's 35 years old, but that's an example of a player who would automatically move TFC to the top of the east, even at his age. There is no shortage of talent out there interested in major league soccer and Toronto is a big market.

My opinion right now (which is subject to change, of course) is that TFC should transition away from Bradley, give Liam Fraser a chance in that role, then use the DP spot for another attacker who can play on his own or with Altidore. Then bring in at least one high level TAM winger, who can also make plays centrally. There's no replacing Pozuelo right now and if Altidore is down nobody can score.