TFC 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

Going with a 3-5-2 to start - Mavinga, Moor and Ciman to all start at the back.

Jordan  Hamilton gets the start alone up front. Osorio the other Canadian to start. Morgan, Chapman & Fraser on the bench.

Edited by Gian-Luca

3-4-3 on offence and then it shifted to a 5-4-1 on defense, I liked it hopefully they use that for another game or two. 

At least the next game Jozy is back! And then I think Pozuelo will debut the game after. Who sits when Pozuelo gets here? Delgado has played better than Osorio and provides more defense. 

Team played a good road game and great to see Bradley get on the scoresheet.  Back three looked better but we still gave up some great chances.  It was great to have Moor back who still looks like he can use his smarts to cover up for his lack of pace.  DeLeon looked good.  Would be nice to have Janson with this squad, hope they get some firepower to go along with Pozuelo.  Great start to the year.

20 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

3-4-3 on offence and then it shifted to a 5-4-1 on defense, I liked it hopefully they use that for another game or two. 

At least the next game Jozy is back! And then I think Pozuelo will debut the game after. Who sits when Pozuelo gets here? Delgado has played better than Osorio and provides more defense. 

Assuming everyone is healthy I could see it being Auro, with De Leon moving to Auro's spot and Pozuelo playing where De Leon did (Altidore coming in for Hamilton). I don't think we'll see either Osorio or Delgado benched.

As for maccaliam's point, I wasn't surprised to see how well Hamilton did holding up the ball & keeping possession but it was nice to see as it is an  aspect of his game he'll need to continue to develop this season if the plan is to play one striker, especially for the 30% of the games this season that Altidore is injured or suspended for.

Great road win! They grinded this one out and then DeLeon sealed it. That’s what teams with championship experience do. They find a way to win.

I was happy to see Hamilton do well today holding up the ball. He has been adding strength in the off season, so that helps, but it was the technique of his hold up play that really caught my eye yesterday. Maybe I just never noticed before, but it looked remarkably improved.

Osorio had a day to forget though, didn’t he? Misses the penalty and then concedes one on the other end! Some days are better than others, but the team won. That’s what matters.

Everyone on the back line had a better performance and you can see things gelling a bit. I still really like Auro going forward. Morrow was decent on the other flank. The centre backs benefited from having Moor between them. Ciman in particular really stepped it up late in the second half. There was a 10 minute stretch where he won absolutely everything in the air, and instead of gambling for interceptions, he simply got really tight not allowing any opponents to turn. Good signs.

Can’t wait for Altidore to get healthy and Pozuelo to join.

And not to get too high, but this was a road win against a noticeably improved Philly without two of our DPs. The team deserves a lot of credit!

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Great road win! They grinded this one out and then DeLeon sealed it. That’s what teams with championship experience do. They find a way to win.

I was happy to see Hamilton do well today holding up the ball. He has been adding strength in the off season, so that helps, but it was the technique of his hold up play that really caught my eye yesterday. Maybe I just never noticed before, but it looked remarkably improved.

Osorio had a day to forget though, didn’t he? Misses the penalty and then concedes one on the other end! Some days are better than others, but the team won. That’s what matters.

Everyone on the back line had a better performance and you can see things gelling a bit. I still really like Auro going forward. Morrow was decent on the other flank. The centre backs benefited from having Moor between them. Ciman in particular really stepped it up late in the second half. There was a 10 minute stretch where he won absolutely everything in the air, and instead of gambling for interceptions, he simply got really tight not allowing any opponents to turn. Good signs.

Can’t wait for Altidore to get healthy and Pozuelo to join.

And not to get too high, but this was a road win against a noticeably improved Philly without two of our DPs. The team deserves a lot of credit!

I saw some predictions that had Philly in the top three in the East. Can't wait to see pozuelo setting up Jozy in a few weeks!

Right now the roster stands at 29 players so they can only add one more - however that 29 includes Van Der Wiel who will presumably be moved, released or bought out. That would mean two players, presumably one TAM winger and another defender. Or possibly a TAM player and a Shaffelberg, but there are already a lot of young Canucks (Okello, Dunn, Daniels) taking up roster spots who haven’t even seen the bench yet this season. And then there is Laryea who still seems to be training with the team based on the Philly game preview video.

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Players could be loaned out to open up roster spots. 

That may have to happen if this tweet is anything to go by:

Taken literally this means they are looking to sign a 4th keeper which I find hard to believe, but maybe he didn't mean it quite so literally. Good news for Jordan Hamilton it would seem, however.

I would suggest that they could loan Julian Dunn or Aiden Daniels to a CPL team (or maybe Jacob Shaffelburg to Halifax), but judging from the CPL section of this forum it would appear that an MLS loan of a player to a CPL team would cause CPL fans/Canadians in general to withdraw their support from that league so I've decided to hold off on recommending that for now lest the haters come after me. ;)

5 hours ago, Ruffian said:

How much is Hoilett paid? Could he potentially come in as a TAM target? Would be nice option on the left wing opposite DeLeon in Vanney's new system playing wingers.

I don't think the terms of his contract were released by Cardiff, but I would speculate he's on about £20,000 per week, which I believe would put him slightly under the $1.5M/yr TAM limit.

I too would like to see Hoilett with Toronto, especially if Cardiff get relegated. 

However, I am sure his contract extends beyond the summer, so TFC would have buy him which would obviously put him in DP territory.

MLS really needs to change the rules so that transfer fees don't count against the cap. That change alone would do wonders for the league. 

We have already lost out on Jansen and Menendez because the transfer fees would have eaten up all the TAM. South American clubs are getting smart and slapping these little 2 to 3 million dollar valuations on TAM level players, knowing full well that MLS teams need to use DP slots to get them, but don't have DP slots available.

Edited by Obinna

Problem with TFC this season is that they lost both Giovinco and Vasquez. While I do believe the Spaniard is a useful replacement, they still need another above-average midfield creator to get to the same level as before. Let alone if a key player gets injured (Altidore anyone) or Pozuelo get's tired at the end of the season. And I'm not so strong on Ciman either, I'd rather have seen a young promising player at CB instead of an aging one (who isn't the best in defense to begin with). 

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

Problem with TFC this season is that they lost both Giovinco and Vasquez. While I do believe the Spaniard is a useful replacement, they still need another above-average midfield creator to get to the same level as before. Let alone if a key player gets injured (Altidore anyone) or Pozuelo get's tired at the end of the season. And I'm not so strong on Ciman either, I'd rather have seen a young promising player at CB instead of an aging one (who isn't the best in defense to begin with). 

Pozuelo is the creative mid fielder. They need wingers who will be the replacement for Giovinco in a different facet. Ciman looked good last game but they do need another defender.