TFC 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

Chapman, Osorio and Hamilton to start, Morgan and Fraser on the bench. Fraser is the only midfielder on the bench in fact, Delgado must be injured as he isn’t dressed. Ciman starts on the bench as well, so does Boyd and Altidore who still isn’t fit to start

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

Chapman, Osorio and Hamilton to start, Morgan and Fraser on the bench. Fraser is the only midfielder on the bench in fact, Delgado must be injured as he isn’t dressed. Ciman starts on the bench as well, so does Boyd and Altidore who still isn’t fit to start

Was just about to post it. Interesting lineup to say the least.

Good win!

Glad to see Jozy score. Akinola looks like the second best striker on the team, could he possibly play the wing?

Bono is bad, time to give the guy from France a look. 

I'd start this lineup next game

---------------Westburg

-------Ciman-moor-maginga-----

DeLeon-osorio-bradley-morrow

------------------pozuelo-------------

------------jozy----------akinola-----

Both Altidore and Bradley mention post-game that they have been very tough on Akinola and Hamilton:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/17/be-able-come-and-score-winner-great-feeling-jozy-altidore?autoplay=true

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/17/its-been-long-time-weve-come-behind-win-game-michael-bradley?autoplay=true

Meanwhile Jordan Hamilton talks about how well dressed he was* in this interview for his birthday:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/03/17/safe-say-its-probably-there-one-my-best-birthdays-jordan-hamilton?autoplay=true

*This is in fact a joke on my part, but he does look snazzy

3 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

Do we even know what caused this whole situation to start?

There's one rumour I've heard that he took a swing (but missed) at Vanney, while another rumour was something along the lines of Van Der Wiel telling Vanney that he shouldn't care whether he (VDW) tries hard or not because Vanney will be fired before the end of the year anyway.

A third rumour, that I'm just inventing now on the spot, is that Vanney took Herdman's recommendation to write a letter to everyone on the team before the season began, but missed sending one to Van Der Wiel. Compounding this was that Zavaleta ended up getting two letters from Vanney, one which said "Dear Erik" and the other which said "Dear Nephew", which Van Der Wiel found out about and took even greater exception to, which led to the altercation in question.

On a more serious note, when I re-watched all of TFC's Champions League matches from a year ago recently, I was reminded again of the shootout where Bradley, Giovinco, Delgado, Auro and all the Canucks (Osorio, Chapman, Hamilton & Morgan) are arm in arm showing the traditional team spirit and unity that teams do during shoot-outs while Aketxe and Van Der Wiel are standing separately on their own. Everyone commented on the Aketxe part of that strange-looking scene (and he didn't last much longer) but nobody that I recall picked up on Van Der Wiel also standing aloof and on his own to the side. Vanney said that he was a distraction in the locker room last season and I wonder if that was an early sign that we all didn't pick up on.....

Edited by Gian-Luca

43 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

There's one rumour I've heard that he took a swing (but missed) at Vanney, while another rumour was something along the lines of Van Der Wiel telling Vanney that he shouldn't care whether he (VDW) tries hard or not because Vanney will be fired before the end of the year anyway.....

A new GM normally wants his own coaching hire, so Vanney probably did look very much like a dead man walking at that point with a stay of execution in place only until a suitable replacement was lined up. Suspect both those things could easily have happened.

It's a real shame this happened, whatever it was. 

Some were disappointed with his play, but I was never one of them. He was never going to come and be the player he was for Ajax and PSG, but we probably got more production from him than Fenerbache or Cagliari ever did. I really liked his versatility and while he was on TAM wages, they weren't exactly ridiculous at 800k/yr. He was probably a top 10 right back or top 20 centre back in MLS, plus he never looked phased playing against those Liga MX sides, whereas players like Zavaleta, Haugglund and even Moor at times looked outmatched in CCL.

Not a defense of his off the field actions, whatever they were. Just reflecting on how useful he could have been this season if not for his issues.

Edited by Obinna

That style of play works best on a team that has players that regularly try to run in behind. Toronto don’t have that type of player in abundance, but Curtis and Co. are in the market for one. TFC are actively working to make one or two signings using Targeted Allocation Money before the primary transfer window closes on May 7, with Curtis confirming that the club are in the market for at least one winger and potentially a defender.

From MLSsoccer.com

That is what I would do add a winger and a defender. If they just add a one winger you would think he would be a left winger with Deleon playing well on the right. Najar is a right winger I think so he doesn’t make sense. Giancarlo González would be a good pickup for a defender and then go with a South American for the left wing? I miss Jansen its a shame they couldn’t extend his loan or fit him on the cap. 

4 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

That style of play works best on a team that has players that regularly try to run in behind. Toronto don’t have that type of player in abundance, but Curtis and Co. are in the market for one. TFC are actively working to make one or two signings using Targeted Allocation Money before the primary transfer window closes on May 7, with Curtis confirming that the club are in the market for at least one winger and potentially a defender.

From MLSsoccer.com

That is what I would do add a winger and a defender. If they just add a one winger you would think he would be a left winger with Deleon playing well on the right. Najar is a right winger I think so he doesn’t make sense. Giancarlo González would be a good pickup for a defender and then go with a South American for the left wing? I miss Jansen its a shame they couldn’t extend his loan or fit him on the cap. 

LA Galaxy are reportedly in discussions with Giancarlo González, who cannot be obtained without the number 1 spot in the allocation order.