TFC 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

Anyone else find it weird that TFC just dealt away their 1 spot in the allocation order for a 2020 1st round draft pick & number 2 in the order, allowing the Galaxy to sign Costa Rican international centre back Giancarlo Gonzalez from Bolonga, the team owned by Joey Saputo (who happens to own the Montreal Impact - Toronto's biggest rival)?

I assume Gonzalez didn't want to come to Toronto or we want someone else. So we're getting a 1st rounder to let LA get this player and now we are back at the top of the order, sounds like a good deal to me.

30 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I assume Gonzalez didn't want to come to Toronto or we want someone else. So we're getting a 1st rounder to let LA get this player and now we are back at the top of the order, sounds like a good deal to me.

Aside from the irony that he plays the position we really need help in, I guess for me it's the fact we helped another team strengthen in exchange for nothing more than a draft pick. Couldn't we have gotten more? It feels like we were kinda doing LA a solid here for very little in return. I guess at least they build up some social currency with Galaxy which could be useful in the future....

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Aside from the irony that he plays the position we really need help in, I guess for me it's the fact we helped another team strengthen in exchange for nothing more than a draft pick. Couldn't we have gotten more? It feels like we were kinda doing LA a solid here for very little in return. I guess at least they build up some social currency with Galaxy which could be useful in the future....

We got that spot for Nick Hagglund. I don't think we can expect much more just to swap the top allocation spots.

55 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

We got that spot for Nick Hagglund. I don't think we can expect much more just to swap the top allocation spots.

I suppose. However, didn't Ali Curtis say he's interested in 3 to 5 players, but they may not have the enough in the budget for some of them? Perhaps we should have exchanged for cash instead? I get that may not have been possible, as Galaxy had to deal TAM to move up to begin with, and a draft pick is better than nothing, but in today's MLS it will likely amount to nothing.

Plus, we are helping another team, who could conceivably win MLS cup, get stronger. It's not only TFC getting something for nothing, it is also TFC giving LA something very significant (Giancarlo Gonzalez). 

Not the end of the world, of course, but a move I thought never had to happen and hope it doesn't come back to bite us later in the season when we play Galaxy.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Maybe in the summer window Matt miazga wants to return to MLS. He's got the ny red bull's Ali Curtis connection. 

Just now, Mikmacdo said:

Maybe in the summer window Matt miazga wants to return to MLS. He's got the ny red bull's Ali Curtis connection. 

Maybe, but isn't he under contract at Chelsea? If so, loan would be the most realistic option. But then, do we really want to burn the no. 1 allocation spot on a loan player? Forget a transfer fee for Miazga, that won't happen.

30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe, but isn't he under contract at Chelsea? If so, loan would be the most realistic option. But then, do we really want to burn the no. 1 allocation spot on a loan player? Forget a transfer fee for Miazga, that won't happen.

His contract expires may 31st. 

2 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

His contract expires may 31st. 

Thanks, that certainly make it more plausable. I assume the Championship is done at that point. Doesn't the MLS window close before the 31st? If so, they'd have to wait until the summer.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Plus, we are helping another team, who could conceivably win MLS cup, get stronger. It's not only TFC getting something for nothing, it is also TFC giving LA something very significant (Giancarlo Gonzalez). 

Not the end of the world, of course, but a move I thought never had to happen and hope it doesn't come back to bite us later in the season when we play Galaxy.

If we were blocking another team from getting a quality player through this mechanism the league would probably step in and mediate a settlement. The deal would have got done one way or another.

36 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

If we were blocking another team from getting a quality player through this mechanism the league would probably step in and mediate a settlement. The deal would have got done one way or another.

I imagine thats what happened.  TFC didnt have Gonzalez as their target for that #1 spot so MLS facilitated a deal so that the galaxy wouldnt be blocked from signing a big name to help the league.  These picks for back up CB, TAM money and draft picks arent going to make or break anyone.  It seems like more slimy back room MLS roster "rules", that dont mean much at all.  

And can we stop the speculating about USMNT players.  Havnt we done enough charity work for them?  I cant remember what we are paying Boyd but its probably twice what he is worth.  Why would we bring Miazga in?  Its a big world out there, let the US clubs repatriate the US players, lets get some bang for our buck.  

46 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I imagine thats what happened.  TFC didnt have Gonzalez as their target for that #1 spot so MLS facilitated a deal so that the galaxy wouldnt be blocked from signing a big name to help the league.  These picks for back up CB, TAM money and draft picks arent going to make or break anyone.  It seems like more slimy back room MLS roster "rules", that dont mean much at all.  

I'm sure you are both correct unfortunately and it really is silly because if the league is going to step in and help a team circumvent the allocation rules, why have those rules in the first place?

Edited by Obinna

TFC played very well at times in the 3-2 loss.  Zavaleta was taken off at half after a very shaky start.  Ciman played well except for one useless slide tackle.  Delbado has a couple of really nice touches and about a half a dozen horrible ones.  Please for the love of God start Chapman.  Chapman came off the bench with good energy and looked dangerous.  Pozuelo and Jozy hook up for 2 goals and Pozuelo hit a great strike at the 93rd that forced Frei into a great save.  Ciman also drilled one off the post in added time.

9 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

TFC played very well at times in the 3-2 loss.  Zavaleta was taken off at half after a very shaky start.  Ciman played well except for one useless slide tackle.  Delbado has a couple of really nice touches and about a half a dozen horrible ones.  Please for the love of God start Chapman.  Chapman came off the bench with good energy and looked dangerous.  Pozuelo and Jozy hook up for 2 goals and Pozuelo hit a great strike at the 93rd that forced Frei into a great save.  Ciman also drilled one off the post in added time.

Ciman and Delgado were...not good imo

Edited by mpg_29

I didn’t see all of the game due to the Raptors but Delgado was awful from what I saw. They need to sign a winger and put Osorio beside Bradley and that should improve the team. Sure they gave up 3 goals but what do you expect at Seattle missing half of the back four. 

Auro is underrated and will be back next game. Hopefully Moor isn’t out too long. They need to sign a CB. I thought Westburg looked better than Bono, he could have maybe stopped the last goal but Bono probably would have fell over trying to stop it. 

Ali is in South America hopefully getting the Menendez deal done. Manning and HErnandez are in Europe meeting with Giovincos agent. GET SOMETHING DONE SOON!. 

17 minutes ago, Big_M said:

His balls are too predictable, slow or inaccurate..but mistake was to give him so much money and make him a tam player..too much for what he brings

He has 1 goal and what 3 or 4 assist this year? A point a game is pretty solid for a TAM player. Hes also not playing where he should be so be patient. He earned that pay raise last season, at least give him a full season before you say he is overpaid. 

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

Has plenty of experience on wings and should be playing there a good portion of the time with pozuelo present..in any case getting these balls wrong doesnt have to do with position but simply execution

Osorio has never played well on the wing. He isn’t a winger. There are plenty of problems way bigger than Osorio right now.