TFC 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

And another thing, I am okay with no signing Omar Gonzalez right now. 

Yes, he would have injected some quality on the backline. Yes, he has winning experience in MLS.....

That's all well and good, but if you are turning over the ball in bad areas, you are still adding stress to your defense. That's the underlying issue at the moment and that is why I think the priority for TFC is to stop with the turnovers. Adding a starting quality CB is treating the symptom, not the disease.

To do that, I think the team needs different players in the midfield and forward spots, plain and simple.

Altidore, Pozuelo, Bradley, Osorio are not the problem. Chapman, DeLeon, Delgado and Fraser are all serviceable. Akinola and Hamilton are fine back ups. 

That said, they need at least two Janson-esque players. I am talking about direct players who will take defenders on and use their pace to get in behind.

I love pass and move football, but that's all this group has. It is fun to watch until you make a mistake, then it isn't so much fun when you are picking the ball out of the back of your net, is it? 

I thought Deleon looked good on the wing but has looked more and more average as the season has gone on.  I havnt caught much TFC2 this season, is there any guys that fit the direct/attacker mold down there?  Luca Petrasso..Shaffleburg??  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I thought Deleon looked good on the wing but has looked more and more average as the season has gone on.  I havnt caught much TFC2 this season, is there any guys that fit the direct/attacker mold down there?  Luca Petrasso..Shaffleburg??  

Deleon is too slow and cant put the ball in the net enough to be an attacking winger. He should backup Auro and see spot minutes where hes playing now. He has 1 goal in how many games? Wingers these days need to be able to score. 

Shaffleburg needs more time, I wonder if they could loan him to Halifax for the second half of the season so TFC can see how he does vs a higher level of competition. 

I wonder if there is a winger they could trade for that’s in MLS currently, I think they can make trades outside of the transfer window. 

Akinola is called to the US U20 team who play 3 games from May 24th to May 31st, and possibly more into June if they get out of their group. I assume that Akinola will be gone after the game on the 18th against RSL, so if Altidore is not back by then, that leaves us with Hamilton and Boyd as the only two healthy strikers, one of whom has had non-existent production so far.

So I am thinking that the two possible homegrown signings could be Shaffelburg (since they need wingers) and Jayden Nelson as they will need someone else who can play up top. If KC can give first team minutes to Busio, then why not TFC to Nelson? Busio is only a few months older but has been playing first team for KC since last season. What's more, let's consider that if Altidore gets back to health, he's probably gone again in June for the Gold Cup.

Good plan, Shaffleburg looked good in preseason and in the few USL-1 games I have seen this year.  And why not Nelsen, or maybe even Perruza??  I do think that Altidore will miraculously be healed by the time he is needed (late May/June), and wont be called by USA for the gold cup.  

Thought laryea had a solid game. Got forward well and looked dangerous at the same time kept track of their wing for the most part. Had some great tackles and dispossesions inside his box and around when they were attacking.

A pleasant surprise in comparison to the dumpster fire that is ciman. I simply cannot believe this is the same player that first came to Canada and for me looked like one of the best in the league. 

Nice to see Fraser, Morgan and Chapman getting more minutes. Laryea was the standout Canadian for me though. 

22 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Akinola is called to the US U20 team who play 3 games from May 24th to May 31st, and possibly more into June if they get out of their group. I assume that Akinola will be gone after the game on the 18th against RSL, so if Altidore is not back by then, that leaves us with Hamilton and Boyd as the only two healthy strikers, one of whom has had non-existent production so far.

So I am thinking that the two possible homegrown signings could be Shaffelburg (since they need wingers) and Jayden Nelson as they will need someone else who can play up top. If KC can give first team minutes to Busio, then why not TFC to Nelson? Busio is only a few months older but has been playing first team for KC since last season. What's more, let's consider that if Altidore gets back to health, he's probably gone again in June for the Gold Cup.

TFC have to be very careful with how they develop Jayden going forward. He is a massive prospect, probably the best Canadian since Davies. While I would love to see him get minutes in MLS they have to do what's right for his LT development. Perhaps others did but I did not hear much about Jayden before this year ....Playing in TO can be difficult. Would not be against him playing a lot for TFC 2,  training with the first team and getting some late game subs with the senior team this season. Just hope he does not sign a contract with multiple club options. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:26 PM, Obinna said:

Only watched part of the first half, but Fraser looked pretty good out there next to Bradley. It looked like he was actually further up the field on occasion as well. I see no reason why he shouldn't start cutting into Delgado's minutes sooner or later. He basically serves the same purpose as Marky, but looks more able to win challenges, though perhaps slightly less mobile. Delgado, for all his faults, does really get around the park really well).

Fraser has really strong possession and distribution skills but his mobility and positioning issues were pretty glaring on too many occasions.  He reminds me of Marty Nash.  Delgado's possession passing isn't going to get much better.  I'd like to see a different player emerge in that spot of the field (Cheyrou was a real treat) going forward.

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Fraser has really strong possession and distribution skills but his mobility and positioning issues were pretty glaring on too many occasions.  He reminds me of Marty Nash.  Delgado's possession passing isn't going to get much better.  I'd like to see a different player emerge in that spot of the field (Cheyrou was a real treat) going forward.

Okello??  

Last night was painful to watch. TFC need more direct players. Everyone wants to pass and move and wait until the perfect moment opens up.

I agree with Vanney's assessment, hesitation is taking hold when you wait for the right moment to shoot. Sometimes, you just need a player willing to try something audacious. Pozuelo is Mr. Audacious, but he's primarily a set up guy. His talent is being wasted out there without having someone who can put the ball into the back of the net.

Perhaps TFC needs another striker who can play with Jozy? Someone good enough that he can be the number 1 guy on a night Jozy isn't healthy. But someone also different than Jozy, perhaps someone more in the mold of Juan Agudelo. I know, not the most inspiring name, but you gotta be realistic. You're not going to bring in another DP level player right now. Why keep pissing away time in Argentina to no avail? This is a guy who knows the league and scores in the league and can play out wide if need be.

Anyways, if it's as frustrating for the players as it is for the fans, I really feel bad for these guys.

I'd be surprised if anyone could've done anything as a lone striker against DC United last night.  Hamilton was just swallowed up by the six man backline they had.  He needed someone else up there to help create space.  Probably should've sacrificed Delgado for another striker much earlier last night. 

Looks like Hamilton, Osorio and Morgan get the start today.  Would have liked to see Chapman or Frasier in for Delgado, but what do I know?  Hamilton has to have a better game (snakebit on wed night), if he can make things happen up front it might just win over Vanney for when Altidore comes back and cement him in the #2 spot.  Its not like Boyd has done ANYTHING positive in MLS this year.  

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Boyd has been a zero unfortunately.  If we were getting an aging national teamr we should have just kept Ricketts.  Delgado is good for 2-3 significant screw ups per game.  I would rather see Chapman in the midfield, especially with Bradley back in cover.

I like watching Delgado most of the time but sometimes he’s the most frustrating player too.  

Chapman doesn’t have his pace and flair but I think he’s more careful with the ball.

TFC is really digging themselves a hole this year.  They have to figure something out soon.

Brutal to watch.  I hope several players get the "hairdryer" treatment before next game.  Or better yet just ride the pine.  Very lackluster, there didnt seem to be much energy out there from about half the squad.  I get it, a dozen matches in 15 days but jeepers show some heart.  If that was all Delgado and Bradley had left in the tank, why not start Frasier and Chapman.  At least they would have been hungry and worked hard for more minutes.  Didnt Bradley prove last year he isnt a start every game guy anymore.

Hamilton wasted a few good chances but at least he was getting them.  Altidore didnt do any better when he came on, once Pozuela went out it seemed like chapman was the only one wanting to go forward.     

It was funny to listen to Caldwell complain about having no cap room.  Why is that I wonder??  Is VDW wages still counted on the cap?  And why are we paying Zav and Delgado 260 and 230??  I dont even want to know what they are paying Ciman, Boyd or even Deleon.  I dont think they dont have cap room to make any really good moves in July.    

They have plenty of money to spend. I dont know where the cap room bs came from. Maybe they couldnt fit in janson under tam but they shouldnt have had tunnel vision on janson and omar. They need more than one wide player anyway. They could have got ivey from panama or someone like that for cheap. 

A bad day at the office yesterday, there's been a few of those lately! Definitely the team looks tired, isn't that what squad rotation is about though, there seems to be players who are on good money who aren't really contributing, Boyd and Deleon come to mind and as long as Zavaletta is starting in the defence there are bound to be issues! Hamilton was isolated for the most part but must start taking his chances if he wants to stay on the pitch, Morgan played ok considering his lack of game time, Osorio was steady if not unspectacular, Chapman was a nice spark when he came in, I really think he needs to play more! The squad seems unbalanced now with huge defensive issues, I'm not sure how this cap space and all these other MLS rules work, Vanney has to do a better job with what he has!

3 hours ago, gator said:

Vanney has to do a better job with what he has!

Agreed.  Unfortunately we are starting to see his competence when things are more challenging.  Talent is usually the obvious divider and is proven year in and out in the big 5 where the same teams win 95% of the time.  Now that his major talent is gone, and in aleague where there is some level of parity with the salary cap, coaching takes on a greater significance and Vanney has disappointed.  We are still a talented team even without Gio but we look dreadful at times.  If we miss the playoffs I could see our all time win leader being let go.

That game was always going to likely be a loss given the ridiculous schedule of playing on a Wednesday night in Toronto and then across the continent at altitude first thing in the afternoon on Saturday- but Vanney made it worse by not doing enough squad rotation. Auro and Delgado clearly had nothing left in the tank and should have been replaced by Laryea and Chapman respectively, though I would have taken Fraser instead of Delgado and played an inverted triangle (with two at the base and one at the top) rather than the current midfield set up where Delgado is playing an more of an advanced attacking role on the right which he can’t do effectively when he is full of energy, never mind when he is clearly tired. Three games on a row they have tried a three man midfield with Delgado in that role (not counting the Atlanta game) where they have scored one goal and none open play. I see Altidore was even admonishing his crappy passing yesterday, picking up where Giovinco left off. That isn’t a role Delagado is good at and if he is too tired to play his high energy game on the middle then you might as well play players who can pass the ball better (both Chapman and Fraser fit here). 

As for Auro he had a great game on Weds but he is at fault for too many goals against recently, no need to start him three times in a week when Laryea has done well and arguably better defensively even though he is still learning the position. Auro and Zavalera have been somewhat of a defensive disaster paired together on the right. 

Edited by Gian-Luca

Its hard to watch this team as it is. The formation isnt working at all for this roster. 

Deleon and osorio arent wingers. Three at the back is ok but then zavaletta gets on the field. 

I would play a 3-4-1-2

---Ciman moor mavinga

Auro bradley osorio morrow

------------Pozuelo

------Altidore Hamilton

Hamilton isnt nearly as bad up front in a 2. No one is out of position like pozuelo playing forward. Delgado goes to the bench where he belongs. Auro is better up the field. Hopefully ciman and mavinga are back on Sunday. Put chapman in pozuelos role sunday. 

On 5/20/2019 at 1:23 PM, Mikmacdo said:

Its hard to watch this team as it is. The formation isnt working at all for this roster. 

Deleon and osorio arent wingers. Three at the back is ok but then zavaletta gets on the field. 

I would play a 3-4-1-2

---Ciman moor mavinga

Auro bradley osorio morrow

------------Pozuelo

------Altidore Hamilton

Hamilton isnt nearly as bad up front in a 2. No one is out of position like pozuelo playing forward. Delgado goes to the bench where he belongs. Auro is better up the field. Hopefully ciman and mavinga are back on Sunday. Put chapman in pozuelos role sunday. 

I was waching Pozuelo closely last Wednesday and have to agree with you. He's not a striker and he keeps drifting into the midfield and crowds Osorio or Delgado creating a logjam of players in midfield. He should drop back to AM role and insert someone else up front.