TFC 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Very tough game to sit through.  We have dominated Seattle for 3 championships and lost 2.  It was a great playoff run and what I thought would have happened last year if we/Vanney had not destroyed our regular season

Seattle won two out of those three, so regardless of "how" the TFC played, Seattle proved themselves to be better - more "clutch," more "chutzpah," more "desire," and all the other ridiculous descriptors.

Let it not be lost that the TFC finished ninth(they had a GD that was ONE better than DC), and had an average season.  And then they won two games away and are in the running for best team of 2019.  Herein lies that problem with playoffs, that they not only devalue the regular season, but they mislead fans into thinking who the best team is.

And while I'm here, Seattle was only six points better.  It's a disaster in my opinion that LAFC is going to be considered a failure this season simply because they didn't win in the playoffs.  They set the record for points in a season, but will be an afterthought. 

Laryea is usually more potent as a right back and he wasn't playing that spot last night as Auro was still on the field. When he plays further up the field, the opposition seems to be able to stick more guys against him (and he usually doesn't have another player making the overlapping runs for him that he makes for other players).

In the end the team did better than I think anyone was expecting in what started out as a re-building year, but that lack of depth at striker position is ultimately why they weren't champions, even though I agree that they have now outplayed Seattle in 3 MLS Cups but only came away with one them. Need to use that open DP slot on another attacker methinks.

It was a frustrating game to watch, they would do a good job working the ball down the wings, but then there was no one in the middle to try and get the ball to. When Altidore came on, it looked like he wasn't ready but they had no other ideas. 

It's just sad that they controlled the game until that deflected goal and then just couldn't find a way back in.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 12:31 PM, Obinna said:

I've been saying this over and over that Toronto need a goalscorer who can play wide and through the middle.

Jonathan David?

Just kidding.

For real though. That is what the team needs. Someone who can play both spots. 

For a TFC perspective he'd be great. From a Jonathan David and CMNT perspective let's hope that doesn't happen. He can get better staying in Europe where the best players are. 

43 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

TFC pick up former USA international Juan Agudelo in the Entry draft phase 2, hopefully TFC can negotiate a lower salary, last year he made $604,999.92  

Great pick up by TFC. Hopefully they can get that salary down a bit.

He can play as the CF in Jozy's absence and otherwise provide a solid wide forward option.

Good move TFC!

11 minutes ago, Big_M said:

gotta bring that salary a lot lower..close to 10 years in mls and never able to break out..3 goals 4 assists in 2018 and 3 goals 2 assists in 2019

He also scored 7 in 2015, 7 in 2016 and 8 in 2017. Those are pretty consistent numbers.

I don't know what happened in 2018, but last year he was sometimes used as a holding midfielder by Bruce Arena. 

Not saying he is worth that much, but he could be a good depth piece for TFC and could be better back up than Patrick Mullins. I say cut him lose.

With Mullins and Moor off the books, there is probably room for Agudelo, even at that number. They should try and bring it down though and probably will.

• 1 month later...