The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

I don’t see the issue.. he can finish but he’s not a renowned finisher so why do we need him close to goal?  I think when we’re playing a team we can hit on the counter then for sure but in a match where the other team is going to sit back playing from deep gives him more space to operate.  As you saw yesterday he may have been “LB” but he wasn’t struggling to get in the box.  In a game like that you want him out wide and you want an overloaded box with our top finishers.. that’s what we did.

Yes I see the reasoning vs a minnow where we need to stretch them vs a likely deep block but Canada is usually not playing against that type of defending.  Its not just his finishing its his creativity and danger on the ball, in that game he really wasn't going to have to work to defend but going forward if he plays fullback against better competition we are going to be getting the opposite effect, we are going to allow teams to attack more and push us back as well as having our best attacking and creative threat doing work defending.  There is a reason Ronaldo, Messi and all the other best attackers aren't tasked with defending, there are others who can defend just as good but there aren't others who can do what they can do in the attack and on the ball, so specializing and conserving their energy for attacking is the best thing for the team, and that goes without saying that it also causes teams to play and defend deeper which helps your defense.  

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

Let’s hope!  On a home pitch I think that could be deadly.  The goal should be to surpass this latest result.. even if Dominica is a bit better.

Would be wild to see Hutchinson added as where would he even go?  Millar’s spot at RWB? 

Also isn’t it odd that our biggest results have been away but at home the most damage we’ve done is 4-0?  (In the last 20 years at least).  I hope these young guys can put on a show.

Hutch would be a shoe in for Piette methinks

10 hours ago, El Diego said:

Millar started at RB (nominally). It's impossible to say what Herdman plans to do going forward with real matches, but we do know that he'll play fantasy lineups against amateur sides. I would be extremely surprised to see Davies at LB against an actual team.

He's often moved to LB for VWFC, and I could see him being put in a Lt Wingback roll for the CMNT... not that I think that would be a good thing though. JH is in a tough spot with respect to selections in that he's got a glut of attacking talent he probably wants to get on the pitch, and few options at LB/RB respectively... hence he might consider moving Phonzie and Millar to wing back roles... again not saying I agree with this, and think our best attackers should be in their best positions, even if it means sitting a top player or two, but what the f@#% do I know right. haha  

On 9/7/2018 at 4:21 PM, Macksam said:

I'm not trying to be the bad guy here. I'm just trying to give another view to these things and I may rub people the wrong way, which I will take some ownership of.

I consider everyone here my brother, my Voyageurs brothers you all are to me. It's hard (will hopefully change in the near future) finding other people who are as passionate about Canadian soccer as all of us.

@Bertuzzi44@RS@Grizzly@Unnamed Trialist@villus@Keegan@Obinna@Oranje@El Hombre@SpursFlu@Jahinho Guerro

Way to lump me in with these cretins ?

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Wonder if this will be worth something one day...

DnF2SJqV4AAmqp4.jpg

I was at a card store recently and asked about rookie cards. Guy behind the counter pulls out a stack of Wayne greyzky and Brett hull rookie cards. Says she sells them for 5 bucks each. 

So no, it won't be actually worth anything 

2 hours ago, nazzer said:

I was at a card store recently and asked about rookie cards. Guy behind the counter pulls out a stack of Wayne greyzky and Brett hull rookie cards. Says she sells them for 5 bucks each. 

https://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/player/Wayne_Gretzky/nhl-hockey-cards/1979-80-topps-wayne-gretzky-18-rookie-sgc-92-nm-mt-85.html?sku=6857123&utm_source=SportsMem_PLA&utm_medium=cse&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjJun5Pi73QIVi8VkCh24BA5REAQYAiABEgLlmPD_BwE

Ehhh Wayne Gretzky rookie card in good shape still has a lot of value.  

Edited by villus

41 minutes ago, villus said:

Who wants to figure out about how much money you would have had to spend to get that card back in the day (I’m assuming you would have been buying a complete set or near that), and how much money you would have today if you used that money to invest in the stock market back then instead of getting the card.

17 minutes ago, Kent said:

Who wants to figure out about how much money you would have had to spend to get that card back in the day (I’m assuming you would have been buying a complete set or near that), and how much money you would have today if you used that money to invest in the stock market back then instead of getting the card.

The cards that are valuable are from a time when people weren't buying complete sets and it wasn't viewed as an investment, kids bought packs and they were rare.  That card was worth a ton in the early 90's and still holds a lot of value, hockey cards were a mini bubble in the early 90's just like comics, but then it got overcooked.  Nowadays I doubt there is any value in player cards of any sport, but the old baseball and hockey cards before prices blew up still probably have a ton of value to certain people.  I still remember having a bunch of Eric Lindros rookie and OHL cards because everyone thought the cycle would repeat itself, not worth anything now. 

Edited by villus

2 hours ago, nazzer said:

Please PM me the name of the card store where they have a stack of Gretzky rookies that they sell for $5...

59 minutes ago, villus said:

I know a guy who has that exact card signed.. I wonder what that’s worth?  

I have memorabilia, like signatures of hockey greats from the 60s, and you go online--they are worth very little. Maybe because there are a lot of fakes. Also because they signed thousands of things, Geordie Howe came to the North Van Rec Centre in 68 and we all got a signed card. I still remember Geordie Howe signing that card.

I also have Vancouver Grizzlies stuff, a cap from the first year signed by the whole team. It is not worth much, don't think.

My brother had a bunch of old cards from the 50s and 60s.  He sold some of them and bought a boat.  

Yes, there was a glut of cards in the 90s and beyond that killed the collector value of most individual cards, but that didn't impact the value of older cards that are still genuinely rare and sought after.  The idea that Gretzky rookies are worthless is BS.  And ironically, signed cards are sometimes worth less because of authenticy doubts.

As for Davies rookie, it won't be worth a ton, but it would be cool as hell to own (a few months ago I was looking at them on eBay).  That card is from a less sought after league, and a player that probably doesn't have as much appeal to some as he does to us.  Plus his card comes from an era where collectors accumulate cards strategically, which means they will never be as rare as the days when kids stuck them in bike spokes.

16 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

My brother had a bunch of old cards from the 50s and 60s.  He sold some of them and bought a boat.  

Yes, there was a glut of cards in the 90s and beyond that killed the collector value of most individual cards, but that didn't impact the value of older cards that are still genuinely rare and sought after.  The idea that Gretzky rookies are worthless is BS.  And ironically, signed cards are sometimes worth less because of authenticy doubts.

As for Davies rookie, it won't be worth a ton, but it would be cool as hell to own (a few months ago I was looking at them on eBay).  That card is from a less sought after league, and a player that probably doesn't have as much appeal to some as he does to us.  Plus his card comes from an era where collectors accumulate cards strategically, which means they will never be as rare as the days when kids stuck them in bike spokes.

I think the end of your post explains the beginning. There could very well be worthless Gretzky rookie cards, if they aren’t in good condition. Maybe the 5 dollar ones were in someone’s bike spokes.

As for the earlier response (by @villus) to my question, I know the idea of buying a complete set in a one off purchase didn’t exist then. That’s why I was saying “a complete set or near that”. It was an unreasonable ask, but the idea being you would have likely had to buy 30 or 50 or whatever packs, at whatever cost per pack, to reasonably expect to get Gretzky.

I was the prime age to be a chump for the trading card craze of the 90’s, but luckily I didn’t have any money to spend (we weren’t poor, but I didn’t get an allowance, and didn’t have a job). But I remember finding out you could buy a complete set and wondered what the hell the point was then. I can’t be certain but I feel like I had the idea (or probably my dad told me) that if anyone can just buy all the cards, then there isn’t really any rare cards, so you can’t expect to make thousands of dollars decades later.

9 hours ago, Kent said:

I think the end of your post explains the beginning. There could very well be worthless Gretzky rookie cards, if they aren’t in good condition. Maybe the 5 dollar ones were in someone’s bike spokes.

As for the earlier response (by @villus) to my question, I know the idea of buying a complete set in a one off purchase didn’t exist then. That’s why I was saying “a complete set or near that”. It was an unreasonable ask, but the idea being you would have likely had to buy 30 or 50 or whatever packs, at whatever cost per pack, to reasonably expect to get Gretzky.

I was the prime age to be a chump for the trading card craze of the 90’s, but luckily I didn’t have any money to spend (we weren’t poor, but I didn’t get an allowance, and didn’t have a job). But I remember finding out you could buy a complete set and wondered what the hell the point was then. I can’t be certain but I feel like I had the idea (or probably my dad told me) that if anyone can just buy all the cards, then there isn’t really any rare cards, so you can’t expect to make thousands of dollars decades later.

Not to belabour it, but...

The original point was that Davies' rookie card won't be worth anything because rookie cards are generally worthless.  That isn't about a dog-eared beat up card - it is a general statement that cards are pretty worthless.  But it simply isn't true - the $5 Gretzky rookie is a myth.  And I am happy to be proven wrong by being given the name of the guy who will sell me the card for less that 1% of its value.

Second, and finally, even a beat up rookie of the great one is worth more than $5.  I would happily buy every copy the guy has.

To put it in perspective, Gretzky was a rookie in '78, long before the card explosion.  Brett Hull was a rookie in '86, at the front end of when everyone else was collecting.  They are very different situation.  A $5 Hull card is plausible.  A $5 Gretzky rookie simply is not.

Edited by dyslexic nam

Another loss for Vancouver tonight vs FC Dallas at Home 

5 Games left in the whitecaps schedule to the regular season, sitting 8th Place in the standings and 4pts behind on the playoff chase

Should they not qualify you wonder if the chances increase that Davies will be at the U-20 CONCACAF Championship in November 

I can’t find a reason why he shouldn’t be there if Robbo and company have nothing to play for after their Oct 28th match against Portland 

He isn’t expected to join Bayern until January and of course why would Herdman call him up to the Senior side knowing how important this tournament is 

Edited by Thomas