The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was just saying that England can be England without a monarchy to sing to.

How about this one: did the Germans have very bad aim when they bombed Liverpool to hell, or were they actually fighting another country ?

Just having fun. I really don't mind West Ham and am amused, as I probably mentioned here, that there are quite a few Hammers shirts around, I think tourists to London buy them. They are a kind of go to without having to support teams we hate. Or else that slight suggestion of Barça colours. 

Well they don't sing Jerusalem either, the prefered anthem of anti-monarchy Englishmen - from a great anti-monarchy Englishman. 

And the wink was an indication of me having fun, as well. But of course you are Liverpool. 

There is a big Barcelona Hammers supporters group, I have seen them at games when they made the trip. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I generally don’t watch much Bayern when Davies isn’t playing, but how had Guerrero been so much more offensively potent than Davies this year? Just picked up an assist- his second champions league assist along with 3 goals this year. 

Guerrero has been playing midfield for Bayern the past few games including both legs against Arsenal, so he tends to be in the middle of the park and further up the field than Davies. In fact, we might as well be comparing Davies to Goretzka. Mazroui played in Davies spot, then was replaced by Kim for the past portion of the match. 

45 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Well they don't sing Jerusalem either, the prefered anthem of anti-monarchy Englishmen - from a great anti-monarchy Englishman. 

And the wink was an indication of me having fun, as well. But of course you are Liverpool. 

There is a big Barcelona Hammers supporters group, I have seen them at games when they made the trip. 

I was curious why the Manchester City fans were singing Hey Jude so much when it’s a song by a band from Liverpool and Bellingham was playing for Madrid against them, not for them. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

At Anfield they play the canned music too loudly anyways, instead of letting them go a capella. At least used to be the case. A bit sacrilege to not let them just sing. Whatever they want. 

In MLS if you've noticed there's lot's of stadiums that blast music for goals and you can't even enjoy the sound of fans celebrating. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

What if you're a non-Christian republican? What do you sing then?

35 minutes ago, gator said:

Is there such a thing?🤣

That's a small r republican, as in supporting the abolition of monarchy, not a Republican in the deranged, American sense. I'm a staunch republican, both in Australia and Canada. I am constantly in disbelief that otherwise intelligent people are happy to demean themselves in order to elevate the degenerate cunts of the House of Windsor to a status that they have in no fucking way earned. If the British want to do it, let them. Canada and Australia need to fuck them off, quick.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Bayern vs Madrid....Davies get's his "audition" and loses in the semi-finals before joining Real next year.
PSG vs Dortmund....PSG easily will go through, and Mbappe will get a proper PSG send-off.

Playing Madrid, they are always showing superior competitive edge. Really, City dominated but without speed, or edginess or using the crowd to drive them to another level. Pep doesn't like anarchy and there are times you need anarchic players, guys who feel free to make mistakes.

If Tuchel reigns in his talent instead of letting it run free, they'll lose. They need to give Kimmich some help, and hope Kane has a big night. Hoping Davies plays but hoping it's meaningful (NB, Madrid has no significant attack down their right, Davies's side).

In the other semi, PSG is not a really good team. A weak, poorly coached Barça had them dead in the water, two goals up and playing with them, Mbappe neutralized, until a stupid red card on Tuesday. We threw it away. They don't have the level of competition in France and if you look, they don't have a great midfield, then they don't work that hard on defense. Donnarumma is not a great keeper at all. I think Dortmund could surprise.

12 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

That's a small r republican, as in supporting the abolition of monarchy, not a Republican in the deranged, American sense. I'm a staunch republican, both in Australia and Canada. I am constantly in disbelief that otherwise intelligent people are happy to demean themselves in order to elevate the degenerate cunts of the House of Windsor to a status that they have in no fucking way earned. If the British want to do it, let them. Canada and Australia need to fuck them off, quick.

Aotearoa New Zealand as well!

53 minutes ago, Shway said:

Bayern vs Madrid....Davies get's his "audition" and loses in the semi-finals before joining Real next year.
PSG vs Dortmund....PSG easily will go through, and Mbappe will get a proper PSG send-off.

Or Bayern upset Madrid, with Davies starring and convincing Real to making the deal happen. Then....Re-match of the 2019-20 final PSG vs Bayern. 

Bayern have been begging me to cheer against them, but with Davies now in the SF again I gotta root for him to add to his trophy cabinet. 

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

Didn't watch the game, but I thought it Guerreiro in midfield and Mazraoui playing LB...

Yeah both Gnabry and Coman are injured, so Guerreiro was the winger on that side and it was Mazrouri with his beard and gloves playing leftback. 

I also think that's why Davies got minutes on the wing in the league. 

9 hours ago, GasPed said:

Didn't watch the game, but I thought it Guerreiro in midfield and Mazraoui playing LB...

True (and I actually did watch the game), but I was just trying to make a point: people argued Davies had a nightmare with Saka, then last night, Saka was very quiet and no one at Bayern seemed to have real problems on that side of the Arsenal attack. The point: it is not like Bayern is going to be dazed and confused without Davies, in defense they'll be fine, and in attack, they don't use him anyways.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

15 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm in my sixty's so I do not think I'll see it but I can not wait for us to get rid of the monarchy and become a truly independent country and not swear alligence to a foreign head of state.