CNL - Canada vs Dominica - October 16th Toronto

Admin

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The announcement notes that "Out of town fans can watch the match across Canada on TSN, TSN.ca, and the TSN app, and RDS2 starting at 19.00 ET / 16.00 PT"

As they only note out-of-town, presumably it's blacked out in the GTA, so you'll have to buy tickets. :) (joking ... maybe).

For those that don't have TSN, Concacaf's streaming site (which was very good quality for the last game), still has the match listed, with free access until December -https://www.oz.com/concacafnationsleague/video/b49247dd-8166-4b6d-9587-aa55cf6e82c9

So is this a new (finally) deal with TSN - or just a one-off?

Wow, no Borjan.  I guess Busti will get his shot.  Nice to see Tabla Edgar and Hutch called.  

Canada

Goalkeepers: Simon Thomas, Kongsvinger IL (Norway); James Pantemis, Montreal Impact (MLS); Alessandro Busti, Juventus U-23 (Italy).

Defenders: Zachary Brault-Guillard, Olympique Lyonnais (France); Manjrekar James, FC Fredericia (Denmark); Derek Cornelius, FK Javor Ivanjica (Serbia); David Edgar, Ottawa Fury FC (USL); Doneil Henry, Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS); Ashtone Morgan, Toronto FC (MLS).

Midfielders: Samuel Piette, Montreal Impact (MLS); Russell Teibert, Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS); Scott Arfield, Glasgow Rangers (Scotland); Junior Hoilett, Cardiff City FC (Wales); Alphonso Davies, Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS); Atiba Hutchinson, Besiktas JK (Turkey); Liam Millar, Liverpool FC U-23 (England); Jay Chapman, Toronto FC (MLS); Jonathan Osorio, Toronto FC (MLS); Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla, FC Barcelona B (Spain).

Forwards: Cyle Larin, Besiktas JK (Turkey); Tosaint Ricketts, Toronto FC (MLS); Lucas Cavallini, Puebla FC (Mexico); Jonathan David, KAA Gent (Belgium). 

9 minutes ago, nfitz said:

So is this a new (finally) deal with TSN - or just a one-off?

I don't think it's a new deal. TSN has held the home rights to CSA events and they still do. It's harder for away matches, because you have to buy the rights and sometimes, it isn't worth it for a Canadian network to buy it.

I wish we weren’t so sincere with our press releases all the time.  Like listing our guys as Liverpool, Juventus, Barcelona... u23/B.  The headline “youth players from top clubs” is cringeworthy and doesn’t come off as good to people who don’t get football.

Just put the club! Anytime the USA calls guys from big clubs they put the first team name and don’t put B or U23.  Case in point Josh Sargent is a Werder Bremen II player and Olosunde a Manchester United u23 player... when they had Green at Bayern II they put Bayern.

If some Euro snob gets all pissy about us tip toeing around truth they can write an article (free press). 

Maybe it is just to restrain the hype? Although it is a surprising missed opportunity for classic Herdman spin :) 

Great to see Hutch back. I hope Busti gets the start but who knows. Poor Wotherspoon and Tesho who committed but now probably can't get a game. It is a great sign of where we have come in a few years. 

If we can come out with the cap ties we want and a good goal differential it will be another great building step for the program and Herdmans tenure. 

3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Kind of unrelated, but interesting that there isn't one US based player on this squad.

But Canada Soccer failed to notice in their write up.

”The squad features plenty of skill from professional clubs in Canada, USA, Mexico and across Europe.”

9 hours ago, jonovision said:

Were De Rosario, Gerba, Radzinski and McKenna ever in the same team later in the aughts?

To answer my own question (curiosity was killing me) these 4 were all in the squad for Canada-Mexico in Edmonton in 2008, one of my favourite matches to watch as a Canada supporter. I don't know if they appeared in any squads together for later matches as I didn't check. At the time of the match there were a total of 63 goals in the squad (De Ro 15, Gerba 10, Radz 9, McKenna 9, Stalteri 7, De Guzman 4, Hutchinson 3, Friend 2, Hume 2, Hastings 1, Hainault 1).

That said, this squad that has already piled up 50 or more goals will be at 60 or above at the end of the match, and closer to 100 by this time next year as these Nations League goals pile up.

11 hours ago, jonovision said:

To answer my own question (curiosity was killing me) these 4 were all in the squad for Canada-Mexico in Edmonton in 2008, one of my favourite matches to watch as a Canada supporter. I don't know if they appeared in any squads together for later matches as I didn't check. At the time of the match there were a total of 63 goals in the squad (De Ro 15, Gerba 10, Radz 9, McKenna 9, Stalteri 7, De Guzman 4, Hutchinson 3, Friend 2, Hume 2, Hastings 1, Hainault 1).

That said, this squad that has already piled up 50 or more goals will be at 60 or above at the end of the match, and closer to 100 by this time next year as these Nations League goals pile up.

So we’re going to score 10+ against Dominica?  And another 30+ by next fall in the A division? 

We might be around 70 if all goes well but nowhere near 100.  Away to St Kitts and home to FG we will be lucky to get 8 combined goals. Once we start playing A games and Gold Cup after that we will be lucky to get 2+ a game. 

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

This has to be the most optimistic thing ever posted on this board.

The fact is even possible to state it is astonishing.

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

Satisfied with the squad against another minor opponent, but are we ever going to see Hainault / Straith again? They're playing at an arguably higher level then Edgar IMO. 

I honestly think it's because they're too far away for a back up center back.

17 hours ago, Kent said:

But Canada Soccer failed to notice in their write up.

”The squad features plenty of skill from professional clubs in Canada, USA, Mexico and across Europe.”

That indicates that a late change to the roster was made, but the write-up wasn't altered to reflect the change.

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

Satisfied with the squad against another minor opponent, but are we ever going to see Hainault / Straith again? They're playing at an arguably higher level then Edgar IMO. 

Straith, Hainault, Vitoria have never been to Herdman camp.  Not sure what's going on there as CB is the one place we need depth. 

Hainault is 32, and has had his chances with us in multiple cycles, so I can live with his exclusion. 

Straith is only 28, and despite his limitations, was solid in WCQ.  I trust him not to screw up more than Henry or James.

Vitoria is 31, usually but not always starts for his club, is (arguably) playing at the highest level of any of our defenders, and has never had a run of games to show what he can do in Concacaf.   

Another absentee is Will Johnson, 31, who declined the call up for the New Zealand game.  A regular starter in MLS, was our best player in our biggest win of the last WCQ cycle, is versatile, experienced and leads by example.  Has not played for Canada since the Curacao game in 2017.  Perhaps he is the odd man out in a packed central midfield.  I think he can still contribute, but probably in a substitutes role.   

2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Vitoria is 31, usually but not always starts for his club, is (arguably) playing at the highest level of any of our defenders, and has never had a run of games to show what he can do in Concacaf.   

I think he's injured at the moment. 

Straith should be in the conversation, and mix. Straith is decent and versatile. Same with Will Johnson. WJ is a good player, and more importantly extremely versatile. He'll help us in the harder matches to come - please note, I was never as high on WJ as some on this site but I am not as low on him now as some...

I am not outraged either is missing from the squad. It's a great sign. A sign of progression. A sign that simply playing professionally will not automatically get you caps. A sign that past caps will no longer guarantee future caps. A sign we are finally getting more depth in almost every position. A sign that in order to keep your place you have to keep working, fighting and wanting it. 

5 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Straith is only 28, and despite his limitations, was solid in WCQ.  I trust him not to screw up more than Henry or James.

He seems to be a whipping boy around here when things don't go right and he has his limitations, for sure, but watching his disciplined defending in our penalty area vs Honduras in the first game of the last WCQ round I feel pretty confident that's he not going to give away a penalty for diving in and looking for the big play. 

12 hours ago, shamrock said:

11 hours ago, El Diego said:

I honestly think it's because they're too far away for a back up center back.

Is it really that simple??  Cheaper to bring Edgar (31), than Hainault (32), Straith (28) from germany??  Not that I am complaining, I am a big Edgar fan.  Somehow I guess the focus isnt on CB for this first round, but they'll have to get a regular defense sorted out for next fall.  

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

He seems to be a whipping boy around here when things don't go right and he has his limitations, for sure, but watching his disciplined defending in our penalty area vs Honduras in the first game of the last WCQ round I feel pretty confident that's he not going to give away a penalty for diving in and looking for the big play. 

yea he'll easily get rounded or paced... I'm clearly part of that camp. 

He's had way too many opportunities to impress, and really hasn't at all in multiple positions. I used to think of Piette in this same fashion but have changed my tune based on seeing what his actual position is. 

Things change, so it wouldn't hurt seeing him again as age and "experience" is on his side.

As for Hainualt, if he can't beat out Vitoria, Jackovic or Edgar....his time is up.

14 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Straith should be in the conversation, and mix. Straith is decent and versatile. Same with Will Johnson. WJ is a good player, and more importantly extremely versatile. He'll help us in the harder matches to come - please note, I was never as high on WJ as some on this site but I am not as low on him now as some...

I am not outraged either is missing from the squad. It's a great sign. A sign of progression. A sign that simply playing professionally will not automatically get you caps. A sign that past caps will no longer guarantee future caps. A sign we are finally getting more depth in almost every position. A sign that in order to keep your place you have to keep working, fighting and wanting it. 

I wonder if a healthy and fit (and willing) Will Johnson makes the cut? 

Once upon a time, he was neck and neck with Osorio. I don't think that's the case anymore. I think Arfield is an overall better player. Piette is better in the role that he plays than Johnson is (naturally). Hutchinson is obviously ahead of him also, despite being 35.

In this current selection, I think Teibert is the player who he'd have to beat out. The last of the centre mid spots, if you will. All things being equal, I think Johnson could have won that last spot in the midfield, but alas he is injured and Tiebert is playing well. This is the beauty of depth.

And don't forget about MAK. Based on his play pre-injury, I think he beats out both Tiebert and Johnson for that final midfield spot. I hope he finds form again next season, he can be an importsnt player for us, and is just as diverse as Johnson is.

All in all, I feel okay about Johnson hanging up his NT boots, but would of course welcome him back into the fold if he wants to continue and is committed.

The more depth, the better.

17 hours ago, Obinna said:

I have been wondering about Straith. At 28 he still has one more cycle in him. He already has 40 something caps if I recall correctly. I think it's fair to start talking about him as an option. 

He has also been Lotte's captain recently. A pretty big deal considering most of the team is German, and he is one of 2 non-Europeans. Says alot about his leadership.

Archived