CNL - Canada vs Dominica - October 16th Toronto

Admin

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked on Ticketmaster and based on that I bet we’ll get between 7000 and 8000. 

I think this type or a game against a minnow would have been a good chance to play in a smaller market where the men’s team rarely if ever plays. Halifax or St. John’s would have been good east coast options. They could have also hit Victoria or Winnipeg given it was a longer break. An extra couple of hours on the plane and a few more hours time change would not have been such a big deal given they don’t play until next Tuesday. Save TO, Montreal, Edmonton and Van for bigger opponents. 

11 hours ago, Medic1849 said:

New to the forum - first post, but looooooong time fan of this team  

I took a trip up to Alliston today and am watching them train as I type. 

Pretty cool to watch and see how they interact durIng their drills.   Boy do they move fast in tight quarters. 

Looking forward to the the game next week.  

I really enjoy this forum, keep up the great discussion  

What time did you go?  I would like to go watch the training with my son, but don't want to have to wait around for hours just to catch them

I showed up at 10:45 and the coaches were setting up. They practiced from 11:00-12:15.  I wanted to bring my daughter out to see them practice as well but didn’t want to pull her from school and not see them.

That at being said, I can’t guarantee they practice the same time each day. Lots of parking close to the field - close enough to see everything, far enough not to get in their way. 

Good luck!

Yes, good luck! When I've gone previously, I've only seen someone on a riding lawn mower cut the grass on their field. It looked very nice. I'm not sure if I'll get there today but will try tomorrow. Both days look good for weather. 

12 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Any word on how many tickets sold? I predict our attendance will be just over 5,000

It will be well over 5000, by a lot I would assume.  There was a count of 6800, not including our 700 more than a week ago. 

33 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I’m going to guess 10,000.. I was surprised that there was zero push/mention of the game at the Toronto match on the weekend, unless I missed something.

To do so would have been genderist, of course.

Speaking of the marketing of this game. Does anybody else feel like they are being purposefully deceptive and leading people to believe it counts as World Cup qualifying? I've seen stuff that said something like "the road to the World Cup in Qatar begins". Yesterday I watched that Jay and Dan interview of John Herdman and right off the top Jay outright said something like "big game October 16th in Toronto. World Cup qualifying games are here!" Herdman didn't correct him.

I get that these games are the start of the cycle and it acts as prep for World Cup qualifying, but that's a very different thing from these matches being actual World Cup qualifiers.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Speaking of the marketing of this game. Does anybody else feel like they are being purposefully deceptive and leading people to believe it counts as World Cup qualifying? I've seen stuff that said something like "the road to the World Cup in Qatar begins". Yesterday I watched that Jay and Dan interview of John Herdman and right off the top Jay outright said something like "big game October 16th in Toronto. World Cup qualifying games are here!" Herdman didn't correct him.

I get that these games are the start of the cycle and it acts as prep for World Cup qualifying, but that's a very different thing from these matches being actual World Cup qualifiers.

It does seem mildly misleading, but if it gets assess in seats I am probably okay with it.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

I agree with your assessment and I agree with their approach. 

In an era of fake news on issues vital to global security going unchecked, surely it's palatable to take liberties with world cup qualifying language. 

Im a little surprised Davies isnt a bigger draw in Toronto. Easily the biggest story in Canadian soccer history. He's a big star here in Vancouver. CSA would be smart to play games in the future at BC Place or Edmonton. Especially if he really makes an impact at Bayern, which I think he will immediately. Those games in Van or Edmonton would draw big regardless of the opponent

37 minutes ago, admin said:

We will be over 800 it looks like.  

Still some tickets left to fill out the rows in section 112 & 113.

Limited supply. 

Get them on the front page. 

Jamie

I bought a ticket in 114. Is that still our section?

Just now, canta15 said:

I bought a ticket in 114. Is that still our section?

Just waiting to hear back.  

They accomodate us, there are also times where we should accomodate them.     We have sold a little over 1/2 of our allocated sections. 

It wouldn't be unreasonable to to merge 113 & 114 to free up all of 114 for walk up. 

It would involve juggling things, but it could be done.   Just waiting to hear back. 

12 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Im a little surprised Davies isnt a bigger draw in Toronto. Probably the biggest story in Canadian soccer recently. He's a big star here in Vancouver. CSA would be smart to play games in the future at BC Place or Edmonton. Especially if he really makes an impact at Bayern, which I think he will immediately. Those games in Van or Edmonton would draw big regardless of the opponent

FYP

28 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Technically they’re not wrong.. these matches are crucial to our seeding for the World Cup qualifying draw so they go hand in hand. 

Gold Cup/Nations league qualifying isn’t quite as exciting to the casual.  

What is your definition of a casual fan? 

Personally, the opportunity to watch players like Millar, Davies, Tabla, Busti, David, Cav, Hoilett, Atiba etc some for the first time should appeal at the very least, to TFC fans who by now must be aware of the players and the game. This regardless of the opposition. I have always wondered why we don't get more TFC fans attending CMNT game in TO. ?

9 minutes ago, RickC said:

Maybe I should stay away from the CMNT trainng. I never get to see them! Once again, a beautiful field. I did see Herdman out about 40 minutes ago walking on the pitch. Likely he was visualizing, and I don't mean that negatively.

Nah, it's where the voices are strongest. 

6 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

What is your definition of a casual fan? 

Personally, the opportunity to watch players like Millar, Davies, Tabla, Busti, David, Cav, Hoilett, Atiba etc some for the first time should appeal at the very least, to TFC fans who by now must be aware of the players and the game. This regardless of the opposition. I have always wondered why we don't get more TFC fans attending CMNT game in TO. ?

Casual fan would be someone who watches EPL/CL/World Cup.. also the MLS fans who don’t really follow outside of their local team or the aforementioned top levels. 

These people generally have low attention spans when you drift away from the luxury levels so you need to get the message across quickly.  

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Casual fan would be someone who watches EPL/CL/World Cup.. also the MLS fans who don’t really follow outside of their local team or the aforementioned top levels. 

I dont' think this is necessariliy true.  The circumstances just have not been there. 

Our mens national team games have been on weeknights, often at 7pm and for a long long time against teams like this. 

Many of those who have season tickets are willing to show up 45 minutes late to a game they have already paid for, but not entirely willing to buy an additional ticket to something they can't reasonably get to after work from Brampton ect against a string of teams that are not entirely inspiring. 

As the calibre of the opposition goes up and combine that with meaningful games I think there will be a significant increase in turnout, especially if that happens on a weekend. 

Archived