CNL - Canada vs Dominica - October 16th Toronto

Admin

26 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

He has also been Lotte's captain recently. A pretty big deal considering most of the team is German, and he is one of 2 non-Europeans. Says alot about his leadership.

That's a big accomplishment.

Admittedly I haven't followed Straith as much this season as in the past, but looking at the body of his NT work, he's done an adequate to good job for us. He's been relatively dependable and has played in big games for us.

The biggest error that I can conjure up was during a friendly in Europe early in his career, I think against Slovenia or perhaps it was Czech Republic, I can't recall exactly. Regardless though, I would trust him to fill in the gaps until better, younger options (hopefully) emerge during this cycle.

Edit: I think it was against Greece.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Admittedly I haven't followed Straith as much this season as in the past, but looking at the body of his NT work, he's done an adequate to good job for us. He's been relatively dependable and has played in big games for us.

The biggest error that I can conjure up was during a friendly in Europe early in his career, I think against Slovenia or perhaps it was Czech Republic, I can't recall exactly. Regardless though, I would trust him to fill in the gaps until better, younger options (hopefully) emerge during this cycle.

Yep against Greece but to be fair he was playing LB.. that match was also Borjan, Edgar and Ricketts first cap. 

On 10/2/2018 at 6:57 PM, Stryker911 said:

Kind of unrelated, but interesting that there isn't one US based player on this squad.

Not completely unrelated. With 10 Canadian-based players from four different teams - perhaps we are finally starting to see some real payoffs for letting MLS operate in Canada.

The lack of the four US-based players who have been called up earlier this year, is probably just an anomaly.

I'm surprised Akindele isn't there - is there a story there?

1 minute ago, nfitz said:

Not completely unrelated. With 10 Canadian-based players from four different teams - perhaps we are finally starting to see some real payoffs for letting MLS operate in Canada.

The lack of the four US-based players who have been called up earlier this year, is probably just an anomaly.

Yeah, he hasn’t been playing. Maybe he’s injured too because he wasn’t even on the FD bench last I checked. 

5 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I think we're a little too good for Tesho Akindele, we need to create a standard of selecting only players that are full time starters in first division leagues or highly rated prospects under 21 or you're booted..........

Okay fine I am exaggerating, but in terms of midfielders and strikers, Canada is well past the days of selecting MLS bench players (Ricketts, Morgan, Chapman probably shouldn't be there in Gold Cup 2019)

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think Ledgerwood was the one who got burned in Greece, the ball went over his head when it was easily playable. I was at that game but I could be wrong, I had a few Fix beforehand!

57 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

I think we're a little too good for Tesho Akindele, we need to create a standard of selecting only players that are full time starters in first division leagues or highly rated prospects under 21 or you're booted..........

Okay fine I am exaggerating, but in terms of midfielders and strikers, Canada is well past the days of selecting MLS bench players (Ricketts, Morgan, Chapman probably shouldn't be there in Gold Cup 2019)

I get what you are saying, but at the same time I don't think we can stroke all players with the same brush.

For example, this season Akindele is a bench player on the top team in the West. Can we really say he is destined to be behind, say Edwards, who is pretty much a full time starter on a Chicago side languishing near the bottom of the east? 

Then, we have players like Ricketts, Chapman and Morgan, who may be starters on other teams not as deep as Toronto.

Ricketts actually kinda reminds me of Darren Mattocks, not only in playing style, but also I suspect he could move to another MLS team and start in the same way Mattocks did when moving from Portland to DC.

So yeah, I tend to agree with your principle in general terms, but we do have to consider things case by case, I think.

16 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I think Ledgerwood was the one who got burned in Greece, the ball went over his head when it was easily playable. I was at that game but I could be wrong, I had a few Fix beforehand!

Could have been more than one player at fault. I can't really remembee much aside from the fact we lost 1-0 (I think), and Straith made a colossal error of some kind. It took me a while to even remember the opponent so it's entirely possible I am confusing which game that was in.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Could have been more than one player at fault. I can't really remembee much aside from the fact we lost 1-0 (I think), and Straith made a colossal error of some kind. It took me a while to even remember the opponent so it's entirely possible I am confusing which game that was in.

I tried to look up video and there’s nothing out there which in this day and age is crazy. I would love to go back and look at that game.

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

I wonder if a healthy and fit (and willing) Will Johnson makes the cut? 

Once upon a time, he was neck and neck with Osorio. I don't think that's the case anymore. I think Arfield is an overall better player. Piette is better in the role that he plays than Johnson is (naturally). Hutchinson is obviously ahead of him also, despite being 35.

In this current selection, I think Teibert is the player who he'd have to beat out. The last of the centre mid spots, if you will. All things being equal, I think Johnson could have won that last spot in the midfield, but alas he is injured and Tiebert is playing well. This is the beauty of depth.

And don't forget about MAK. Based on his play pre-injury, I think he beats out both Tiebert and Johnson for that final midfield spot. I hope he finds form again next season, he can be an importsnt player for us, and is just as diverse as Johnson is.

All in all, I feel okay about Johnson hanging up his NT boots, but would of course welcome him back into the fold if he wants to continue and is committed.

The more depth, the better.

This. Well said.

But WJ can also play right back, which is why I think he should be in consideration for our roster, particularly when we have back-to-back matches. His versatility is an asset we can't easily dismiss.

With all due fariness to WJ, but have you seen him play RB at ORL??  Its brutal!  He i still is a good mid and has grit/fire for days (something that might rub off on the youngsters).  Maybe a back up RB among the minnows in this first round but we have to blood a future RB sooner rather than later.  ZBG, Godinho etc, someone who has a shot at being our RB in the future.  

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

With all due fariness to WJ, but have you seen him play RB at ORL??  Its brutal!  He i still is a good mid and has grit/fire for days (something that might rub off on the youngsters).  Maybe a back up RB among the minnows in this first round but we have to blood a future RB sooner rather than later.  ZBG, Godinho etc, someone who has a shot at being our RB in the future.  

Davies absolutely destroyed him earlier this season, Telfer did too I think. Godinho is probably better right now, and I'd much rather play other young guys like Cordova or ZBG. 

I'm not even sure who he beats out in the midfield at this point. 

4 hours ago, RickC said:

I think I've been to Nottawasaga two or three times to see them practice but haven't seen them yet. Maybe another trip will do it.

I’m thinking about giving it a shot as well. When the Serie A team (Frosinone Calcio) held their training camp there, they used the pitch closest to the Main Street into Alliston.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:07 PM, Bison44 said:

What I'm saying is he *can* play rb if needed. Let's say there's an in match injury and Doneil is also injured (as per usual) the fact WJ can play there, as well as several different spots in the midfield, is great on a roster where there's back to back games and without much time or opportunity to bring in a new player. So he's on the depth chart in multiple positions, which is more useful than someone who can just play as backup RB.

33 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Is there anyway to watch the replay of this match without knowing the score? I don’t think the concacaf website gives you the option. 

For the last game I bookmarked the Canada page on the Concacaf website beforehand. They posted the full match without the score.

Archived