CNL - Canada vs Dominica - October 16th Toronto

Admin

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Im a little surprised Davies isnt a bigger draw in Toronto. Easily the biggest story in Canadian soccer history. He's a big star here in Vancouver. CSA would be smart to play games in the future at BC Place or Edmonton. Especially if he really makes an impact at Bayern, which I think he will immediately. Those games in Van or Edmonton would draw big regardless of the opponent

Davies just played in Toronto 4 days ago. So most of the soccer loving crowd just saw him. And he did not have a good performance.

I think we are overestimating star power.   That scale is logarithmic, and to have an effect you need to pushed so far along the graph a true draw on the general population would be reserved for very very few. 

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

What is your definition of a casual fan? 

Personally, the opportunity to watch players like Millar, Davies, Tabla, Busti, David, Cav, Hoilett, Atiba etc some for the first time should appeal at the very least, to TFC fans who by now must be aware of the players and the game. This regardless of the opposition. I have always wondered why we don't get more TFC fans attending CMNT game in TO. ?

Casual fans would not be aware of Millar or Busti considering how young they are and they are only in the academies.

I believe a casual fan is someone who watches is a person who is not tha familiar with the team and knows a handful of our best players. They would watch our big games in the Gold Cup and WCQs. 

Of course, the definition of a “casual” fan is different to everyone

I have no idea why a casual fan, however one wants to define that, would be interested in this match.

Let's be honest, it's versus some no name country in some no name competition. I

I'm not quite sure what more, if anything, could be done to promote this match.

5 hours ago, Califax said:

We need an important game in Toronto on a Saturday at 5pm.

I don't think I remember anything like this since Jamaica in 2008.

Canada/Panama 2012 on a Friday night - which drew around 18K, which is nominally different than what Vancouver drew for their non-Mexico matches. 

But yeah this match is basically unmarketable.  If you wanted to watch Alphonso Davies at BMO you could have paid $6 on Stubhub to watch him on Saturday and you also would have seen a far higher quality of play (not to mention is there any chance Davies plays in this with Vancouver playing the next night?).  The number of people who care to watch big name club academy products can probably be counted by this forum's active membership.

File naming fiasco has broken my spirit for the day.  I will finish ticketing for 114 tomorrow.

In case you are wondering..... BMO post renovation decided (and there was a reason but rage impedes my memory) to skip some seat numbers in multiple rows of 114.  

Which means I have hundreds of incorrect file names..... I not feel like reanming tonight by opening each and every PDF file...... 

This is a job for tomorrow.   I'm goign to go watch Game of Thrones and see people get burtally murdered. 

3 hours ago, theaub said:

Canada/Panama 2012 on a Friday night - which drew around 18K, which is nominally different than what Vancouver drew for their non-Mexico matches. 

But yeah this match is basically unmarketable.  If you wanted to watch Alphonso Davies at BMO you could have paid $6 on Stubhub to watch him on Saturday and you also would have seen a far higher quality of play (not to mention is there any chance Davies plays in this with Vancouver playing the next night?).  The number of people who care to watch big name club academy products can probably be counted by this forum's active membership.

That's it..we need to start cloning ourselves 

On 10/9/2018 at 10:24 PM, Boominbooty said:

I looked on Ticketmaster and based on that I bet we’ll get between 7000 and 8000. 

I think this type or a game against a minnow would have been a good chance to play in a smaller market where the men’s team rarely if ever plays. Halifax or St. John’s would have been good east coast options. They could have also hit Victoria or Winnipeg given it was a longer break. An extra couple of hours on the plane and a few more hours time change would not have been such a big deal given they don’t play until next Tuesday. Save TO, Montreal, Edmonton and Van for bigger opponents. 

These games against these minnows should be played in the smaller markets , there is the CPL starting so why not put a game like this in Halifax , 5 to 6000 in Halifax ‘s CPL stadium would look great on TV, 5000 at BMO will look terrible. Dominica would have a hard time versus a top amateur men’s club team from Toronto never mind Canada’s national team, the CSA asking to fill a venue the size of BMO is a big ask for a game against a country like Dominica .

38 minutes ago, 1996 said:

These games against these minnows should be played in the smaller markets , there is the CPL starting so why not put a game like this in Halifax , 5 to 6000 in Halifax ‘s CPL stadium would look great on TV, 5000 at BMO will look terrible. Dominica would have a hard time versus a top amateur men’s club team from Toronto never mind Canada’s national team, the CSA asking to fill a venue the size of BMO is a big ask for a game against a country like Dominica .

Probably because the CSA is contractually obligated to play at least once per year at BMO.

4 hours ago, 1996 said:

Some great points made here, but I am guessing the CSA opted for Toronto because, amongst other things, the training facilities are familiar. Halifax, much like St. John's or other smaller centres, have a lot of turf options and relatively few quality grass options.

And as much as the results matter here, so does the quality of the training. Just thinking of factors here that'd swing things in Toronto's favour rather than Halifax, for example.

While the jury may still be out re JH as coach of the CMNT he is doing a heck of a job on promoting the team. I have never seen this level of media coverage ever in the past 18 yrs. I am super pumped  to be attending the game at BMO to see for the first time, in person, Davies /David /Millar /Tabla/ Cornelius/ Brault G/ Busti and even Cav....real quality young additions to our 2018 WC squad. Exciting times to be a CMNT fan.

Just now, Kadenge said:

While the jury may still be out re JH as coach of the CMNT he is doing a heck of a job on promoting the team. I have never seen this level of media coverage ever in the past 18 yrs. I am super pumped  to be attending the game at BMO to see for the first time, in person, Davies /David /Millar /Tabla/ Cornelius/ Brault G/ Busti and even Cav....real quality young additions to our 2018 WC squad. Exciting times to be a CMNT fan.

I think it is a bit of a perfect storm.  The reality is that Davies was raising the profile of the team back when OZ was in place.  Then Herdman came, and he did bring some level of recognition from the women's game.  Now Tabla commits.  And all this is happening at a time when we had the WC co-bid accepted and our domestic league is kicking off.  Not knocking Herdman because he has been a part of it, but I think a lot of factors are contributing to the buzz around the men's team right now.  And while the amount of hair product does seem to antagonise a few people on here, I suspect Herdman is pretty much the ideal guy to have in place for PR purposes.  I sincerely hope his tactical acumen matches his media savvy.  If it ultimately does, no one will care about the way he was brought on board. 

Archived