Forge FC (Hamilton) launch/2019 offseason thread

RS

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Darn, I was hoping they were going to say that MLS turned them down. Nothing like a chip on the shoulder to drive success.

Turns out they thought they would lose too much money in MLS.

It was probably a combination of both, tbh.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hamilton has always wanted to be in the NHL. Why wouldn't they at least explore the option of MLS? They could have had a rivalry with Toronto that people in Toronto actually cared out. MLS was showing signs of being interested in developing some local derbys at the time and wasn't finding it quite as easy to draw viable expansion bids as it is now.

Think the big problem for any Hamilton sports group is that no North American major league is ever going to want a Hamilton branded team on board as it sounds bush league to Americans, so if local civic pride balks at being perceived as a minor league city that meant they had to go for a domestic pro league.

That makes sense from a Hamilton perspective. What gives the project a fighting shot at making it is that they have been willing to dilute the economic model down to a point that is low budget enough to be potentially doable in enough markets elsewhere to make an entire league viable without needing the three core MLS markets to get behind it. 

@longlugan

You're right, this is BBTB's sock puppet. 

Part of the problem with the MLS business model is that it’s an annual cash loss but the franchise values increase every year.  

If that’s sustainable remains to be seen.  

Nonetheless an ownership group has to be willing to endure losing millions of cash dollars indefinitely and then have an exit strategy.  

I can’t blame the TiCats or anyone else who doesn’t want to subscribe to that business model.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

http://northerntribune.ca/forge-fc-major-league-soccer/

... So, Young and Mitchell had to figure out how they could somehow make money from a soccer team in Hamilton, because the home of the Tiger-Cats depended on it.

Shooting straight for the big guys, the pair flew to New York City to have a discussion with Major League Soccer executives to see about Hamilton becoming an expansion team...

Wow...Northern Tribune. Way to rip off the juiciest pieces from an article on a subscription site and then reproduce it. Poor form in my opinion.

5 hours ago, masster said:

Wow...Northern Tribune. Way to rip off the juiciest pieces from an article on a subscription site and then reproduce it. Poor form in my opinion.

Is it a subscription site? I was able to open the link he posted and read the whole article, and just now I went to the home page and clicked on 4 or 5 random articles and was able to open all of them.

38 minutes ago, Kent said:

Is it a subscription site? I was able to open the link he posted and read the whole article, and just now I went to the home page and clicked on 4 or 5 random articles and was able to open all of them.

I think he's referring to the Athletic site... They posted an article about the CPL where some of the info in the Northern Tribe article was taken from.... I could be wrong though. 

Edited by Shway

39 minutes ago, Kent said:

This story was taken from an article on the Athletic. Even says so at the bottom of the article "Source: The Athletic".

All they did was rewrite parts of that article.

So, as a York 9 FC supporter, I’m curious as to what you Hamilton folks are thinking ahead of the game? Any predictions?! 

As I said in the York 9 FC section, I’ll make the totally unbiased and largely baseless prediction that we beat you 3-2! 

2 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

So, as a York 9 FC supporter, I’m curious as to what you Hamilton folks are thinking ahead of the game? Any predictions?! 

As I said in the York 9 FC section, I’ll make the totally unbiased and largely baseless prediction that we beat you 3-2! 

Forge is going to win 2-0.  Nothing like a clean sheet to start the season.  

First goal in league history will be Chris Nanco.

I honestly have no idea what to expect, I think we have a good squad assembled, maybe a little young, it will be interesting to see how it all comes together! York9 from what I see could be quite good, I’m going to guess 2-1 for the home side!

Ok maybe I missed it but just found out that David Gantar will be the ref for the first CPL game on Saturday. David Gantar really why why why? Come on I know there must be better refs than this guy. I’ve seen enough of this character in Voyageurs Cup games and in the MLS and the guy is a disaster I’m sorry. Anytime I watch a game that this guy does there are always a few major controversies due to his inept officiating. Whatever happened to that Petrescu guy who has done a lot of MLS games and Voyager Cup games as well , he would have been a much better choice than this guy. Please anyone but Gantar !

Oh I hope the 2 coaches see what is at stake and we see some attacking soccer that will win over some fair weather fans.  Remember when UFC first got going and Forrest griffin/Bonnar fight on spike blew everyone away and showed how exciting MMA could be??  It would be a shame if we didnt see a couple goals.  Prediction, Telfer scores the first ever CPL goal but Forge win 2-1 with Bekker and Zajac scoring.  

23 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Oh I hope the 2 coaches see what is at stake and we see some attacking soccer that will win over some fair weather fans.  Remember when UFC first got going and Forrest griffin/Bonnar fight on spike blew everyone away and showed how exciting MMA could be??  It would be a shame if we didnt see a couple goals.  Prediction, Telfer scores the first ever CPL goal but Forge win 2-1 with Bekker and Zajac scoring.  

I get what your saying but soccer is what it is it’s usually not a high scoring sport , but I find that to the casual soccer fan when it’s their team playing representing their city they will be much more engaged no matter how high or how low scoring the game is. Therefore even a 1-0 game if it’s their city playing can keep them engaged to the final moment. You live on every pass, every header, free kick, foul and every possession it’s not just about the goals . It’s like sex lol it’s about the build up the foreplay lol!

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

I get what your saying but soccer is what it is it’s usually not a high scoring sport , but I find that to the casual soccer fan when it’s their team playing representing their city they will be much more engaged no matter how high or how low scoring the game is. Therefore even a 1-0 game if it’s their city playing can keep them engaged to the final moment. You live on every pass, every header, free kick, foul and every possession it’s not just about the goals . It’s like sex lol it’s about the build up the foreplay lol!

I'm going to be at the game cheering for York 9, but even I want the home fans to have a chance to erupt when Forge scores a goal. I still want York 9 to win, but the best part of going to a game live is cheering for a goal with the strangers around you.

2 days until the start of the season and still at 20 players signed total with 3 at remaining spots. Jace Kotsopolous confirmed to The Northern he will be signing very shortly just working out the last details, he's an exciting player! 53 goals in 57 games with University of Guelph in 4 years time. Graduating the same year as this league kicked off makes him very fortunate 

Taha Ilyass was the only trialist from Hamilton invited to camp and the last invite left with the club and that went to the D.R! 20 Year old Midfielder, he could have signed in Moroccan top tier (his parents country) last year but fell through due to paperwork, the transfer window closed and he did not have dual citizenship at the time as was considered a foreigner. 

The rumours of Molham Babouli have died down, but I have feeling it's been in the works for a while

Its been told that Marko Mandekic is going back to U of T for year N°3 so he's not in the picture. 

Hopefully they have the cap space for all three of the signings 

• RS locked this topic