Forge FC (Hamilton) launch/2019 offseason thread

RS

5 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

@BuzzAndSting He did not contact the league and the league did not contact him. I'm sure it's not as easy as just reaching out to get noticed or interest, like you said most of this is through agents, contacts, within the inner circles of Canadian soccer and who the coaches know

Normally you have to insist, sorry to say. And if you don't have an agent, and have been in Serbia Superleague, then something is wrong.

Instead of being teed off, or venting (although it is more you than him), go talk to agents, play your cards well. The signings are not over yet, and there will be injuries from week 1 on. 

On 4/19/2019 at 3:49 PM, Blackjack15 said:

@BuzzAndSting He did not contact the league and the league did not contact him. I'm sure it's not as easy as just reaching out to get noticed or interest, like you said most of this is through agents, contacts, within the inner circles of Canadian soccer and who the coaches know

Seems like you have a lot of excuses...

If they did know about him, did the guy insist on a contract rather than trial? Given his quick decline from Serbian football, was there an injury or attitude problem that the coaches know about? Something's amiss.

If he was interested, and "did not contact the league" how can you blame everyone but the player? There were open trials, mate. Why didn't he apply to join one? With his pedigree he would have been taken in and in front of all the coaches. All it would have taken was an email with a CV and video. Nothing more.

It's football and the kid has two unfavoured passports - if he's sitting at home waiting for people to contact him and hasn't hired an agent, he's going to be out of football quickly. In fact, sounds like he already is unless he changes tact!

I expect him to end up in USports, but since you know the kid you may want to tell the kid to try something different - he needs to actually apply for university, they won't come to him with all the documents.

Edited by BCM

I have a real issue with tickets, not only for the opening game but for the entire season, you see I'm a bit of a dinosaur and am still rocking a BlackBerry Q10, the app to load your tickets on is not available in this platform, the tickets are to be paperless only! I contacted @marauder01 from the club and he will help me with a solution on Monday, maybe Forge FC will buy me a new phone?

21 minutes ago, gator said:

I have a real issue with tickets, not only for the opening game but for the entire season, you see I'm a bit of a dinosaur and am still rocking a BlackBerry Q10, the app to load your tickets on is not available in this platform, the tickets are to be paperless only! I contacted @marauder01 from the club and he will help me with a solution on Monday, maybe Forge FC will buy me a new phone?

Oh BlackBerry... the good old days. I’m glad to hear that the club will find a solution for you. 

The ticket thing is really a major problem. Not everyone has a smart phone. My parents don't, and I could see them wanting to come to a game or two... but it seems like to even get a single game ticket, you need to have the Centre Circle app?

It seems like a bizarre requirement.

Then there are people like me (old) who don't even know what an app is.  Companies and people that assume everyone knows as much about modern technology as they do should realize old people like me haven't all died off yet.  I hope to be still chugging along for a few more ...[gasp]  agghhhhhhhhh.

[thud]

Edited by vancanman

I could be wrong about this, but I'm fairly certain you can just print a copy of your ticket from the Ticketmaster website. This is what I've done for almost every Fury FC match and every event at the Canadian Tire Centre, and it looks to me like you can do the same for CPL matches. The paperless app bit is certainly handy, but I don't think it's the only option.

In other news, I monitor how many season seats are left for sale on a regular basis and I’ve seen it go from about 600 a few weeks ago to about 225 left now.  Every day a dozen or so drop off.

I imagine that the team must be closing in in 6,000 season seats now. I remember back in the winter they said they were approaching 5,000 seats but they’ve sold lots since then.

Edited by baulderdash77

April 21, 2019 My game report on League 1 Ontario Oakville Blue Devils vs PLSQ A.S. Blainville exhibition game in Oakville. Includes interviews with coaches and players.

Would only interest Forge FC fans if they want to hear OBD head coach Duncan Wilde heap praise on Forge recent signing Anthony Novak.  

Was down at THF tonight for the video shoot and my first experience of the stadium since it was Ivor Wynn was a very positive one. The highlight for my son was when he got to bang the drum for our section (which is a big deal for a 5 year old).

Any concerns I’ve had about being in a CFL stadium with the seats being too far from the field, or about sight lines, are gone. I don’t think there’s a bad seat in the house (in the lower bowl anyway). We are in the corner section, 112, and I was blown away by how good the view will be for the whole field, and just how close we feel to the pitch. 

So excited to get to share the match day experience with my son on Saturday! 

On 9/28/2018 at 4:05 PM, Keegan said:

What Hamilton is doing most importantly is showing that you don’t need to be a major city to have a sustainable fan base...

If things go very well with the Forge once free tickets are not involved and the novelty factor wears off a bit, the effect that has on the Ottawa Fury is probably the most important angle in the short to medium term.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

19 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Was down at THF tonight for the video shoot and my first experience of the stadium since it was Ivor Wynn was a very positive one. The highlight for my son was when he got to bang the drum for our section (which is a big deal for a 5 year old).

Any concerns I’ve had about being in a CFL stadium with the seats being too far from the field, or about sight lines, are gone. I don’t think there’s a bad seat in the house (in the lower bowl anyway). We are in the corner section, 112, and I was blown away by how good the view will be for the whole field, and just how close we feel to the pitch. 

So excited to get to share the match day experience with my son on Saturday! 

It’s an ok stadium THF but hate the old school 1960’s two grandstands with open end end zones , it’s basically Toronto’s BMO Field but a smaller version , not a fan of the BMO Field design either probably one of the worst designs in the MLS. The best design stadiums in Canada is the one in Winnipeg and Regina they are both more enclosed stadiums which I prefer . Both THF and BMO which both built in the past 10 years or so could have been designed so much better should have been more enclosed instead both look like your typical two grand stand stadiums you use to have in most CFL stadiums. Thank God both Winnipeg and Regina went with different designs and good for them , but THF, BMO and even the one in Ottawa too open for my liking. Best places to watch CPL for me will be in Halifax, Winnipeg, Calgary, York 9 , Edmonton, Pacific . Hamilton will be ok of course on Saturday full but imagine a design like Winnipeg’s or Regina’s new stadium full in those more enclosed stadiums the atmosphere would be much better .

http://northerntribune.ca/forge-fc-major-league-soccer/

... So, Young and Mitchell had to figure out how they could somehow make money from a soccer team in Hamilton, because the home of the Tiger-Cats depended on it.

Shooting straight for the big guys, the pair flew to New York City to have a discussion with Major League Soccer executives to see about Hamilton becoming an expansion team...

21 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

http://northerntribune.ca/forge-fc-major-league-soccer/

... So, Young and Mitchell had to figure out how they could somehow make money from a soccer team in Hamilton, because the home of the Tiger-Cats depended on it.

Shooting straight for the big guys, the pair flew to New York City to have a discussion with Major League Soccer executives to see about Hamilton becoming an expansion team...

Darn, I was hoping they were going to say that MLS turned them down. Nothing like a chip on the shoulder to drive success.

Turns out they thought they would lose too much money in MLS.

I’m quite pleased the way this has all turned out so far, I remember the mandate to land a pro soccer franchise and when it was near expiration there were rumours surfacing of other groups wanting to take the exclusive rights and bring a PDL or  USL team to Hamilton, that wouldn’t have worked IMHO! Thankfully Young was patient and able to overcome several obstacles such as no present  Canadian league  and the law suit with the City of Hamilton and the CPL was formed with Forge being a flagship club! Young recognized the importance of rivalries and the thirst for a Canadian league, Saturday will be the culmination of lots of ups and downs for us Soccer fans in The Hammer, I think it will be worth the wait!

Most significant lines

1. the local fanbase wouldn’t have much interest in watching teams from the Southern United States.
  2. The economics behind running a Major League Soccer team simply didn’t add up, either: the organization would hemorrhage money, losing millions from the get-go.*

*Montreal Impact is on record about not having making a cent in profit since joining MLS and that's including ALL forms of revenues (SUM as well)

Hamilton has always wanted to be in the NHL. Why wouldn't they at least explore the option of MLS? They could have had a rivalry with Toronto that people in Toronto actually cared out. MLS was showing signs of being interested in developing some local derbys at the time and wasn't finding it quite as easy to draw viable expansion bids as it is now.

Think the big problem for any Hamilton sports group is that no North American major league is ever going to want a Hamilton branded team on board as it sounds bush league to Americans, so if local civic pride balks at being perceived as a minor league city that meant they had to go for a domestic pro league.

That makes sense from a Hamilton perspective. What gives the project a fighting shot at making it is that they have been willing to dilute the economic model down to a point that is low budget enough to be potentially doable in enough markets elsewhere to make an entire league viable without needing the three core MLS markets to get behind it. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

• RS locked this topic