General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

5 minutes ago, jtpc said:

It's a home and away with each team in your group.

Nicaragua has scored, so if they hold on for the last 20+ minutes, they're in the GC.

Thank you.

then my preference would be 

1. Costa Rica (hate to face Navas but CR is on a clear decline at the moment and we have at least had some recent success against them)

2. US

3. Honduras (worse of the 3 teams but playing in San Pedro Sula is a nightmare for us)

13 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Hate to be that guy, but Jamaica - El Salvador should be investigated for match fixing. Both goals were extremely suspicious. Blakes error on the first goal was farcical, never seen one so bad. The Jamaican defender on the second goal, who was about a foot taller than the Salvadorian forward on the play, didn't even jump for the ball, and Blake didn't move.

Jamaica looked so lethargic all game. Not at all how they've been playing the last few years. 

The guy who scored Montserrat's winner agrees

image.png.f32285869feadc32bc586589de02b7fa.png

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Got to feel for them. The only team on 9 points to not make the Gold Cup, and really if Barbados don't field ineligible players against Guyana, they would be there instead. The Montserrat players must be doubly pissed at Barbados now for losing this one at home on top of that.

I was just thinking of it in terms of that 94th minute winner for El Salvador against Montserrat. And that was after Montserrat had an amazing chance to go ahead (I feel bad for not remembering if they hit the post, or just missed a great chance). I didn't even realize the Barbados forfeit angle.

Too bad Barbados will be in League C. Would have been great if Montserrat and Barbados were drawn against each other.

I know I'll get my answer either way on Wednesday when CONCACAF hold the Nations League Draw for A, B, and C in Las Vegas but in the fall (Sept-Oct-Nov) will it be two match windows per FIFA break? 

Canpl.ca in one of their CanMNT articles is suggesting they will be!

Important Dates:

– March 27: CONCACAF Nations League draw
– April 10: 2019 Gold Cup draw
– June 15-July 7: 2019 Gold Cup
– 2-10 September 2019: Nations League match window (Matchday 1 & Matchday 2)
– 7-15 October 2019: Nations League match window (Matchday 3 & Matchday 4)
– 11-19 November 2019: Nations League match window (Matchday 5 & Matchday 6)

link: https://canpl.ca/article/what-now-stage-now-set-for-canada-in-2019

Edited by Thomas

22 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

I know I'll get my answer either way on Wednesday when CONCACAF hold the Nations League Draw for A, B, and C in Las Vegas but in the fall (Sept-Oct-Nov) will it be two match windows per FIFA break? 

Canpl.ca in one of their CanMNT articles is suggesting they will be!

Important Dates:

– March 27: CONCACAF Nations League draw
– April 10: 2019 Gold Cup draw
– June 15-July 7: 2019 Gold Cup

I think it's 1 game each window for group a and 2 for the lower groups like how it was for UEFA, as they're using a basic home and away format.

4 games for teams in group A, 6 for group B, a mix for group C. There may be a single window with 2 games.

Edited by matty

15 minutes ago, matty said:

I think it's 1 game each window for group a and 2 for the lower groups like how it was for UEFA, as they're using a basic home and away format.

4 games for teams in group A, 6 for group B, a mix for group C. There may be a single window with 2 games.

Two teams will play 1 game each window and one will play two because otherwise one team wouldn’t play every window. 

For example: match day 1:

canada vs USA 

USA vs Cuba

matchday 2

canada vs Cuba 

usa vs canada

match day 3

cuba vs USA 

Cuba vs Canada 

5 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Two teams will play 1 game each window and one will play two because otherwise one team wouldn’t play every window. 

For example: match day 1:

canada vs USA 

USA vs Cuba

matchday 2

canada vs Cuba 

usa vs canada

match day 3

cuba vs USA 

Cuba vs Canada 

I know I touched on that in my comment, with a bit of uncertainty because I'm doing a dozen things at once and didn't wanna give it full thought, but yea there will be 1 window with 2 games.

24 minutes ago, matty said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works........

"A rather large potential problem here, Joshewa Frederick booked against Jamaica and Saint Lucia and thus suspended, starts for Cayman. My records are NOT OFFICIAL, and @Concacaf's data is complete crap (see Bermuda - El Salvador), but this could Montserrat at minimum a 3-0 win"

That puts El Salvador and Monserrat on a tie breaker decided by goals scored away , as they are tied on points, GF,  GA, and Monserrat come out on top

Edited by Jmhutchinson

9 hours ago, Jmhutchinson said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works........

"A rather large potential problem here, Joshewa Frederick booked against Jamaica and Saint Lucia and thus suspended, starts for Cayman. My records are NOT OFFICIAL, and @Concacaf's data is complete crap (see Bermuda - El Salvador), but this could Montserrat at minimum a 3-0 win"

That puts El Salvador and Monserrat on a tie breaker decided by goals scored away , as they are tied on points, GF,  GA, and Monserrat come out on top

Someone brought that up earlier. The conclusion seemed to be that this player didn't actually get booked in one of those games (the Jamaica game I think).

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Someone brought that up earlier. The conclusion seemed to be that this player didn't actually get booked in one of those games (the Jamaica game I think).

I was reading elsewhere that part of the confusion was based around the fact that the player in question wore #2 in one game and #5 in the other.

I like how twitter is functioning as the Montserrat equivalent of the Voyageurs board with no shortage of rampant speculation, conspiracy theories and outrage.  Only difference is the posters are the players and FA administrators themselves.  They just need a PhillyJawnGuy character to join in and ask the question "when will the US catch up to the greatness of Montserrat?"    

20 hours ago, matty said:

Yes.

20 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

and also yes, I assume as follows:

September:
Matchday 1: A vs B
Matchday 2: A vs C

October:
Matchday 3: B vs C
Matchday 4: B vs A

November:
Matchday 5: C vs A
Matchday 6: C vs B

Now, you can of course play a friendly on the matchdays where you do not have a game.

Now CONCACAF will likely not allow us to be "C" in our group unless we host both games at BC Place (The possibility of cold and snow! - November in Canada *gasp*).

Being "B" and hosting two games in October would be terrible because we want that to be the window where preferably we play only one Nations League game (away) and don't even play a friendly. Why? Because we want to send a top U23 squad to Costa Rica. Ideally 1996's and older only for the senior team so no:

Davies
Pantemis
Busti
Brault-Guillard
Cornelius
Godinho
Miller
Millar
Fraser
David
Tabla
And guys listed here http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-announces-squad-for-concacaf-men-s-under-20-championship-p160421
and here http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-announces-squad-for-the-concacaf-men-s-under-20-championship-p161897

That leaves us wanting to be team "A"; two home friendlies in September. 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Did you notice that CNl semi finals and final will be played between 23-31 march 2020. For the short time I doubt home and away matches will be played. Surely Concacaf chooses a venue among the 4 semi finalists

Below is the schedule of the 2019–20 CONCACAF Nations League.

Stage Round Dates
Qualifying Matchday 1 6–11 September 2018
Matchday 2 11–16 October 2018
Matchday 3 16–20 November 2018
Matchday 4 21–24 March 2019
Group phase Matchday 1 2–10 September 2019
Matchday 2
Matchday 3 7–15 October 2019
Matchday 4
Matchday 5 11–19 November 2019
Matchday 6
Final championship Semi-finals 23–31 March 2020
Final

2 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Did you notice that CNl semi finals and final will be played between 23-31 march 2020. For the short time I doubt home and away matches will be played. Surely Concacaf chooses a venue among the 4 semi finalists

Below is the schedule of the 2019–20 CONCACAF Nations League.

Stage Round Dates
Qualifying Matchday 1 6–11 September 2018
Matchday 2 11–16 October 2018
Matchday 3 16–20 November 2018
Matchday 4 21–24 March 2019
Group phase Matchday 1 2–10 September 2019
Matchday 2
Matchday 3 7–15 October 2019
Matchday 4
Matchday 5 11–19 November 2019
Matchday 6
Final championship Semi-finals 23–31 March 2020
Final

Semi-final and final to be played Winnipeg. Calling it now! ;)