General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

35 minutes ago, matty said:

I just realized Montserrat, a nation with less than 5k people, has a very good chance at qualifying for the Gold Cup.

Any combo Canada def. or draw F.G. (we'll win), Bermuda draw DR or Barbados draw or def. Nicagagua get them in.

Anybody still living on an Island that could essentially explode at any given time pretty much have no fucks left to give.  That is not a football team I want to play against. 

6 minutes ago, matty said:

That's true of likely every program in the world that does something unexpected by most outside the program. Like fuck

But how many in CONCACAF truely see them qualifying as unexpected when they look at their own rosters?

1 minute ago, admin said:

Anybody still living on an Island that could essentially explode at any given time pretty much have no fucks left to give.  That is not football team I want to play against. 

so like anyone living near a volcano you don't want to play against? feel positive man, you of everyone should want more positive vibes hitting concacaf

Just now, KW519 said:

But how many in CONCACAF truely see them qualifying as unexpected when they look at their own rosters?

well most of their roster is playing england d5-10. i think they have only 2 pro level players. there are a number of teams with more talent playing at higher levels that might not or have failed to qualify for the gold cup

4 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Don’t they have 2 fully pro players and the rest play in the lower leagues of England 

They have a player in league 1, league 2, Norways top flight, and a few players in the 5th tier with David Edgar. 

4 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Quite happy that Canada will finish first should they win tomorrow by any score line as Martinique are the only undefeated side of CNLQ but with a GD of +8

This isn’t quite true either since either Haiti or Cuba - who play each other - are also perfect so far. If Canada and Haiti both win by the same score today then Haiti will remain in first place.

That said, our boys should be looking at this as a chance to finish first (rather than being most concerned with not losing by at least 4 goals even though, practically speaking that is the minimum score that I think gets us into trouble of failing to qualify for the Gold Cup).

7 hours ago, Keegan said:

Looking very likely that either Bermuda or Guyana will be in League A, which is insane.. 

For Bermuda it's all or or nothing - they win and they're in the Gold Cup and League A, anything else and they're in League B.  

As a Jamaican and Guyanese descendent... Its crazy for me to see that Guyana has not only qualified for the GC, but also potentially in group A CNL over Jamaica. 

Looking at these standings, Jamaica is probably the biggest disappointment especially since their previous GC success, and their quality vs the rest. 

I love the nations league already! 

Hate to be that guy, but Jamaica - El Salvador should be investigated for match fixing. Both goals were extremely suspicious. Blakes error on the first goal was farcical, never seen one so bad. The Jamaican defender on the second goal, who was about a foot taller than the Salvadorian forward on the play, didn't even jump for the ball, and Blake didn't move.

Jamaica looked so lethargic all game. Not at all how they've been playing the last few years. 

27 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Hate to be that guy, but Jamaica - El Salvador should be investigated for match fixing. Both goals were extremely suspicious. Blakes error on the first goal was farcical, never seen one so bad. The Jamaican defender on the second goal, who was about a foot taller than the Salvadorian forward on the play, didn't even jump for the ball, and Blake didn't move.

Jamaica looked so lethargic all game. Not at all how they've been playing the last few years. 

Don't think it would benefit Jamaica to be match fixing. But the goals although suspect, I think Blake got caught between to minds - it happens, see Karius in the CCL final. They ultimately just looked unprepared, and probably underestimated them. Its their first lost to El Salvador since 2000, when their coach Theodore Whitmore was in the squad. 

7 hours ago, KW519 said:

Almost their whole squad was born and raised in England. There are bigger underdogs our there than them 

Just because much of their squad was born in England doesn't mean they can draw from all of England or something. The guys that play for them still have to have ties to Montserrat. Their population is half of the population of the small town I grew up in. My small town men's team folded not long after I moved to Toronto. I mean come on. Who are these bigger underdogs out there? And maybe I'm way off base, but I'm guessing if they had big aspirations for this qualifying before it began, it would be to qualify for League B. I would be very surprised if they had serious thoughts about qualifying for the Gold Cup (but I'm sure all the players have in the back of their mind thoughts of qualifying for the Gold Cup and League A, as all players should).

Is there anywhere to watch highlights of these games? In particular the Jamaica vs El Salvador game? I just googled and the closest thing I could find was from PES 2019, but El Salvador only won 1-0 so I figured it wasn't accurate enough.

17 minutes ago, Kent said:

Is there anywhere to watch highlights of these games? In particular the Jamaica vs El Salvador game? I just googled and the closest thing I could find was from PES 2019, but El Salvador only won 1-0 so I figured it wasn't accurate enough.

The CNL twitter account has small highlight pakcages of the games.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Just because much of their squad was born in England doesn't mean they can draw from all of England or something. The guys that play for them still have to have ties to Montserrat. Their population is half of the population of the small town I grew up in. My small town men's team folded not long after I moved to Toronto. I mean come on. Who are these bigger underdogs out there? And maybe I'm way off base, but I'm guessing if they had big aspirations for this qualifying before it began, it would be to qualify for League B. I would be very surprised if they had serious thoughts about qualifying for the Gold Cup (but I'm sure all the players have in the back of their mind thoughts of qualifying for the Gold Cup and League A, as all players should).

Ya but the UK has more Montserrat born residents than Montserrat. Still a small player pool, but those players are exposed to higher quality development than players in countries like Suriname Dominica and St Lucia (The nations around them). Take half of your small town and drop it off in the UK. 30 years down the line that small town blood line in the UK will produce better players than the ones that stayed in your small town, and all the small towns around you. We're seeing that now with Montserrat, and they will only get stronger with more generations born in the UK

Edited by KW519

41 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Ya but the UK has more Montserrat born residents than Montserrat. Still a small player pool, but those players are exposed to higher quality development than players in countries like Suriname Dominica and St Lucia (The nations around them). Take half of your small town and drop it off in the UK. 30 years down the line that small town blood line in the UK will produce better players than the ones that stayed in your small town, and all the small towns around you. We're seeing that now with Montserrat, and they will only get stronger with more generations born in the UK

But FIFA rules dont work like that though... Right? 

How many generations deep can you go. Doesn't eligibility go as far as a players grandparents. 

28 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

How many generations deep can you go. Doesn't eligibility go as far as a players grandparents. 

Theoretically each subsequent generation could continue filling in the paperwork for Monserrat citizenship and keep that eligibility train rolling along.

10 hours ago, matty said:

so like anyone living near a volcano you don't want to play against? feel positive man, you of everyone should want more positive vibes hitting concacaf

My statement is essentially  a compliment. 

Montserrat's population was down to about a 1000 people at one point because the islands volcano became active and wiped out the capital city in the 90's

I am saying that those strong willed people still living there and those brave enough to return to place scientists still consider dangerous,  have to be tough as nails so to speak.  

The population has gone back up some, and the mass exodus from the island to England the US has probably helped their soccer program.

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

As long as Montserratians continue to leave the island and have children in the UK really

3 hours ago, devioustrevor said:

Theoretically each subsequent generation could continue filling in the paperwork for Monserrat citizenship and keep that eligibility train rolling along.

...or they can do what Carl Fletcher did and play for the country where they live so they not just participate in the GoldCup, but actually win it. Good luck to Montserrat if they benefit from a one off bizarre transitional qualification process.