General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

8 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Jamaica not looking dangerous at all.

It also doesn't help their cause that Andre Blake has been horrible in goal.  Gifted El Salvador a goal by dropping a free kick, and gifted them two other opportunities with a horrible kick and a horrible throw.

12 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I think this result with Jamaica losing qualifies us for the Gold Cup without even playing tomorrow. Even if we lost by a really large margin the lowest we could finish would be  8th place.

Nah if we lost like 12-0 we’d drop below monsteratt and could fall out of the gold cup depending on other results 

9 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I think this result with Jamaica losing qualifies us for the Gold Cup without even playing tomorrow. Even if we lost by a really large margin the lowest we could finish would be  8th place.

Technically I don't think we have qualified yet. There are currently 9 teams with at least 9 points (one of which, Martinique, has 12). 3 more could potentially join - one of Dominican Republic or Bermuda, Nicaragua and French Guiana. If we lost 6-0 to French Guiana, I believe they and Jamaica would move ahead of us in the standings on goal differential as well as Guyana who are on plus 11. We would also fall behind Cuba who are plus 14 (unless they also lose 6-0 to Haiti). So we would drop to 9th in that scenario. Then it would be a matter of seeing whether any of DR, Bermuda (who are on plus 11) and Nicaragua would finish ahead on superior goal differential as well.

But it is pretty astronomical in terms of the chances of all of this happening, the 2-0 win for El Salvador made it more likely that we have qualified.

2 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Nah if we lost like 12-0 we’d drop below monsteratt and could fall out of the gold cup depending on other results 

Yes you are right if we lost by a really large margin it is mathematically possible to not qualify if the other 3 teams that could possibly get to 9 points did that.

4 hours ago, devioustrevor said:

Not necessarily.  If Nicaragua beats Barbados and their is a winner in the Bermuda-Dominican Republic game, Montserrat will still miss out on the Gold Cup.

I just realized Montserrat, a nation with less than 5k people, has a very good chance at qualifying for the Gold Cup.

Any combo Canada def. or draw F.G. (we'll win), Bermuda draw DR or Barbados draw or def. Nicagagua get them in.

Very shocking surprises tonight with Curacao losing 2-1 to Antigua & Barbuda, Suriname knocking out St Kitts 2-0, and El Salvador getting the job done against Jamaica at home with a packed crowd at Estadio Cuscatlan

A big congratulations to Forge's Emery Welshman who scored the GWG sending Guyana to the Gold Cup for the first time ever! Having a player at the regions official tournament looks good for the CPL

Quite happy that Canada will finish first should they win tomorrow by any score line as Martinique are the only undefeated side of CNLQ but with a GD of +8

Rooting for Dominican Republic and Nicaragua tomorrow so the finish Top 10 as opposed to (no offence) lower ranked countries like Bermuda and Monserrat who know one knows about. Still would be cool but for marketing purposes and commercial reasons it's important to have the most recognizable Nations at this summers tournament and I think that's happened/will occur

1 minute ago, Blackjack15 said:

...Rooting for Dominican Republic and Nicaragua tomorrow so the finish Top 10 as opposed to (no offence) lower ranked countries like Bermuda and Monserrat who know one knows about. Still would be cool but for marketing purposes and commercial reasons it's important to have the most recognizable Nations at this summers tournament and I think that's happened/will occur

I want Montserrat to qualify. It's kind of a feel good underdog story soccer mythology is built on.

8 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Almost their whole squad was born and raised in England. There are bigger underdogs our there than them 

It's not about the players here, it's about the idea of a tiny island, the smallest in the entirety of FIFA, qualifying for a major tournament. It's the idea of that entire island, that's never even made it to the Caribbean Cup, cheering as they play their first ever match in a tournament almost everyone assumed they would never make it to. It's the stuff of BBC human interest docs or a TV movie.

Edited by matty

6 minutes ago, matty said:

cheering as they play their first ever match in a tournament almost everyone assumed they would never make it to.

True. I still think the program itself had higher expectations than you probably give them credit for. 

3 minutes ago, KW519 said:

True. I still think the program itself had higher expectations than you probably give them credit for. 

That's true of likely every program in the world that does something unexpected by most outside the program. Like fuck are you not are all surprised by this success and are excited for them?

Edited by matty