General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

I'm really hoping Montserrat wins tonight and continues their amazing run. They have 2 wins already and were just seconds away from earning a point against El Salvador. Even though they're only +2 on 6 points, they could still make it very interesting for that last Gold Cup spot with another win. Their goal difference could be among the weakest of all the teams that end up on 9 points, but if a few of the teams currently ahead of them with 6 points were to draw their final match, there might be a chance to grab that 10th spot.

I'm pretty excited for the idea of Guyana, St Kitts, and Dominican Republic qualifying for the Gold Cup for the first time!!

Not only because Justin Springer and Emery Welshman are there but DR will be able to attract some bigger name players of descent. Starting off in Spain which there is tons and the headliner is Real Madrid's Mariano. Playing in Nations League A as well; it's big for these 3 countries 

Nicaragua will qualify as they play Barbados and Bermuda will lose for sure

El Salvador might miss the gold cup which is really a huge blow for Concacaf in terms of interest because they have a large fanbase in the US and always sell tons of tickets 

Wished that Puerto Rico was good at soccer, (Own domestic league, US Citizenship, used to have a pro team in the NASL, etc) they have all the tools to be but for some reason results aren't coming by

image.jpeg.97a4c3f4ccedc76da55ee8e7860dd3aa.jpeg.image.thumb.jpeg.1be85e0db36f96eab9a404d27c784b48.jpeg

Edited by Thomas

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

Nicaragua will qualify as they play Barbados and Bermuda will lose for sure

I wouldn't be so confidant considering Bermuda just beat El Salvador in the last round.

And Barbados aren't bad either; there's certainly no reason to think Nicaragua will have a free win against them away from home.

Montserrat currently up 2-1 on Cayman Islands, but @caribbeanfooty on Twitter tweeted out earlier that Cayman Islands seems to have a guy in the starting line-up who has picked up two yellow cards in previous games and should've been suspended.  So there may be a chance Montserrat get a 3-0 walkover.

Edited by devioustrevor

11 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

Montserrat currently up 2-1 on Cayman Islands, but @caribbeanfooty on Twitter tweeted out earlier that Cayman Islands seems to have a guy in the starting line-up who has picked up two yellow cards in previous games and should've been suspended.  So there may be a chance Montserrat get a 3-0 walkover.

Unlikely to make a difference since their GD is already so low.

10 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

That was just fucking awful. Why am I not surprised that's the game winning goal between two Tier III Nations?

I don't know what's worse: The Goalkeeper's shit pass or the defenders attempted clearance by kicking it full force vs a Monserrat player only to end up in one of their strikers feet and the GK out of position

image.jpeg

Edited by Thomas

22 minutes ago, jtpc said:

If Montserrat hadn't given up that 94th minute goal against El Salvador in their first match, they'd currently be leading qualifying with 10 points. ?

With that point they are in the Gold Cup.  The only teams capable of getting 10 points right now are the 6 teams that started this round on 9 points.

7 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

That was just fucking awful. Why am I not surprised that's the game winning goal between two Tier III Nations?

I don't know what's worse: The Goalkeeper's shit pass or the defenders attempted clearance by kicking it full force vs a Monserrat player only to end up in one of their strikers feet and the GK out of position

image.jpeg

dos equis facepalm GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

So for monsteratt to go through this is what they need:

So their best chance requires both Canada to beat FG and Jamaica to beat El Salvador. 

Now for the remaining 6 teams on 6 points 4 play each other Guyana vs Belize and Dominican Republic vs Bermuda. Now assuming Jamaica and Canada have won their games only one of these games have to result in a tie for monsteratt to advance. If El Salvador is to win, either both games must result in a tie or Suriname must beat Saint Kitts and Nevis or Barbados must beat Nicaragua. So the odds are definitely against monsteratt but they still got a chance.

13 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I don't think 4 games was enough to sort this out.  They had enough matchdays to play as many as 8 games.  That would likely be expensive but even 6 would've made more sense

I think it's fine. There will be some teams playing in leagues they probably shouldn't but it will be easily enough to move up and down once the real thing gets started. Realistically it was either this, or seed teams based on ranking.

Montserrat currently sits 7th. Technically, there are 8 countries with 6 points who could potentially catch them, but since our chances of defeating French Guiana are extremely good, it's more like 7. Montserrat can afford to have 3 of those 7 countries win their final match. If that happened, they'd grab the 10th and final Gold Cup spot.

We'll see if their chances improve or diminish after tonight. 4 of the 7 teams who could pass them are playing tonight. Saint Kitts and Nevis is away at Suriname, so Montserrat will definitely be hoping for a draw or a Suriname home victory in order to take SKN out of the picture. Guyana is home to Belize (either one would pass Montserrat with a victory), and we'll see whether El Salvador can get to 9 points or not, playing at home against Jamaica.

18 minutes ago, Keegan said:

If Cayman Islands did in fact field an ineligible player then ES would need to win by more than 2 goals to pass Montserrat.  I like their chances of qualifying for the Gold Cup.  

There are still so many ways for Montserrat to miss out on the Gold Cup.  I want to see them qualify, but I don't feel they will.

I find it really interesting that depending on results, it is possible that British Virgin Islands (currently ranked 207th out of 211 teams in FIFA) has a chance of qualifying for League B.

If they beat Bonaire tomorrow, they will be on 4 points and will pass Turks and Caicos based on goal difference.  Of teams still remaining on either 1 or 3 points, the only one that seems likely to be able to earn points still is Grenada, but they face a Puerto Rico team that so far has proven really difficult to score on.  If the game ends in a draw, Grenada would be on 4 points and -9 GD.  If British Virgin Islands beats Bonaire they would be on 4 points and at worst a -8 GD.

This El Salvador v Jamaica game is actually a high-pressure tie.  El Salvador is in tough to qualify for the Gold Cup, even with a win.  If ES do push for the result they need then Jamaica could find itself out of Group A.  

Not that it's hugely important with their goal differential but Curacao is losing to Antigua and Barbuda. 

Edited by Keegan